1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Arriving New Years Eve

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by CeeDee, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeeDee

CeeDee Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,
    We are coming to Vegas on new years eve and will arrive at the venetian at approx. 8pm (assuming no flight delays), I have heard rumours that any airport transfers can't access the strip at this time as it is closed off for pedestrians only !! how do you get to your hotel ?
    I have also heard that due to it being new years eve that you can't check in until after midnight (new years day) !!

Can someone confirm if both these rumours are true.

thanks

Chris

2. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can at least confirm that the Strip does shut down for all but pedestrians on New Years Eve.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have your reservation for a certain day (dec 31 in this case), you will be able to check in on that day. Maybe some hotels have some strange rule, but it makes no sense that they would not take checkins if you have a reservation.

With that said,most hotels will require a few days reservation and will not take reservations for the 31st. They may have some rooms on the 1st - but until mid-day. If you have a reservation for the 31st, you should be fine.

The strip does close down early evening on the 31st. All the hotels have back entrances and you can get there. Cabbies hate driving that night.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My biggest concern if I were you would be in getting to the hotel. Traffic is going to be hectic and your cabbie will be cranky.

I don't see why they wouldn't let you into your room when you arrive, but worst case scenario, drop off your luggage at the bell desk, grab a drink and enjoy the insanity until midnight. :)

5. CeeDee

CeeDee Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your replys
    I suspected it would not be true, we have a reservation for 31st to 5th Jan
    so we should be ok

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well... yes and no.

When New Years Eve falls on a Saturday almost no hotel in Las Vegas will allow a New Years Eve check in.

The reason you probably heard that they don't do New Years Eve checkins is because it was pretty recent (2011/2012) that New Years Eve fell on a Saturday... when that happened I believe there was only one hotel on The Strip, one downtown and a couple of off-strip places that were allowing December 31st check ins.

The main reason for this is that the hotels want people to be paying the big bucks for both Friday and Saturday nights and they don't want to end up selling out all their Saturdays so that half the hotel is empty Friday because they can't check people in.

This year New Years Eve is going to be on a Tuesday so you will be able to check in, however note that it is probably going to be a long slow line to check in no matter where you go because there is going to be a lot of people checking in just for the night.

As for getting to your hotel: what route they take and how they do it is not something you have to worry about - they won't be able to get you to the main front entrance but they will get you to the hotel and either take you to a side of back entrance or else they will drop you off about a block away on a side street and you have to walk the rest of the way.

The biggest issue you might have is just getting a taxi: a lot of drivers will take the night off but then taxis are still in pretty high demand that night as people want to get to their parties and events or even just to the hotel where they want to play and drink at to bring in the new year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.