1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Black Jack Positive Progressions

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by SalSagev, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalSagev

SalSagev Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Howdy! Preparing for another Vegas safari and I am interested in other positive progression strategies.

I tend to run a conservative positive progression and never seem to win or lose much with it. Usually, I bet $10-$15-20, then back to $10 again. Logic here is if I win two hands, I am still up half unit if I lose third hand. Usually I just spin my tires doing this. At times, I can't seem to win two in a row, let alone three or more. Occasionally, I will double up to three wins ($10-$20-$40 and back to $10). This strategy obviously comes with a larger variance, but I have started playing this way more frequently lately. I realize that no strategy works if the cards are against you.

How many wins do other positive-progression players here press before resetting back to base unit? Three wins? Four wins? Or more?

Also, what win-limits have you put in place? Do you collect your profits when you double your buy-in? Or do some of you base it on a percentage of the bet unit? For example, do you consider it a winning session if you get up $100 betting dimes, or $250 betting green?

Curious to hear other thoughts on these subjects. Cheers!
    SSagev

2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will go to at least 3 wins, $10-$15-$20, after that I just go with my gut feeling. Sometimes I'll go back to $10 after 3 wins and sometimes I'll ride the streak as long as I can.

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only pull back my bet when I lose a hand or the shoe ends or dealer changes. I don't press very aggressively though (usually just a unit, or maybe two, at a time). So, unless I have to split multiple times, one loss can't completely negate the profit from a good run.

I never set a win goal/limit. Instead, I'll set a stop-loss once I'm up a decent amount. If I'm up $2000, I'll tell myself I'm walking if I get down to +$1500 (and set aside a separate stack of that amount to remind me, if I've had a few). If I continue to win, I'll raise the stop-loss accordingly.

Number 50!
  4. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do the separate stack too...it helps me remember to lock up a win if my stack in front of me gets eaten up.

5. Gamesman

Gamesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually try for three wins in a row, then back to base. If I'm struggling I'll do two bets then back to base.

So if my base bet is $50 and I win, next bet is $100. If I win I go to $200, and then back to base bet if I win or lose. If I lose the $100 bet, I go back to base.

If I win a double or a split hand, I still go up to only double the base or pressed bet. I keep the doubled or split portion of the win.

6. PayTriple

PayTriple The Cucumber King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I use a positive progression, I use an approx 50% increase, and just let it ride until the streak dies or you hit the table limit (!)
    For example, 10, 15, 22, 33, 50, 75, 100, 150 etc.

This way, you REALLY capitalize on a long win streak, which is rare, but is akin to hitting a Jackpot in slot games.

I don't think Black Jack is the best game to look for long win streaks, since the actual percentage of winning hands is more like 45% instead of closer to 48-49% in other games such as Baccarat or single Zero roulette.
    Thus, long win streaks are more common in Baccarat or single Zero roulette (outside even money bets).
    Another disadvantage of BJ is that you might have to double down when your bet is large, and you might not want to risk that much money.
    However, one advantage of Black Jack is that you might hit a BJ when the bet is large.

Oh well, it's just gambling!

7. Gamesman

Gamesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like this, I may try it, thanks.

8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to stick with this plan. I play low limits in BJ so @ 10$ for the initial hand I win two hands (up 20 $) and go to 16$ on the 3rd. Win the 3rd and go to 26 $ (up 36 $ at this point). I stay for two hands. If I win both I go back to 16 $. When I go back to 16 $ on the 6th hand I am up 88 $ (10+10+16+26+26). ANY time I lose a hand in this progression I am back to 10 $.

Two things......IF I make it back to 16 $ a hand after visiting 26 $ I am still betting 6 $ more than my base level of 10 $ and not risking a larger wager that I may not have the juju to double or split (or heaven forbid split then double) at the higher rate; I have some profit socked away for the inevitable 5 consecutive base loss @ 10 $.

I use even amounts to bet so when / if a bj comes I am paid in whole dollars rather than 1/2 dollar amounts.

When I buy in it is usually for 200 $ at a 5 $ / 10 $ table. I have my pile on my left side near my left hand and monies I win (take from the betting circle) I put / stack on the right side of my area against the rail. When I have lost my buy-in (20 losses at 10 $ per) I evaluate my standing by looking at the stack against the rail and comparing it to the 200 $ buy in. I do this because in previous years I would have to count my entire stack to evaluate my standing which as I imbibed became more and more challenging. As I place $ on the right side I will usually change the greens (usually 4 on a 200 $ buy-in) from the left pile to simplify counting what has been won. It works for me....lets me know where I stand and allows me to walk with a profit more easily.

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  9. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play low-limit blackjack as well.
    Here is my "progression" strategy:
    Base bet is $10
    On a count of minus-2, I go to $5
    On a count of plus-2, I go to $15 or $20
    On a count of plus-3, I go to $20 or $25
    On a count of plus-4, I go to $30 or $40
    On a count of plus-5, I go to $50.

I rarely bet more than $50 (unless my base bet is $25).

Seems to work pretty well.
    :wink2:

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  10. Fafa2e

Fafa2e Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a moderate progressive system starting at $25, add $5 after first win then $10 for each successive win, keep the same bet on a push and back to base bet $25 on a loss or surrender. If I am winning, or just feel like playing larger, I will double this progression by starting with $50, add $10 after first win then $20 for each successive win. It can get a little scary, when you get on a run and you may be betting over $200 / hand and need to split/double using basic strategy, but you can also win a lot in those situations.

Bonus Money to Burn
  11. mescalita

mescalita High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :nworthy:

12. Rhode2Vegas

Rhode2Vegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Start at 1 unit, the table minimum. Every time I win two hands, the third will be +1 unit. On a loss return back to 1 unit.

13. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Topcard's kind of progression is for me. Of course, it involves probability, which is just a rumor to a lot of folks, and practice, which takes time and effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.