1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Baby back pork ribs- precook go to recipe?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Two tips - remove that membrane underneath the ribs and never, never simmer/boil the ribs in a pot of water. Sure, you'll tenderize the meat, but also lose much of its flavor into the liquid.
    For those that insist on crock-potting - do not add any water to your ribs. The ribs will give off plenty of liquid on their own. Save that and refrigerate overnite. The next day, skim fat layer off top (maybe save for dried bean cookery) and put the remaining liquid in a pan. Cook with onions until the liquid is reduced by at least a half or more. Hence, you have concentrated rib flavored liquid. Add you bbq sauce to this and cover ribs. Reheat.

2. Dicehawg

Dicehawg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like the ribs at Ellis Island, this is how they make them........

[video=youtube;rlvfckhs5TY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlvfckhs5TY[/video]

They're steamed for 45 minutes to and hour and finished on the grill. Most barbecue purist's probably wouldn't consider this "real" barbecue, but it is really good.

3. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a rub mostly of brown sugar and a bunch of other seasonings.
    Slow cook for 4 or more hours then finish on the grill.
    These produce the ribs where the meat comes right off when eating.

4. Traveling1

Traveling1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found a recipe on "Jennycancook" dot com for ribs. She even has a video for how to prepair and cook. She uses the oven but I put in a large alum pan on my grill and set the heat so it is low. After 2.5 hrs I take them off and grill with sweet baby rays regular sauce. They were falling off the bone. I actually grilled them on one of those grill mats. It worked out great.

I made them last weekend and put them into a pan into a cooler with those hot pads (that you microwave) in it to keep it warm and took to a friends house. They were still fabulous and were the first thing to go.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks good! Now I see the attraction to EI!

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually go just the opposite way in making pork ribs. You want to be sure they are done as it IS pork and all those squirmy things and such that can be found in undercooked pork at times. We use whatever is about -- fresh limes, salt, pepper, beer!, a bit of bar-b-cue sauce, and whatever else fits as a sauce / marinade.

We grill on indirect heat for 45 minutes or so (200 - 250 degrees) (water soaked oak wood - more smoke but not usually too high a heat to quickly) and then about 30 - 45 seconds on direct heat to "seal the deal" and give some hardiness / crispness to the glaze....Then they go into the oven at 225 wrapped in aluminum foil until done (placed in a cast iron skillet to prevent a mess in the oven). I guess you could use a crock pot but never thought of it.

Good luck Joe and let us know how it comes out........

7. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone tried letting the ribs soak in a pan of vinegar over night before grilling? I was told this by a guy who is the "official" rib guy at his church. I use a Weber grill and don't place the ribs directly over the charcoal. Two hours or so. Sauce the last half hour.
    Great thread! Good luck. :beer:

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds horrid. And I'd think the meat would be like Gerber's exposed to that acid for so long.

One thought on all this fall-off-the-bone talk -- there is tender and there is destroyed. The meat needs to come away easily because the connective tissue has been broken down but the meat hasn't given up the ghost. That's the whole idea about low/slow cooking, whether a wet or dry treatment.

9. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for video
    They do have best ribs anywhere

10. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not at all, Ken. I only tried this once and didn't see much difference from not using vinegar. The meat was good and not mushy.

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking maybe he meant that he uses vinegar, but probably not just straight vinegar.

Usually when marinading stuff overnight people will put something acidic in the marinade (orange juice, lemon juice, cola, beer, wine, etc) and so he probably uses some vinegar, but not likely just straight vinegar.

12. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If not using a smoker, the only way I do them is the bake then grill to finish method.

I don;t wrap them tightly in foil though, I set them in a baking dish so the fat can drip off same as it would in a smoker, and then cover the baking dish in foil to keep in moisture. That way also means you can easily test for doneness without unwrapping everything.

It's really hard to slow cook ribs on a kettle style grill, because it's hard to get and maintain a consistent temp. I've done it a couple of times and the results weren't as good as bake grill, although if you do slow cook them in a kettle, at least you can get some smoke into them.

13. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sure you have received MANY different ways to do them but I have found over the years it's really best to cut them into individual ribs and then boil them for about 30 minutes......put a half onion and a celery stalk in the pot with them and a little salt and pepper......after boiling for 30 minutes remove them and let them drain off on a plate for 30 minute or more.....now you can fridge them for later of put them in a bowl with your favorite BBQ sauce and grill them to your taste. I like mine toasted to almost burnt.

14. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aside from making me hungry, this thread has really inspired me to try yet again to concoct the perfect (for me) ribs recipe. Besides, I've always thought that there shouldn't be any meal I can get out that I can't prepare as good or better at home. (That's my thought – not necessarily reality, as most who have tried my Chinese renditions can attest!) Anyway, after reading the posts and viewing countless recipes and videos, I've come up with "the plan" for next week. If successful, maybe I'll take pictures and share.

Gee Joe, you really started something! :)

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turtle speaks truth. :nworthy:

On the boiling method: An easy test anyone can do is to take two identical hunks of meat -- chicken quarter, filet, pork loin, ahi steak -- boil on, roast one, eat. One will be pale, ironically dry and leeched of flavor, the other will be savory and tasty.

16. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken: What do you think about steaming first? (That's "steaming" – not boiling.) After watching the Ellis Island video (I'm a big fan) and coming across several other mouthwatering videos and recipes, I was thinking about doing likewise (probably using beer or apple juice in place of water) before finishing on the grill.

17. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have tried Sam the Cooking Guy's method twice..not bad...he does use vinegar, but not to soak, but to steam, so that seems to address two questions above...

now as for how he doctor's the bottled sauce, I wouldnt be caught dead using "panckake syrup" real maple worked just fine!

Watch the video in the link, he's a funny guy..

http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/recipe.php?id=312

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see that. Steaming is a lot closer to barbecuing (smoking) than boiling something and draining it of life. It's kinda reverse, but when I have leftover ribs I steam them back to temp rather than putting them in dry heat.

Why not try a rack steamed and a rack par-baked, then each finished the same on the fire? Sounds like fun and tasty science!

Someone mentioned maintaining even heat with a kettle: There's a real art to kettle but it can be done. Newbies struggle but with practice it can be learned. The one down side of any system you have to open to work with is that it's opened. But that starts becoming hair-splitting. lol

19. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watch the video above. He par bakes them in a bath of a few tablespoons of vinegar in a sealed sheet pan. Essentially steaming and par baking at the same time.

20. fossefritz

fossefritz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is good found it finally --

Bourbon-Bacon Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup small-dice bacon (about 3 ounces)
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion (about 1/2 small onion)
    2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    3 tablespoons bourbon
    2 tablespoons dark or robust molasses
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon ground mustard
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Place the bacon in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a small bowl; set aside. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the onion to the pan, and cook in the bacon fat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds.
    Whisk in the remaining measured ingredients and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir in the reserved bacon and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly and holds a line on the back of a wooden spoon when you drag a finger through it, about 25 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.