1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bar Reports

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by xmarksx, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just returned from a week and thought I would once again report on some of our somewhat out of the way bar goings:

Herbs & Rye - Our favorite bar of this trip was Herbs and Rye. I had originally thought this would be a dive bar to report based upon the exterior. It was anything but a dive. Inside the place has a very upscale feel with a somewhat turn of the century dark wood look. This is a mixology bar with a menu that provides a story behind some of their drinks. I had a Hemingway daiquiri and it was very good. We did not have anything to eat but it appeared the time to go if you intend to dine is during happy hour, steaks are 1/2 off. Otherwise it looked kind of pricey.

Atomic Liquor - Local business owners have taken Atomic over and breathed new life into the old crack hangout. When you walk to the front door a siren goes off, this is to alert the bartender who can choose to buzz you in, or not. Atomic is just East of the old Western and it is still a sketchy area. The bar is very nice and you can see they have invested some money in bringing the place back to life. During remodel they found a floor safe containing some odd items. The new owners kept the safe and put glass on top along with lighting. Make sure you find it toward the back of the bar, opposite side of the restrooms (Northeast side). I like this place for several reasons; The bartender, Rose was very nice to us 50-somethings. It had a funky/eclectic afternoon crowd but it gets younger later in the evening. They have a nice selection of local beers.

Crown and Anchor near UNLV - We had a Restaurant.com cert for this place but it was not needed. I was playing video poker and they comped our appetizers as well as beer, hideous pay schedules. It was a fun place to go but I would not make a special trip out of the way. Sausage roll was very good but I was a bit surprised they did not have more beers on tap.

Bar 702 (the old Sand Dollar) - Decided to try 702 only because of the recent Bar Rescue episode. This place will soon fall into dive bar status as they have already stopped the partnership with the restaurant next door, no food and the bar is already starting to show wear/tear from the remodel. Nice bartender, friendly bar patrons.

Park on Fremont - We stopped in and it was a fun, one beer lets leave place. Check out the naughty animal artwork and taxidermy. Beer selection was also good, served from Mason jars. Not a place I would go out of my way in order to return. Especially with The Griffin right across the street.

Foundation Room, House of Blues - I was completely underwhelmed by this place. Everyone raves about the view, yes it is nice but no better than a view from many of the Mandalay Bay rooms or other high floor strip properties.

It appears Insert Coins might be closed, anyone know?

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info on the 702... I too saw the episode and wanna get over there to check it out. I'm told the bar manager/owner is a former stripper from the Rhino and the Dr. (owner) is kinda her suggar-daddy. That doesn't make them bad people, but does make for an interesting "dynamic" as well as neither seemingly having any real background in bar management.

3. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver Vegas Guru at Infinity

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Sandollar was originally a strip club. Not sure about the owners wife being exstripper at Rhino.

4. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! I also have been wanting to check out 702, sad to hear its on the decline. Insert Coins was open a month ago, don't know the current status.

5. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Atom, I had wanted to make it to Aces and Ales on your recommendation but we ran out of time. Not sure how much a fan I am of the whole mixology scene but it has made for some really nice looking places inside.

6. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Birmingham, England. But born and raised in Bonny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent reports, thanks for the info.

7. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Insert Coins is awesome, I haven't been since January 2012 shortly after their opening in 2011 but it was a really cool place. Great concept with tons of games that span generations and a fun atmosphere. Something different in a bar is a good thing today when everything seems so similar. Will maybe try and check it out again when I'm out there in October.

They might have been closed for a private event, that was the only downside I've seen to the place and it has kept me from visiting in my past couple trips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.