1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Beware realID Laws

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by RealSolGlow, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The real ID laws are starting to come into play when it comes to flying in the United States. If you're not familiar with the real ID requirement here is a link and be prepared for some delays if your state does not have an extension on the enforcement of the law.

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is there to beware of, exactly? They've stated repeatedly that they'll give at least 120 days notice before they start enforcing regulations that might interfere with travel. And given that the only true non-compliant states/territories are Minnesota and American Samoa (about half the states have compliant IDs, and the other half have extensions through at least the summer), I don't think there's a ton to worry about.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our travel department at work has repeatedly said this is a non-issue.

4. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You dont even need an ID to fly, let alone a compliant one, they may ask you a dozen questions, and it' will take time, but you will fly.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thing has been kicked around and "warned" for a few years now. Nobody, and I mean nobody has had an issue. The news agencies pick up on this every few months. One reports it, and the others folow. Then it goes away.

And, by the way, you are not REQUIRED to have an ID to fly.

6. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One tidbit about minnesota- which is a non-compliant st - the dept of transportation is actually forbidden by state law from issuing compliant licenses. This is because when the feds issued their "demands" that all licenses be compliant, the state govt said why should we pay for it, and forbid its adoption.

The govornor want's that changed, and it will happen, but will take years before all licenses are issued.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have indicated that you can probably still fly but have not given any indication what the other verification steps may be. The reporting on the story has been inconsistent. I knew Illinois wasn't compliant but the info that our extension was up and not being renewed came out only a couple weeks before we are due to expire. I've been planning to get a passport and would have had it done by now if I had known.

8. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Theres been more than one trip report here about someone getting to the airport without their DL
    Short story? Answer a few questions and they let you fly anyways, so chill out

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everything I've heard, TSA will likely wait 120 days for enforcement (whatever that entails). Missouri likely is denied another extension as well. :( But personally I'm still covered until summer 2020 as long as I can remember where my passport is. :eek:

10. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NJ was just granted an extension until Oct. 10, 2016 to become compliant.

11. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My whole point about this is there are certain states that the law can be enforced on beginning January 10, 2015. I do believe those states were already notified of the 120 day requirement by the TSA to begin enforcing the law if they so choose to.

I also know you are not required to have an I.D. to fly, however filling out the necessary paper work and waiting while they do their part to verify your identity could take hours if they wanted it to be a headache for individuals.

This is just a heads up as to what some fliers can expect if they are traveling from those states listed as being in violation with more to come if not granted extensions or the law changed/modified.

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, no big for an isolated person here or there. But this is going to affect millions of people. I know you can use a passport but it would be useful to know if there is other supplementary ID you can bring to speed this up.

13. mganut

mganut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I am also a resident of the "continually broke" state of Illinois, we just sent sent in our passport renewals as Illinois says that they have no funds to become ID compliant.

14. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do not agree.

15. BreakEven

BreakEven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, this is going to be a fustercluck at the security lines. Think about the early days of the TSA, where nobody knew what you needed to have to fly, or what you could/could not bring on the plane. The distinction here is a little confusing. I'm sure most folks don't know what an EDL is. And if they're asked "do you have a Real ID", the response will be "OF COURSE that's a real ID! Does it look like a fake?!?!". :rolleyes2:

As far as other accepted ID's: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification. That links to a FAQ that says they'll use "other public databases" to verify your identity, but doesn't give details. Maybe facebook? :)

Only 2nd trip for year :(
  16. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pushed back again until 2018:

REAL ID Act: Department of Homeland Security Pushes Enforcement Date Back to 2018
    States not meeting the security requirements of the law risked having their ID cards denied by the Transportation Security Administration. The effective date has been pushed to Jan. 22, 2018

17. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now here is a real reason this is a PITA. In order to make compliant realIDs many states, including Wisconsin centralize the printing to do the hologram. As a result when you renew you don't get a normal ID but a temporary one on paper. Worse, Wisconsin actually takes your old ID away!

I had one of these last Vegas trip, it was a complete pain. Couldn't receive a hand pay, couldn't use credit line, actually was refused play at a PH table. If your license is gonna expire before Vegas, get your new ID a week early so you don't have to deal with this.

Flying was not a problem

18. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, even though you do not HAVE to have a real id for TSA.. it sure helps.

If near any sort of trip, get a new one.

OR - be smart. Tell them you lost yours. Then use it to get through TSA while awaiting your new ID.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I flew today. Commando.

20. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great news for travelers in the threatened states! But I'm a bit surprised they caved in again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.