1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bally's 12/8-12/11

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by lupamuse, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lupamuse

lupamuse Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Trying to write quickly because we're going to be shoveling snow all day...go!

Thurs. 12/6...get e-mail from Spirit Airlines saying our Friday flight is cancelled. Grrr. I call, and we're put on a Saturday flight, first class.

Sat. 12/8...Flight wonderful, everything smooth, and I want to cry when I see the hotels. Ha ha. 1Such a wonderful sight. It's been 9 1/2 years since hubby and I were in town on our honeymoon!

We land at about 9 am. Went to car rental facility. Very nice, like everyone says. But Hertz has no record of our Hotwire car rental reservation. Grrr, again. Husband argues with them for a while then someone realizes that they have "sold" our rental to Avis. So we go over there and we're all set.

ELLIS ISLAND...You smarties here would have rightly told us not to make that our first stop. But it was still kind of fun. Too bad we had to wait an hour to be seated for breakfast, which was excellent. We spent way more time there than intended.

Early check in at Bally's...no problem. Whew.

South Tower room at Bally's...a little gross. I didn't care. But husband did. We saved that whole thing for Sunday.

Dinner at Makino...in-f-ing-credible. Whoa. We LOVE that place. Can't wait to return next year. Husband & friend Dave said the maguro is best they've ever had. The rolls! The rolls! We were in heaven. The fondue & tiramisu were also surprisingly good and way exceeded my expectations.

Woke up super early and strolled around Paris then more dining...breakfast at Paris buffet. Liked it a lot. Worth the price? For food, maybe no, but it's a fake French village! I'd go there anytime.

Sun...friends Dave & Dana check out of Bally's & head over to Bellagio (scheduled for 2 nights at each). They were deeply unimpressed with the Bellagio and talked the Bellagio into letting them return to Bally's! Smooth operators! I love these people. Have you ever heard a story like this? Ended up in the exact same room as before, and happy.

Next, WE had to upgrade. I successfully did the 20 dollar trick (yay!) for a North Tower strip-ish view room (Wynn & Palazzo). Front desk was WONDERFUL to me.

Tried for lunch at Planet Ho buffet. Hated the place, hated the vibe, hated the stupid long line and rude linekeeper. Returned to Mon Ami Gabi for ok lunch. Actually it was pretty good, and service was pretty good, and it was surprisingly reasonable (we had the specials of the day...I had a 1 lb porterhouse with potatoes and green beans for $14).

Little bit of "eh" poker and relaxing evening.

Monday...finally getting out a little bit...Caesar's Palace. Nice. I still am not totally feeling the love for that place, but got some gifts for the kids.

Lunch at Paris buffet again.

Finally got to do some gambling and won at everything. I should have been gambling twenties instead of nickels! I got four of a kind (queens!) and a full house at nickel video poker. Cocktail servers outstanding.

Monday night...went out with Dana for a little sightseeing but barely got away from Harrah's properties! Wait, we didn't. Bill's, Flamingo, O'Sheas, Harrah's, where the cocktail server brought me a gigantic shot of vodka with a twist before I even sat down! We didn't last long. The booze was flowing.

Then back to Burger Brasserie...YUM.

Then uneventful trip home.

We're a little pissed at Spirit for cutting short our vacation, but we paid $50 a person round trip and had WONDERFUL flights, so what can you say or do? Except I can't wait to come back! LOVED Bally's too. Liked it way more than I expected to. It fit our needs perfectly.

Thank you for all the advice...I'll be around, counting down the six-ish months until my next trip!

Michelle

2. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a lot of fun. So you upgraded partway through the trip from the South Tower to the North Tower at Bally's? Was it that dramatic a difference in the room? Also, curious what your friends thought what was "wrong" with Bellagio....

3. lupamuse

lupamuse Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, we upgraded after one night....

I'm not that picky, and either Tower room would have been fine with me. I'm terrible at describing decorating, but our South Tower room had more "classic," "formal"-ish decor with dark wood. Also the bathroom sink drain was broken and a couple of lamps were broken. My husband is more choosy and wanted to upgrade. In our North Tower room everything worked (thankfully) and it was more "modern" with lighter-colored wood and was just obviously newer and a little cleaner.

I booked a "deluxe" room as part of a Price is Right promo Bally's was running. Turns out the show was dark the entire time I was in town, and "deluxe" is probably their least-nice room.

Also we all paid reasonable prices for Bally's. Like $59-$69 a night, somewhere in that neighborhood.

My friend was raised in a family that spent a lot of time in luxury hotels growing up so she refers to herself as a hotel snob (not proudly - just the way it is). They paid 3x the Bally's rate to get into Bellagio, I think, and I don't think they thought it was horrible, I think they just were having a better time than expected at Bally's and she thought the rooms were, in most ways, comparable.

I saw their Bellagio room, and frankly I was pretty surprised that she was so disappointed in it. It was similar to the Bally's room, but it was nicer in a lot of ways. And there was nothing at all wrong with it. She told the front desk that "it wasn't what [she] was expecting," and they said that because of the language she used, they were able to let her out of her stay!

I think maybe she thought it was going to be a suite?

It was very surreal. We and our friends are a bunch of freaks, I tell ya. It was a very positive visit, I just think that that story is so weird!

Thank you for the response!

4. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice write up :thumbsup:

I think I would consider giving Spirit a ring and seeing if they could do something for a future flight since they ended up cutting your vacation short. It never hurts to ask.

5. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report . . . I read that you paid $50 p.p. for your flight. Do you belong to Spirit's $9 fare club?? That's a good deal!

6. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report. I think you are due for a return trip much sooner than expected because this trip was cut short. At least that's how I would rationalize it.

7. lupamuse

lupamuse Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am now a $9 club member. My friend clued us in to the airfare. Since then I've seen Detroit to Cancun for -$2. So I'm definitely going to give Spirit another chance.

I like your thinking, hanoscf. I think Feb. or March is about right for my return! :)

8. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR and nice score on the upgrade b/w your trip :)

I don't have spirit :( but those are some awesome fares...even I would have to give them another chance.

9. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes - I'd join the $9 fare club if it weren't a 5 hour drive to O'Hare!!! Unfortunately my airport close to home is MSP (2 hours) and NWA has them locked up tight as can be.

10. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great TR. We've stayed at the Bellagio and Bally's. My wife is the expert on Bally's and knew to ask for a remodelled room in the North Tower since she's stayed in both. You definetly deserve another vacation in Vegas and sooner rather than later because of you trip being shorted.

Back where we belong
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.