1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

AT&T GoPhone "Bring Your Own Phone" Plan thru WalMart

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by TrixieM, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrixieM

TrixieM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone have experience with the "Bring Your Own Phone" AT&T Go Phone through WalMart? I have an inexpensive phone through their Family Mobile T-Mobile plan for business. Have only had it a couple of months and am not very pleased with it---reception is not good, and callers sound like Charlie Brown's teacher on the old Peanuts cartoons. I keep having to say, "can you repeat that?" It also makes calls to 911 all on it's own (I found out after reading reviews that's a problem this this particular phone.)

I have an iPhone through AT&T for personal use, which I love, but cannot add another phone to that plan. And when i visited the AT&T store, I was told that opening a new AT&T account would be $150 per month (and that's just unlimited talk & text with NO data.) I think that's awfully steep. But AT&T store seems to be all about the "upsell" and nothing else. Anyways, a friend suggested AT&Ts goPhone plan through WalMart, and I see that they have a "bring your own phone" option, but no one can tell me anything about it. I'm thinking of buying an iphone online if the plan is any good. I need talk and text only--no data, no games, none of that--and as economical (cheap) as possible at this point, at least until the business builds up more.

2. Frankr163

Frankr163 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about the AT&T Wal Mart plans, but I switched to a Go phone thru an AT&T retail outlet about a year ago.
    I pay $25 a month plus tax for 250 talk minutes and unlimited texts.
    I am saving almost $50/month from my 2 year contract plan.
    You can just buy the sim card and use it in any at&t locked phone. I used an old Samsung for a couple of weeks, and then when the screen cracked I was able to find one on amazon for $35.
    Perfect plan for what I need. I don't need any internet access, though you can add it for an additional charge.

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    which phone do you have?
    I have a Sammy GS3 which is great on T-Mo everywhere except my mothers house (she lives in a mountainous canyon)
    I just bought a $50 off brand smart phone on Amazon for my euro cousin to use this weekend in case we split up

T-Mo seems to have the cheapest rates for voice and text between AT&T and T-Mo

4. donfairplay

donfairplay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I left T-Mobile for the same reasons, in a voice deadzone where I can sometimes have good reception, but sometimes definitely not. I'm on AT&T's network through Straighttalk's $45 unlimited + 2.5 GB data. Call quality is good.

Unlock your phone through your current carrier. Then choose from:

straighttalk: 1,500 minutes + 100 mb for $30 a month
    h20 wireless: unlimited talk/text + 500 mb for $30 a month (-10% auto-refill discount, so about $27). the pay as you go plans are also the cheapest on AT&T's network.
    cricket: unlimited talk/text + 0 data for $25 a month
    go phone: unsure, couldn't find a plan breakdown

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:

Something is missing here. If you go to macrumors.com you will find that LOTS of people are on plans for way less. Heck, I have 4 iphones, 10gb data, hotspot tethering, unlimted text/voice for $160 per month on ATT.

You are not sharing something here.

6. donfairplay

donfairplay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That plan includes Milana Vayntrub.

Xdr8rRj.jpg

:thumbsup:

7. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trixie, there are 2 things to watch out for when looking for a phone to use of the bring your of phone plan.
    1) since it is running on ATT network, you should be able to grab any ATT iPhone, otherwise you need to get an iPhone that is unlocked for any carrier... otherwise it may not work when you put your sim card in.
    2) make sure you buy the phone from a reputable seller...... and make sure you can get your money back if it doesn't work. Apple did a major security change with their the iOS7. Even if the phone was wiped, if the last user did not remove it from their iCloud/Apple ID, the phone will not operate(it can only be able to be unlocked for use if you put in the previous appleID/password). You will not be able to use it until they either give you their Apple ID password or remove it from their cloud... its a major pain in the ass if you buy a phone from someone, but its there so someone can't steal your iPhone and use it themselves.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a long time ago when I did have a Go Phone and it was nothing like that much to activate. But considering the traditional providers that do pay as you go don't charge for activation, any fee is way too much. I've been on Virgin for years and I prefer it and even Tracfone to ATT. Both use the Sprint network and I've had no issues with coverage.

