1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Beware of "free" room upgrades if you're planning on asking for backend comps

Discussion in 'Comps' started by DaiLun, Sep 13, 2016.

1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, for those of you who had followed my last TR where I discussed being "overcomped". I just confirmed with my CET host that if you are "upgraded", and you are put into a higher cost room you are "charged" the higher comp room rate.

"The front desk doesn’t know how that affects your comp"

Subsequently, that affects the amount of backend comps that you are likely to get.

For example, the cost of an Augustus Tower Strip View room vs. a non-Strip view room is somewhere between $50-60 a night. If you don't travel to Las Vegas more than once a year, or don't take backend comps, it probably won't matter.

And, since CET has (apparently) changed the way that they calculate Theo, this may be significant to you.

2. VegasDragon

VegasDragon Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info!

3. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know! This has been true for awhile with MGM properties. I would arrive for a few comp nights for solo trips and used to ask for a slight upgrade at check in (example to a bigger room with Jacuzzi for instance). Then I noticed that the host would not cover as much as I expected on room charges. Never asked why (normally had to use the host on duty) until I read about upgrades affecting backend comps. Made some sense especially when some trips were higher than normal plays.

Since then I never ask/take extra upgrades for solo trips - since the room does not matter as much. Comps picked up on the backend increased since. (most of the upgrades would be between $50 - $100 rack rate upgrade costs).