1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Blonde's Escapade in CUBA

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by Blonde_4_ever, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Jun 12, 2006
    Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Final thoughts

Memories Varadero has the potential to be a five star resort. There are many wonderful aspects to this property.
    I found it to be truly beautiful with all the Spanish type buildings with the red tile roofs and the palm trees and the lush vegetation.
    The gardeners all deserve a gold star!

The pools are gorgeous. I love the idea of having a active pool and a quiet pool. We enjoyed both swim up bars. The majority of our time was spent at the quiet pool.

The beach was beautiful.

The staff is out of this world. Every staff member we encountered from the buffets, to the bartenders, to the maids etc were smiling, friendly and eager to help you.

The bars are all amazing...particularly the two lobby bars. The liquor certainly flows freely at this resort.

Now for the bad.
    We feel like we cannot recommend this resort to others until something is done about the plumbing issues.
    We had our own set of problems but we also heard about issues in the rooms of all our friends. We were in handicapped room 28112. The shower flooded every day. We complained several times about how slowly the drain was working. People would come look at it but nothing was ever done. I finally gave up complaining and devised my own method of building a barricade with towels to try and keep the water in the shower. This was only partially successful.

Regarding the public washrooms at the resort....the people who commented that they were disgusting were right. I understand that Cuba in general has plumbing issues. I understand the need for one ply toilet paper and the requests not to put it in the toilet, However, there is no excuse for the dirt, the smell, the lack of toilet paper, paper towels, soap etc. There should be a staff member assigned to every bathroom in the resort at all times. They need to be equipped with mops, pails, disinfectant, air freshener etc. The worst ones seemed to be the washrooms near the pools, especially the active pool. We saw a "cleaner" going in with a broom!
    What is a broom going to do?!!

Also the bathrooms need to be well lit. I was starting to think that some of them were poorly lit so that you couldn't notice your surroundings!

The walkways around the property need to be illuminated at night too, but they seemed to be working on that as we left.

Next to the plumbing the thing I consider the most urgent is the bedding/mattresses. We were checked into a room with one tiny bed that could not possibly accommodate two people comfortably. We asked for a cot and one came promptly but the "mattress" literally felt like a block of wood, it was that hard. The mattress on the regular bed was not very comfortable either, but the cot was ridiculous. Memories needs get some decent mattresses.

The wifi wasn't reliable. I was told it did not work on rainy days, however it was working fine at the property next door.

About those a la carte restaurants..... We enjoyed them and they were a welcome break from the buffet however, they have their own issues. We were at Memories for a week with our brother and sister in law. We were told we were allowed two nights at the a la carte restaurants and they were told three. Why? We paid more for our trip than they paid for theirs.

Also, all week long we were told by the Sun Wing rep that the Japanese restaurant was fully booked when it clearly wasn't. This process needs to be reexamined.

Would I return to Cuba?
    Yes, but probably not to this property.

The complete trip report with pictures is here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.