1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bill Cosby

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was between 12 - 15 (I'm 65 now), he put out a lot of comedy albums that we all could quote verbatim. We loved the guy, especially because he was from Philly.

We saw him in Vegas in the '70's and he acknowledged us from the stage when he asked who was Philly.

All of those years playing a really decent family guy.

The Cosby Kids cartoons.

Now this.

All of this just saddens me so much to know we were all deceived.

Is the whole world just a façade?

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Riiiight…What’s a cubit?

I remember getting into my parents old LPs when I was a kid and loving that bit. But yeah, it’s sad. He was “America’s Dad” during my childhood.

Number 50!
  3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as a not so young life long Cosby fan, I'm shutting my eyes and waiting for the whole thing to shake out
    before rendering my own judgement

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was an only child till I was 10 (I'm now 56) and my Dad worked a lot of nights, so after school, I'd come home and watch shows like Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas, etc. AND listen to comedy albums with my Dad... just the 2 of us. He had ALL the Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson, George Carlin and others albums. We'd lay on the couches and just crack-up!!! Something about having to concentrate on just the sounds made it SO much funnier. When my Mom would get home like at 6, we'd be repeating all the phrases, "Hey, Hey, Hey!!!" and others.

To this point, I hold out that these are just "allegations", but DAMN... so many of them... where there's smoke, there's usually fire!

5. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately i think we have enough to begin passing judgement. I've followed this fairly closely and there's just too much for there not to be some pretty egregious wrongdoing on the part of Cosby.

6. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was just commenting to someone a few weeks ago that it was cool how he was telling America's youth to pull up thier pants,act respectfully and get a job...Hopefully some of them listened..instead of thinking ol' Bill is cool now,getting women like that..

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They all thought that he was going to help them advance their careers. how was he going to do that from the privacy of his hotel suite?

Did they think he had a power point presentation set up there with a big conference table and training book? Then afterwards he would bring in the heads of some hr departments so they could network with them and pass out their resumes?

is that really what we are supposed to believe?

Or is the scenario something like they saw a rich, powerful hollywood actor who could help advance their career. If they go to his hotel room with him and maybe fool around a bit he might introduce them to some agents or studio types or some such thing. Its a win win. he is good looking, rich and can help them out so i dont blame them for wanting to be with the guy.

The get to the room, fool around and he never calls again.

They feel like dirt because they thought they were going to get more out of it then what they actually got. They keep going back doing the same thing hoping for a different result.

40 years later it morphs into that he is a monster and must have hooked them on some sort of drugs because no way would they have gone back dozens of times on their own.

No police of course as Bill Cosby must be somehow so powerful he is immune from prosecution or laws.

It just doesnt make sense. Not as much sense as a class action civil suit so they all get a pay out like Gloria Allred suggested just the other day.

8. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't pay much attention to any of it for a while, never know who is trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. But then you hear the times people have tried to talk to him about it, once he just sat their and shook his head no. Another one, he demanded the mic be turned off (it really wasn't) then him and his people really started tearing into the reporter.

He hasn't really handled this like an innocent man, or he's fed up with it?

9. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not the whole world, the worst of it is that his aids were complicate in his actions, getting the girls, getting rid of the girls, getting some of them pregnancy tests, etc. Cosby was rich and powerful, once he got away with it a few times he probably thought he was invincible. The saying that power corrupts is absolutely true.

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's getting so bad that pretty soon the news stories will be about the few women who were not taken advantage off by him.

11. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Statute of limitations in all but maybe 1 or 2 of all these but Gloria wants Bill to lift that so he can be cleared of all this. Sure.

Here we go again!
  12. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of celebs,pols,sports figures and other high profile people do have a dark side like a lot of us mere mortals at times. Trouble is when its the famous people who get accused or get caught its big news. When my daughter was in college she worked summers at a bar near a convention center. They did a lot of autograph signings there and sometimes some of these a-list players would hop in a limo and ride over to this place. More than one of these guys asked her to take a limo ride and party back at their hotel, I wont mention names ,but I'm talking hall-of-famers.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "How long can you tread water." became kind of a catch phrase in my crowd back in high school. :)

Shocked, saddened. I thought he was one who was way above pulling that kind of stuff! :(

14. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to try to compartmentalize so I can still enjoy the comedy. Sometimes the greater the achievements, the darker the dark side.

15. booker

booker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Around 1969-71, my buddy and I went to his show in Seattle at the Seattle Center. That night was also the SeaFair parade and something else happening and if you didn't get there early (we did) you simply could not get there. Cosby came out on time and announced that the show would start late. We were disappointed, but he did not leave the stage! He riffed for at least an hour, very Robin Williams like. I remember having those of us in the audience watch certain entrances for couples who entered then picked on them, especially those who were older. To this day, the prelude to the show was the funniest thing I have ever experienced.

It looks like another of my icons bites the dust. I'm saddened.

16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I surely appreciate listening to FACTS and not some crazy person either.

But, with 20-30 woman coming forth, you begin to wonder. Especially when you realize they are not going to get anything out of it. 30 years? 40 years?

I too am sad. An American icon in shambles.

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't presume that this is sour grapes on the part of his accusers. It hard to accuse someone of assault now, can you imagine how much more difficult it was then? And showbiz is an institution where they are going to protect their star. I wanted to ignore this stuff but people have known some of these stories for a long time and never let them see the light of day. There seems to be a money trail out there and that may be what damns him.

18. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the irony of him telling others to pull their pants up

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too was sad to hear these stories. I tried for a long time to believe they weren't true, but I may have lived a bit too much to be that naive.

I just hope that we can have a civil discussion about a topic people can be passionate about. Hint: If you feel like a cable news pundit, you're doing it wrong. :)

20. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

It's wierd....I just finished this new Cosby Bio book that's out there and all this
    Cosby stuff explodes ?
    The book states Cosby always had a roving eye.
    What young, male star wouldn't ?
    He took care of a baby girl thru college which turned out wasn't his "love child".
    The guy has given millions of dollars to colleges for student scholarships......charities, etc.
    He's been thru these allegations before and his strategy has ALWAYS been to say nothing.
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that strategy since Media + Public Opinion has already lynched him.
    Cousin Eddie points out alot of truths in his post.
    Was Bill Cosby way ahead of his time with the "Date Rape Drug" ?
    We're talking late sixies with some of these incidents.
    One of the News rags had a headline...something like ...."Cosby rapes 16 Playboy Bunnies".
    Cosby's vision is shot.......he can only see directly in front.....and how much ?
    He was "Mr. Televison Sit Com"
    yet, he had MANY failed TV shows before his hit show.
    He was incredibly hard, demanding on his TV writers -
    to the point that MOST TV writers declined to write for his shows.
    His first money manager left him broke --
    squandering his money on personal luxuries and poor investments.
    Cosby has handed that part of his business to his wife.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.