1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Credit Card for Airline Miles

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ValerieJo, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValerieJo

ValerieJo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work as a buyer and have been told I can do much of the purchasing on a credit card of my choosing if I'd like.

I thought I would get a card that would get the most bang for my buck and would like to have airline miles attached to it.

I'm thinking a Southwest Airlines card, but would another one give me better points/miles?

Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks so much. :beer:

First time at 4 Queens
  2. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    here's a pretty good list

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait for the Southwest 50,000 mile offer. It comes up every few months, sometimes free for the 1st year, sometimes with an annual fee. Either way, it's a pretty good deal. Sigh up for the card and after you charge $1,000 within 90 days, they drop 50,000 miles into your SWA account.

My wife and I have done it twice each in the last 3 years. We get them, we cancel after getting the miles, then wait for the next offer. Waiting for my wife's miles to be deposited and we'll cancel hers again.

Differing opinions on whether getting & cancelling hurts your credit score by a significant amount.

I don't know if it's the best card offer, but since we fly almost exclusively SWA, it works for us. YMMV.

Christmas
  4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see SWA doesn't even show up on the list Jman posted. I don't know if SWA is a bad deal or more related to SWA doing everything in-house? Such as you can't book them on Travelocity Expedia etc, only on their site.
    Anyway, it works for us.

Christmas
  5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, not sure why it didn't show on their site. Might be because they had a separate list for best signup offers? I am a little biased, however, as my employer's card was on the list and it provides an excellent deal for its employees (somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 pts for every $1)

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends what airline you fly. I love my delta reserve skymiles card but if you don't fly delta that won't do you any good.

7. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just cancelled our Continental Visas for United Visas

Gave us each 30k miles and 2 passes to club each year. No fee 1st. year also. It would be worthless to us if we didnt fly out of EWR where UA is the big player.

8. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a Southwest card for several years and I am very sold on it.

I clicked on that link and looked at some of the other cards. I am confused as to what "miles" earned mean. How do you redeem miles? Do they change the value of what miles mean? And do they black out lots of flights? Southwest does not black out anything any more with their new point system.

Southwest is very simple. Spend $60 on your credit card and you earn $1 in SWA flight credit. Then you shop for the cheapest flight and pay for it with your points. Put $6,000 on your credit card and you can buy a $100 ticket.

That works out to 1.67% return on your purchases. Pretty good. You can also redeem points for gift cards at lots of different stores as well as travel on other airlines and cruise lines. But for those it's $100 spent for $1 back, only 1%, but that still is comparable to other cards.

But what is really great about Southwest, is after you put $120,000 on your card in a year, you get a companion pass. The companion pass can be used to take someone with you on any flight. Flights paid with points or cash, it doesn't matter. If you managed to fly with a companion every trip that ups the return back on your purchases to 3.4% No other card can touch that.

9. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use my platinum Delta card but haven't taken the plunge on the reserve - Using the companion ticket on a business class and it pays for itself. Any other features that make it worth the $

10. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Southwest card. Go to Vegas monthly and rarely pay for my flights anymore.

11. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it might be easier to get flights on southwest using FF miles. I know it is easier to find a flight with them then on American. Earning the points is about the same.

First Trip 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.