1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Art of Shaving or Other Master Barber Location...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Rutgerskid, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rutgerskid

Rutgerskid Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Finally decided on getting a Wet Shave on my next trip out to Vegas (June!). Anyone have opinions on which location is best...I've read reviews on Yelp, and all of them seem to be great. Also, any personal barber recommendations?

Thanks!

2. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

David at Art of Shaving at Palazzo

From my trip report a couple weeks ago

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a few years ago there was a local place around here that did wet shaves that were just like this. it was great and i loved it, but there wasn't enough demand in this area and they went under. your write-up vividly reminded me what a great experience it was and makes me want to hit this place up next weekend.

4. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Since I am going back in a couple weeks, I just decided to make another appointment.
    Now, the one in Palazzo is called The Apothecary, and while is an Art of Shaving establishment, it is independent and not company owned (I remember them explaining this to me), which allows them more latitude in services and time...they have more freedom.
    I would put the phone number, but not sure if that's allowed

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    El Cortez has a place that does them as well. Probably alot cheaper

6. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had my first experience with the Art of Shaving, located in the Mandalay Bay Shoppes area, last September and again in January. I went for a haircut and the Royal shave each time. I had Jack as my barber and would not hesitate to recommend him; he's an artist with a pair of scissors and a razor. Both sessions took about 90 minutes and I enjoyed the experience thoroughly. Yes, it is on the expensive side, but pamperiing yourself every once in a while isn't a bad thing. I bought some of their shaving supplies on my first visit and now I am getting the smoothest, closest shaves that I have every had at home. I am still using the 4 oz jar of shaving cream that I bought in September, and just finished using my 2nd bottle of pre-shave oil. I still have over a half a bottle of their after shave balm. I am looking foward to visiting them again during my upcoming trips in September and December.:woohoo:

7. Transplant

Transplant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friends and I plan to hit Presidential Shave when we come. Any reason not to and to use one of the Strip places?

8. dmbrat

dmbrat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can recommend Tammy from the art of shaving at Mandalay bay. I've seen her about half a dozen times and she is excellent.

9. oldschoolvegas

oldschoolvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went there on my last trip in Aprial. I wouldn't recommend this place. The hot towel was warmed from the sink water and was warm at best. I get a closer shave myself.

10. JSR1968

JSR1968 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to the Art of Shaving in the Shops at Mandalay Bay at least once a trip for a head shave. I got my face shaved once and didnt really care for it...

I cannot remember the guys name that shaved my head last time but he was an african-american guy who was excellent. Dude walked in a three-piece suit and I thought he was a customer LOL

11. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got one at the spa at the Mirage once and it was a pretty incredible experience from beginning to end.
    $100 after a healthy tip, I was very happy to pay it.

12. MarkY

MarkY Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always want to try one of these place for a head shave. I typically use a Gillette Fusion and want to see how close a shave one of these guys (or gals) can get on my head. Is it a noticeable difference?

What didn't you like about the face shave?

13. JSR1968

JSR1968 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't see a hair on my head for MANY DAYS!!!

At the risk of sounding ridiculous it was almost too close of a shave on my face. Made it VERY sensitive...

14. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband would agree. It is definitely a closer shave than he gets on his head or face (he uses the gillette fusion as well)

15. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 Questions

I've been wanting to do this.
    1. How much of a shadow /growth do you guys walk in with?
    2. Will they shave the back of your neck to clean up the hairline?

16. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can only help with #1.

The whole reason I went in was because my beard is thick and gnarly. It gets really hard to shave (with Fusion razor) after three days. I went in with a five day beard and I didn't have to shave the next day.

It was pretty incredible.

17. Onlyoneoklahoma

Onlyoneoklahoma Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone try the Truefit and Hill in Ceasar's? I used their sandal wood shve cream at home with my safety razor and alway wanted to try a real shave from England's oldest barber shop.

18. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

I am a light beard guy. I can't even grow a full beard, it's looks like a blotchy lawn. I typically shave every third to fourth day, usually third.
    I went in with a three day growth, however that is typically thick in chin, mustache and neck area, thin on sides and spotty.
    My three day is second day for many other men.

He shaved all the usual areas, detailed around nostrils, did do neck, sides and back, and even caught a single hair in my ear edge. If I remember right, he trimmed my eyebrows as well. It's a pretty detailed service.

19. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None that I can think of, Presidential Shave is owned by Johnny the barber from the Bellagio.

I talked to him earlier this month and he works at his place on Friday's and Saturday's but he said his other barbers are also very good! The Royal Shave is only $40 and they are located right across from the Sahara mono rail stop.

20. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.