1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best day to book flights?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard Wednesday, but it just doesn't change for me on Orbitz. Suggestions? I am flying out of the Washington, DC area.

2. Canyonero

Canyonero Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct. This is, however, because of reduced fare contingents being sold the slowest on Wednesdays (in general). So, if book book very early, with reduced fares still available on the other days as well, you will see the exact same price as the other days (from the airline directly, there may be minor differences if you buy from travel sites). Same may be true if you book late and reduced fares are all sold out around the time period you want to go.

So what you wanna do is try and find a reduced fare - I always check Wednesdays first, but you might find them on any day, including weekends.

3. user3657

user3657 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I havent noticed any reduced flights atleast on southwest for the past few months otherwise I would be another 2 trips in. 200$ one way, blahhhhh.

4. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found that you need to watch SW's fares everyday, even multiple times a day, because the price will fluctuate like crazy. Earlier this week it was $273 one-way from Baltimore; the next day it was $280, and then it was down to $270 just five hours later. Yesterday, it was $183. I jumped on it. But, I won't stop there, and I'll continue to check daily since track record would indicate there's a good chance it could drop further. It's actually kind of annoying keeping up with the changes.

5. angelo

angelo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read many news stories on the internet and in the paper, links from here and people's experiences and none of them was necessarily true for me. I got great deals on weekends,sometimes on tues or wednesdays, sometimes late at night or early in the morning. The best advice I can give from personal experience we have all heard here a million times. Check everywhere, as many times as you can and as often as you can......and the more likely that you will stumble onto something good. A good place to start is in the forum here. Many of us post as soon as we get a ding or notice a change in prices.

Jimbo338

7. vegas3

vegas3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also when checking make sure you clear your cookies before you try to check.

8. mesavormoruin

mesavormoruin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with Sisyphus on checking Southwest every day, several times if you can swing it. It's how I caught flights at least $100 cheaper each way last night on SW as compared to the last several weeks. It's a PITA, but it can certainly pay off to be persistent.

9. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually find the best deals on Sunday or Monday. I cannot handle SW for a 5 hour flight so check the other majors. I find kayak helpful. I like to travel first class and know what a reasonable price is so I book it as soon as I see it no matter how far in advance. I also like to have my pick of times and seats. It is worth the extra $50 to me to avoid 6am EST flights. I don't want to arrive too tired.

I booked last Monday on Delta for April and saw the price for the same flights almost double by Thursday. Today it was back down but still $100 more than I paid. I will obsessively check it daily until I leave.

10. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We booked our flights on New Year's Day for a very good price. They've gone up considerably since then.

11. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tuesday 3pm eastern.

I read articles on why this was the best day/time. They're all more then a year or 2 old, so don't know how much it still applies. With the rise of SW and some of the other 'budget' airlines things might have changed.

12. cla525

cla525 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked mine Jan 3 (Thur). US Air had non-stop flights out of Reagan National on sale for $280 (RT included taxes). I used Kayak.com to check every day until I found something under $300. I usually end up with 1 stop flights thru Atlanta, but got lucky with this one. Southwest is even high right now.

13. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read and seen reports that tuesday nights are the best.

14. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read an article the other day that said the cheapest flights are exactly 41 days out from you day of departure. Now whether this is true or not, I have no idea, but they said a study was done on it. I have always bought my flights as early as possible. I actually got a flight back from Vegas for $70 to Indiana through Frontier for just being patient and watching prices daily. Although I bought it back in Dec as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.