1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Baked Alaska - anyone know where - BF

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by andrew5499, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew5499

andrew5499 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking for restaurants that still do either Baked Alaska or Bananas foster

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thread, I'm interested too. I haven't had either once since a cruise a few years ago. Both are delicious if done right.

3. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Bananas Foster is available at Golden Steer Steakhouse. Old school place where old Vegas used to hang out. Mobsters, Celebrities, etc.

Sat in the Muhammad Ali booth this past weekend, which used to be the Natalie Wood booth from what I heard.

4. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be interested to know this as well. It's most going to have to be one of the more old-school places on the strip if you want a traditional baked Alaska or bananas foster.

The Rio Carnival World Buffet makes bananas foster topping for their ice cream from scratch on a skillet at the dessert station. I think it is still being done. I've never tasted it so I can't tell you if it's any good, but it's available.

Wolfgang Puck's CUT at the Palazzo offers a modern Baked Alaska. I recently had the opportunity to tour his kitchen and walk-ins. The Baked Alaska for evening service had just been piped and was chilling in one of the freezers. It looked very impressive as is. I can only imagine what it'd be like once they take a torch to it (yes, it's torched, not deep fried).

While I'm at it, I can't resist throwing in a plug for what is maybe the most amazing dessert in Vegas (and it's somewhat close to a Bananas Foster). The signature Sticky Toffee Pudding with Browned Butter Ice Cream at Gordon Ramsay Steak is ridiculously good. The cakey part is fluffy, moist, and decadent. The caramel sauce they pour over the top will satisfy any sweet tooth. And the browned butter ice cream adds a cold contrasting temperature and tones down any cloying sweetness. It's bold, yet elegant at the same time. Once I went to sit at the bar just to order the dessert.

5. h_upmann

h_upmann Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bananas Foster is everywhere these days.
    For Baked Alaska, grab a cab and ask the driver to take you to 1975:evillaugh:evillaugh

6. buomalley

buomalley Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bananas Foster

Hugo's Cellar at the Four Queens has very good Bananas Foster.

7. Beaker

Beaker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Press Lounge at the Four Seasons has a mini single portion sized baked alaska.

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah they do! I had this at Brennan's in New Orleans after they reopened from the hurricane and LOVED it... I thought Hugo's was every bit as good!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

That's pretty much the way it is. Haven't heard the call for Baked Alaska since the 70s, unless one is on a cruise ship.

10. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too funny a thread - my sister discovered bananas foster this past weekend and made it two nights in a row (simplified home version without flaming liquor:peace:)

12. justmare

justmare High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought Hugo's Bananas Foster was actually better than Brennan's in New Orleans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.