1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Big Wong Thread

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by schwaiguy, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwaiguy

schwaiguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope I don't regret this, but it's time to let the cat out of the bag. The cat is Big Wong. I've been going here for a few years now. The food is great and for the price it nearly matches South Point's Coronado Cafe taxi driver menu.

I usually stop here every other day when I'm in in Vegas. I usually eat shrimp fried wonton and salt pepper wings, 8 pieces of each for $5. My wife never misses the sizzling vegetable platter.

I consider the owner a genius for opening up to take the the overflow of 30-60 minute waits at Raku and Monta.

Keep in mind, Big Wong is not gourmet. It's more of a Chinese greasy spoon, or I may consider it somewhat New York City Chinese. However, I know of several people originally from that part of the world who have vouched for its authenticity.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/aug/31/big-wong-serves-magical-combination-tasty-and-chea/

http://www.eatinglv.com/2011/06/big-wong-brings-the-beef/

Schwaiguy

2. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep meaning to go there. Not only to eat but to buy one of the Big Wong t shirts.

3. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know there are a lot of people that would agree with you on Big Wong's but our meal was disappointing. Here are my March/April TR notes: This restaurant has been on my bucket list for what seems forever. The interior is small and dumpy - not a first date destination unless you are trying to send a message. Staffing appeared to be a husband and wife with one other person in the kitchen. My wife chose the shrimp wonton soup which was salty and pretty much devoid of flavor though the wontons were good. I ordered the steamed chicken with mushrooms, Chinese sausage and choy som which was just okay. We also shared a mango pudding that also was just okay. Service was good and prices low, but I do not consider our meal a bargain because the food quality and ambiance were below average.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later in the trip we dined at Wendy's Noodle Cafe which, for only a few dollars more, was much nicer in terms of both ambiance and quality. We also received complimentary glasses of hot tea, a small saucer of peanuts and cups of wonton soup which more than offset the price differential IMHO.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. schwaiguy

schwaiguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Westie,

As always I honor your opinion. Realistically, I use this place for cheap appetizers, and it serves well.

schwaiguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.