1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Assistance sought in interpreting JoB Pay Tables

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by jimboguy, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello everyone,

I like to play JoB VP at the $0.25 cent level (max credits, of course).
    I prefer to play the game at two places:

1. The first being the Boar's Head Bar at MSS, because of the 9/6 pay tables, the fun scratch card game, and the great beer served by attentive bartenders. Plus it is a Boyd property and Boyd seems to treat me better than I think I deserve in terms of comps.

2. I also like to play the same game at Gold Spike. I know the place isn't for everyone, but I enjoy the vibe there. I like to be able to play VP at the bar while watching sports on their HD screens, and if I want I can walk 10 steps to the sports book to bet on the game. The bartenders are attentive here too, and friendly to shoot the breeze with (as are some of the patrons).

In short, I like to play VP at both places. However, the MSS 9/6 pay table offers me a return of 99.54% (assuming optimum play, of course) while the Gold Spike only offers an 8/5 pay table, which is a 97.3% return (according to Wizard of Vegas).

My question is, what does this difference in percentage equate to in real dollars? Let's assume I a play at a pace of 600 hands per hour, how much money am I theoretically losing at Gold Spike's VP machine per hour compared to the MSS?
    I looked to the Wizard of Vegas site to try to figure this out, but I don't know how to do the calculation nor can I find one.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm, I just ran calculations and came up with $8.625 an hour. Now I am going to look at that website you posted and see why the difference. Thanks, this is helping with my insomnia! JK, lol

4. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh, you lowered the 8/5, that is the difference.

5. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha ha, thanks Travelfiend. It looks like we're both in the same time zone, so I guess that means we're both insomniacs. :snore:

Yes, it appears there are multiple 8/5 paytables, but I think the 97.3% is what the Gold Spike has, not the 98.39% I initially posted.

Boy, I really feel like an idiot now. I have had many multiple-hour VP sessions at Gold Spike. I guess I will attempt to find solace in knowing that the beers came quickly and often.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All in theory of course. If you get a Royal, it changes to the positive fast. If you do not get a Royal, or any 4 of a kind, etc. then the loss can be way more.

Good luck!

And have another beer on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.