1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Blackjack Tourney Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Gaggles, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good afternoon. On our trip next week I am double booked at a CET property to get an entry into a BJ tourney and some free play but staying at another MGM property.

My question to those of you who get into these is: What approach should I take? All in on first hand. 25% of stack at a time? I have no delusion that I am going to win or place in this thing but I gotta give it a shot right?

How do I play it in a BJ tourney. I have no real good idea what to do?

Thank you in advance!

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are actually some books out on this. There is a E-book that is pretty good by a guy in Mississippi that has done well.

Anyway, the problem with all in is that at least half the time (normal BJ odds) you will lose the hand. And, if you lose the hand, you are done. Over. No 2nd place, only last place.

Most will suggest you bet similar to the rest of the table and work at getting slightly ahead of the rest over time. Take advantage of any advantage plays to the max when they come up. In most BJ tournaments, you playing against others at your table or against all players in the first round.

You have to in it to win it.

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are some quick thoughts, this is not a treatise that will cover every way to play it, or every scenario that will come up:

BJ Tournaments are a lot of luck and good timing. They are usually only 20 hands long. There are 2 schools of thought on how to play these. One is to go banzai out of the gate and hope to catch some good hands and force the rest of the table to play catch up to you and hope that when they do, they bust that hand. Banzai would be betting 25% - 50% of your stack on the first few hands. Remember, you are playing against the other players, not the dealer. There will be a lot of times when you want the dealer to make a hand as your opponents have a larger bet out than you do and it hurts them more than you when the dealer makes that 5 card 21. Second way to play it is to go conservative first 10 bets or so, and then push the betting the last 10 hands. Problem with this is that you may not be getting any hands then. Main point is you really have to pay attention to stack sizes (just like poker) and not to let any of the other players get too large of a chip lead. It is all about playing the stack sizes and adjusting your bets accordingly. Also try to remember to play unconventional sometimes. You may have to double on Hard 13, a total of 5, etc just to get more chips on the table if you have to catch another player's stack size. You may also need to hit a hard 17 if the chip leader has a pat 20 with a large bet out, and it looks like your 17 may not beat the dealers hand if they have a 10 showing. These tourneys are actually very nerve wracking for me. The main point is to throw the basic strategy out the window, and play against what the others at the table are doing. I have done very well letting others bust out before me, as well as getting such a large chip lead that they couldn't catch me the last 5 hands.

Good luck!

4. Homeschool

Homeschool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The biggest thing to remember is that in most cases you will be playing against your table mates more than playing against the dealer. It doesn't matter how much of your starting bankroll you lose as long as you have a little more left than anyone else at the table. Conversely, it doesn't matter if you quadruple your starting bankroll if someone else quadruples theirs plus one more chip. Keep up with what everyone else has on the table. There are many ways to approach a playing strategy. I tend to bet conservatively for the first half of the round and see what things look like then. Sooner or later, you are going to have to try and take the lead and the closer to the end of the round it is, the more important it is to get the lead. (assuming one advances, if more advance, you are playing to make the cut for advancing to the next round) If you are going for the lead, it is usually better to go for it in one big bet rather than several medium bets. There is way more to it but those are some basic pointers.
    The earlier paragraph assumes that you are playing a "winner advance" format. There are other formats. The next most common format is the "accumulation" format. In that format, you are playing against everyone in the tournament in a quest to be one of the highest chip totals after a specified number of rounds have been played. (usually 2 but sometimes one, sometimes 3 or more) Be sure and read your rules so that you will know all the details such as format, number of hands in a round, does the button rotate or is it fixed, number of players on each table, is there an opportunity to re-buy into the tournament, starting bankroll per round, and minumum/maximum bet sizes.

I highly recommend the website blackjacktournaments.com It was founded and run by Ken Smith who is pretty well recognized as one of, if not the best tournament blackjack player around. He is a heck of a nice guy too. Play around on the site. There are a lot of tournament strategy articles in addition to Ken's E-book.

I love tournaments. In live games you are fighting a mighty tough battle trying to overcome the math of the game but in a tournament all you have to do is outsmart some other players. Well, and get lucky too. Since most tournament rounds are anywhere from 15 to 30 hands, that is a pretty short sample and you have to have a little luck to prosper.

Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.