1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by singerdon, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singerdon

singerdon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

Been lurking here for years, and before that on AVLV. We visit every year for a week in our HGVC time share. Always rent a car, so we hike (Red Rock Canyon, Mt Charleston, Valley of Fire), go to pow-wows (Western states Piute held on Memorial Day), do rides (Primm), etc., but have never ventured west towards Death Valley.

My wife found some info on Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, which is near/actually in Death Valley, but in Nevada. Around a 2-hr drive. Looks kind of cool.

Anybody every been there? Worth the time off the strip?

Singerdon
    Waukesha, WI

2. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

We have been there several times and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Lots of ponds, springs and wildlife-not what you'd expect to see in the desert. There's a nice visitor's center and the people there are very helpful. There are three newly built boardwalks that take you along streams, ponds and an old miner's shack. If you haven't been to Death Valley you could combine both trips although you wouldn't be able to spend much time in each. The place was pretty empty of humanity both times that we visited. Hot in summer as you would expect.

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you've enjoyed those outings to VoF, RR, Mt Charleston, I'd think you'd like the Wildlife Refuge. It's quiet and small and much less crowded than Red Rocks, IMX. There wasn't a whole lot when I was there, but it was nice to get out and wander around in a "less artificial" environment for a few hours on a Vegas trip.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.