1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best way to get from airport to MGM?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Pete Rose's Bookie, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Rose's Bookie

Pete Rose's Bookie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken various ways. Pros and cons across the board. One time I was absolutely screwed by a cab driver who took me for a joy ride on the interstate when I was merely going across the street to the MGM from the airport. That episode still irks me to this day.

It's so very tempting to walk, and I'm not being stingy, it's just that I've waited almost an hour for a taxi, but that was a few years ago.

Just wondering what the state of things are like now.

The MGM is probably one of the closest to the airport, so I'm assuming it may be one of the shorter shuttle rides which stops at various places.

2. Vegas Dave

Vegas Dave Newbie

Depends on when you get in and what is going on... There are many ways to check what is going on in Vegas for the time you are there, just Google it. If you arrive on a Friday night, be prepared to wait, I have heard up to a couple hours...

3. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are even considering that walk, then you might consider the way that I would do it:

1. Grab my bag off the carousel & find the stairway in the baggage claim area to "level zero".

2. When you get to the bottom, turn to the right & look for the bus stop area with benches and
    a ticket vending machine.

3. A bus called the WAX ( Westcliff Airport Express ) stops there every hour, on the hour. Okay,
    I know, the schedule varies, with more frequent stops during morning rush hour. But usually,
    it is on the hour. Complete schedule & route on www.rtcsnv.com.

4. The driver takes dollar bills or coins. The fare is $2 ( $1 for senior citizens with special ID from
    metro ). Never crowded. Luggage is not a problem -- plenty of space.

5. The bus stops on the south side of NYNY just after you cross LV Blvd. Hop off & take the
    pedestrian crossover to MGM.

6. FYI -- if you wish to go downtown some evening for the FSE light show, the WAX hits I-15
    from your stop & flies downtown! Cheapest way to get downtown!

If you have any questions, I will be happy to try & answer them.

4. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Either tell the cab driver you have been to Vegas many times and take the direct route......OR....take a shuttle because MGM Grand is the VERY FIRST stop for all shuttles......but you wait time MIGHT be a few minutes longer before you leave the Airport.....

5. Letter_E

Letter_E Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're staying on the Strip, the conversation with the cabbie should go something like this,
    "What hotel?"
    "<insert name of Strip hotel>, no tunnel, no freeway".
    And don't believe anything they say about those being "faster", or "easier", because they're only more expensive.

6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WAX is the way to go. Too hot to walk, hate to be driving around the block or watching the meter go up at the lights, and shuttle may take a few minutes to leave and MGM may not be first. You know when the WAX leaves, where to get it, what the route will be, and what the cost is.

jimbo338

7. Pete Rose's Bookie

Pete Rose's Bookie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cab line was virtually non existent when I arrived, so I opted for a taxi. I did my research ahead of time, so upon leaving I instructed the driver to take a left on Paradise, then another left on Tropicana. No issues this time.

Rate + ($1.80) airport tax + tip = $15

On the way out of the MGM I caught an airport shuttle for $7 ($10 after tip). I just had to wait for a few peeps to get into the van and then it was a straight shot to the airport.

8. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good job!

Congrats!

9. john meriman

john meriman merri by name merry by nature

Trips to Las Vegas:
    shittle

was staying in nyny about 5 years ago-shuttle dropped off downtown first -one hour and 15 minutes later arrive at nyny. this was my last shuttle.:beer::beer::wink2:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.