9. TrixieM

TrixieM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the responses!!!

@frank67 - on my T-Mobile plan, I have a Sparq II phone -- it's one of those slide phones. It was inexpensive, and so totally different from an iPhone so I wouldn't be grabbing the wrong phone. Not liking it much, but I don't have a lot invested in it.

@nostresshere - I'm not holding back, I promise. I went to one of the local AT&T stores with my son so he could upgrade--we had to make an appointment, then still wait about 20 minutes once we got there. They have a greeter at the door with an iPad to make appointments and check people in who arrive for appointments. Anyways, while we were waiting, I asked the greeter if she had any info and she says yes and asks me a few questions and punches in some stuff in her iPad and says, "$150 per month," like it's a good deal. I said, "just unlimited talk and text and no data?? And using my own phone??" She said, "Yes ma'm, would you like to set up an appointment?" Seemed awfully steep to me, so I thanked her for her help and declined the appointment. I should note that quote was for a new account, not a pay-as-you-go plan. That's the whole story, nothing to leave out.

@frankr163 - now that you mention it, I did go into an AT&T retail store to ask about their go-plan. I had seen it in my local WalMart store, but there was no one to answer questions at WalMart. Anyways, the lady at AT&T quoted me $50 per month, which I thought was high for just talk and text. She said I could buy the phone at WalMart and then do the plan through them (the retail store.) That was in the beginning when I was just starting to look, though , so I need to check to see if they can do better than $50/month. $50 is certainly more than I want to pay right now, but it beats paying $25 (or $30 this month) for something that doesn't work.

@donfairplay -- if that gal had been in the AT&T store, I'll bet she could've been able to help me without me even asking questions, which would have been waayy cool.

@gpenquins67 -- Thank you for the advice and some issues to think about. And I thought about buying a phone online but that there would be a catch and it wouldn't go as smoothly as I would hope. THAT'S the catch.

10. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trixie:

Go to the ATT website. The plans are listed right there. Pick the one that works best for you. My earlier post of 4 - yes 4 iphones with 10gb, unlimited text and talk is real.

11. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

This does not make sense. I thought all ATT plans allowed you to add phones. If not, cancel that (unless on contract). Move your phone to another plan. This all just not make sense.

12. pultzar

pultzar Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go here http://www.myattmst.com/MST-HOME.html

Click on calculator

13. TrixieM

TrixieM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @nostresshere: My ATT phone is on an account the belongs to my husband's company. There are ten phones allowed. one is my personal phone. It's a great business plan and he is happy with it, so no need to change it. Anyway, the phone I need for business is strictly for MY business, and needs to be on it's own account, MY account, and NOT tied to his company's physical address or my home physical address (for security purposes.) Otherwise, I would have tacked onto the business's company phone account, as it would have only cost about $10 per month. I don't even know if there are any "spots" left on that plan to add a phone--I didn't ask because it's a mute point.

(And as for the next question, about it not being tied to my physical address, the nature of my business is such that some of the people I deal with--though certainly not criminals--have certain issues, and probably would benefit from being in a long term facility but none is available or they won't willingly go into one. I do not want them showing up at my home, nor does my husband want them showing up at his company.)

@pultzar - thanks for the link. I will check that out. I was seriously looking at the 250 talk plan, since it would be about the same cost as I'm currently paying, and really who needs 250 minutes? But after that last two days, I will definitely need more than 250 minutes per month.

14. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep I'm paying $169 for 4 phones, 2 basic phones no data for kids, a windows smart phone w/3G for wife, and I have iphone 6 w/unlimited data.

15. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called T Mobile yesterday to find out how to email photos and the rep changed me to their unlimited plan for 2 phones. Unlimited everything ,faster net for $90 taxes included.
    We probably wont use half the capabilities ,but we were paying $85 before.
    Did my first text last night,kids are probably still amazed that I'm now in the 21st. century. I think I skipped most of the 20th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.