1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bob Dancer's 3/4 column

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by westie, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. TXactuarial

TXactuarial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems that this definition fails when you interject randomness into a game. I could see his "fair game" definition being applicable to a game with perfect information, i.e. chess, checkers, but you can play a game of poker perfectly and still lose.

3. Franken Dean

Franken Dean Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    very interesting little article. thanks, for enlighting me.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting article, but for video poker's sake, I'm okay with Bob's original definition. There are still video poker games still out there that aren't even dealt from a standard, random poker deck: Washington state, NY state-run racinos, for example.

5. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not really sure why he thinks he has to go by the math definition of the word "fair".

Google tells me

fair = "in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate."

In VP, to me this means that each card dealt is selected at equal probability from those remaining in the deck of 52 cards.

I understand the logic behind the decision. His article just felt to me like he gave in rather quickly. Bob Dancer is not a mathmatician, so I don't know why he values those rules so high. He plays VP, he doesn't do math theory where he needs proofs which require exact definitions of terms.

I use honest when I describe a person. I can't say I've used it to describe something not living, although I know it can be used that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.