1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Steakhouse in Houston

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by UCLAGirl, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

Hello. Can anyone give me the name of a great steakhouse in Houston? I have a reservation at Pappa Bros but feel like I can probably go somewhere better.

Thanks

2. Moose81

Moose81 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Houston and Pappas Bros is really hard to beat in my opinion when it comes to quality of their steaks/service. Vic and Anthony's is probably the runner-up and has its own merits that trump Pappas (better bar scene if you are going at a prime hour). I've read/heard good things about Killen's Steakhouse but that's a hike out to the suburbs and I'm pretty sure the atmosphere will reflect that. Alternatively you can go with one of the national chains like Del Frisco's (another good bar scene) or Morton's, but you pretty know what you are getting when you go there.

3. kwwood

kwwood Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are near pearland (south suburb) you absolutely can not go wrong with killens
    If you do not want to go there pappas is a great second

4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel to Houston at least eight times a year. I agree on Pappas. Mortons and Del Friscos are only just more expensive, not better quality.

5. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been a few years, but "Taste of Texas" was to die for

7. kwwood

kwwood Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. Papas and Killens are going to be the two that you really cant get in other cities which is definitely something I look for when I travel and eat.
    I can eat at a Mortons or something almost anywhere.

8. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to Houston. If you're downtown there is Vic & Anothony's. Perry's is really good as well but none near downtown, the one next to Memorial City Mall near I-10 and B8 is nice.

I didn't care for Taste of Texas. It was "too casual" in my opinion. Lots of families, they don't take reservations and the system for calling me to the hostess stand was basically a Keno/Bingo board. Not the experience I was looking for.

9. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In this order is my preference.

Capital Grille, Pappas Bros, then Taste of Texas

10. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pappas is fantastic

I had a vendor take me to Brenner's and I had a delicious ribeye there. Their bread pudding is excellent too.

11. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

Thank you everyone. I may switch to Vic and Anthony only because I've never seen a good scene at Pappas. I went a few wtih an ex so I didn't really care but I want a different kind of fun when I'm with my friend. She's an engineer but lives like a hipster and dates unemployed men so the only time she goes to any "nice" places is when i'm in town.If any of you have an unemployed son in his late twenties, I'd be happy to introduce him to her to get him off your hands. She prefers white guys who don't cut or brush their hair and who look like water hasn't touched their skin in a week.

I'll be staying in the galleria area. The purpose of the trip is to go to the Canelo fight with relatives from my dad's side family who are flying in as well. They've planned everything starting Saturday morning so I only needed to plan tomorrow night with her.

12. kwwood

kwwood Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too much of Dallas bleeding into Houston lately :)
    Have fun in the city!

13. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're going to the fight then Vic and Anthony's makes sense, it's literally across the street from Minute Maid Park. I'll be hitting up Chama Gaucha tomorrow night, think Fogo De Chao but better.

14. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This cracked me up. I've been laughing for a couple minutes at this.

Have fun in Houston. The traffic will make you feel right at home assuming you're from LA.

15. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drove by MMP a few hours ago. Parking anywhere close to the stadium is pretty high. Not Beyoncé level but the lot at Texas Street and Charteres was $40 and $50

16. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This makes me laugh.
    I think many of Las Vegas's panhandlers qualify and will be very happy to date an engineer, so long as she is willing to pay the bill.

17. Superpocky

Superpocky VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to hijack UCLAgirl's thread, but how is Saltgrass Steakhouse rated amongst the locals or you steak experts?

Many years back (15?) when wife and I had a layover in Houston, en route to Orlando, we were grounded by a thunderstorm and airline put us in a La Quinta motel nearby the Houston airport. We were so hungry after checking in and asked a lady where can we have a nice piece of meat, the lady happened to be the shuttle drive for the property and she drove us to a place 5 mins away called Saltgrass. We were very young back then (and hungry) hence we felt the food was a gift from heaven, but seeing this thread made me want to ask the question. Does anyone know or can chime in? Thanks.

18. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saltgrass is good but not in the upper echelon of steakhouses.

That's a popular lunch spot and is on par with places like Outback and Longhorn around here in my opinion.

I like their food and have never had a bad meal there.

That's my $.02...glad to hear you liked it!

19. Superpocky

Superpocky VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We sure did like the food, but probably because we were young (23ish), poor, and hungry at that time! Will have to hit it again next time I'm in town to know how I feel about the place now after being an "experienced" Vegas steak eater, lol!

20. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol well after sampling the fine steakhouses in Vegas Saltgrass will not likely register in your top choices.

It's a good place though. I was there a couple weeks ago and always get the 16oz ribeye and it's a good steak.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.