1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Spot (South Rim) To View Sunset @ Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DOUBLE B, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be making a 1 day trip from Vegas to South Rim GC next month. I've heard so much about seeing the sunset at the GC. I would like to know the best place(s) to view it....any info appreciated.

2. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm also going next month.
    Someone suggested the El Tovar Lounge about 1/2 hour before sunset is a good spot. Order some appitizers and enjoy. Sunset is around 7:45pm

Superbowl Baby
  3. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tahoje2----We will be there Monday, June 10th----how about you!

4. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have never been there before, it won't matter anyway. Just about every place you go and look will be SPECTACULAR.

You can stay at El Tovar and get rooms that look out right ON the rim. When we ate there, great food and great desserts.

I am not a big fan of crowds as people get to be just stupid when crowds get bigger. By that I mean, they stop and stand in front of you, block your view, block your way, stand around not sure on what to do, etc.

When you enter the park you can head towards El Tovar, very cool hotel, the main tourist area, or you can turn RIGHT on Desert View Road. Not many people go this way.

Moran Point, Zuni Point, Papago Point, and Lipan Point were all very cool. Down by Lipan or so there is a Museum and Indian ruins. No one is in there.

By the main tourist area Yavapai, and Yaki are great views.

Be prepared for cool weather, it probably won't be cool, but you never know, as you are at 6,000 feet. Watching the morning sunrises can be chilly also.

5. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best place on the South Rim is Hopi Point. It's the highest place on the South Rim. It's located west of Canyon Village; halfway to Hermit's Rest. During the busy months the road is closed off to tourist traffic. They have shuttle buses that drop tourists off on a regular basis. Get there early to grab a good viewing spot...Grand Canyon sunsets are gorgeous. I rode my bicycle to Miner's Rest and then back to Hopi point, and then returned to the Village. Caution: It is a gradual uphill ride to Hopi point, then all downhill to Miners Rest....nothing steep, just a gradual uphill ride.

The patio at the North Rim lodge is the perfect place to enjoy a cocktail and watch a sunset on the North Rim of the canyon.

Winter break
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.