1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Artichokes, asparagus and strawberries!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Went down the hill to the farm stand. It's Artichoke Season!! And other good stuff now, too!

2. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's some good eating!

President's Week School Vacation in Las Vegas
  3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perimeter check tonight - looks like it will be a good year for the blueberries (fingers crossed!) Two beds of early season vegetables have sprouted in the garden too, yippee! And I need to transplant my tomato starts into bigger pots in the greenhouse:peace:

4. ken2v

Cool.

I finally got some chiles going, but it's still just mostly herbs, herbs, herbs here. I'll get another couple raised beds built this summer.

5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a bunch of starts from last year's chiles & peppers (we saved seeds)- they haven't germinated yet. Last year was a terrible year for my tomatoes but the chiles & peppers did well.

Some of my perennial herbs are coming back - thyme, chives, oregano. Not sure what's up with the rosemary. Could just be slow to come back, but I might have to replace it.....I'll worry about annuals in another 3 weeks (Easter - that's what all the old gardeners down here have been telling me for years:peace:)

My officemate runs a community garden and has a ton of seeds to swap with me - she's been in Singapore for the last week but she promised to bring them tomorrow :thumbsup:

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, when are California Strawberries not in season? :evillaugh

As for Asparagus, just waiting a few more weeks for some local Jersey Grass to come to market.

7. ken2v

lol

Where we are berries disappear in December and return in March. How DO we survive????

Always kills me when I see folks at Albertson's buying clamshells of Central or South American berries and the nearest farmstand is just over by the mission.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We still have 2 more weeks until the Farmer's Market opens here. :(

I admit that fresh produce in roadside stands is the thing I miss most about California. I used to drive through Castroville regularly and buy artichokes as big as my head for $1 each out of a truck on the side of the road. The chokes we get in WA are so sad and bruised, with squishy stems.

I also like to amaze my northern friends with tales of "winter strawberries". Our little burg is pretty famous for its long history of wonderful strawberries, but never has anyone heard of a winter crop. But at mom's house, they are my favorite.

9. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just curious Ken, how you cook/serve your artichoke? We bought one yesterday for a recipe my daughter was making and by the time she finished hacking it apart, it was only good for the trash!

I've had it roasted with herbs and parmesan cheese at Salvatore's Italian restaurant at Suncoast but how else can they be eaten? BTW, we paid $1.89 for that one yesterday (it was probably months old). What are you paying for fresh?

Lucky you with the asparagus. Nothing better than tender young stems. I do mine with tarragon/garlic butter and have been known to have a bowl of them for breakfast. Yum!

10. ken2v

$1.50 today. But trust me, they're often off the charts since they can nail the folks on the export market.

I steam them for 30, cool, cut in half and remove the gills, hit 'em with olive oil and a gob of minced garlic and sea salt, then convection roast for a bit to char 'em up.

11. ken2v

So many great places in these great United States. But CA is definitely up there. I always laugh when folks go off on "fruits and nuts" and "commies" and "falling into the ocean" as we choose between the highest mountains in the continental, the longest coastline, the lowest desert, the tallest trees; San Francisco, Tahoe and Palm Springs; the ag of your Monterey heart and the wine of so many places; Gold Country and Ocean Beach; the breadbasket of the nation running through the middle … and Vegas just over the border.

12. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear that..last year wife and I went to Salinas to get farm fresh stuff (stawberries and artichokes) LoL, we ate all the strawberries before we even got home! hahaha

Palace Tower Suite!
  13. MNHornet09

MNHornet09 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will take Joe's POV on this one.

It's still winter here. Expecting between 6-14 inches of snow from now until tomorrow. Oh joy. :vomit:

14. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Artichokes and asparagus are both known for being difficult to pair with wine. Any suggestions?

15. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me with those vegetables - wine choice would depend on how you are serving them. For instance, with artichokes, mayo or vinaigrettes are common sauces, but I wouldn't serve with the same wine.

That said, I'm notoriously bad at pairing the right wine with the right food, because I want to eat what I want and drink what I want:evillaugh

16. ken2v

Hmmm. I just pull bottles. lol

We had a younger Pinot with high acid, and more red-hard-candy fruit notes instead of huge round ripe fruit. The protein was roasted chicken.

Viognier would seem to be a good match, too. And staying in whiteland, Sauv Blanc.

Loads of oak and excessive malolactic might be a bad thing.

17. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You had me with the gob of minced garlic. I will definitely try this out. Have to prove to my daughter that they really are edible. She just couldn't find any part of it that looked worthy of eating. Silly girl!

I'm surprised by the price. I thought I'd be paying a lot more than you.

18. ken2v

Produce is weird here like that. The value of chokes, particularly overseas, leaves little reason for Steve and the other growers to give 'em away. But at a buck-half I will say they are just plucked and the size of grapefruits. Yet I can get a massive wad of cut-yesterday spinach for 49 cents. And we do rock the berry prices and, well, having all those vineyards out there … is getting damned expensive. lol

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Lots of imported fruit and veggies here in Cape Coral, also, and all one has to do is look a little for the good stuff.

Might have you beat fishwise. Got a two-pound pompano today off Sanibel. Probably my last outing unless we put the kayaks in tomorrow. I know of no Florida wine to recommend, although they make some.

20. ken2v

You def have me on the fish thing. I mean, I can get most any Pacific bounty with a quick drive north or south, but mano y fisho? No way. You win easily!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.