1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Aria comps report

Discussion in 'Comps' started by drfaust, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would be awesome. But I've read posts on here from Pearl members who get offers of comped nights and Gold/Platinum people like me who get offers for $99/weekday and $129/weekend rates. Just kind of confusing how the whole thing works.

Most of my trips are for 2-3 nights anyway, so 2 comped nights would be perfect.

2. Mr.TDub

Mr.TDub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Learn something new every day around these parts.

My biggest pet peeve as a table player, is the tracking of play. Having to rely on a human to log it in on a computer irks me sometimes because humans make mistakes. But o well, what can we do right?

I guess the only safe thing is the slot.....maybe!

3. gamblersruin

gamblersruin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 things real quick: 1) since when did tier have to do with comps, again? 2) having a human track your table play, while inaccurate, also allows for discretion. Not sure how many posts i've seen with stories of getting tracked for twice as much for being nice to the crew.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As said here often, your comp offers are based primarily on your AVERAGE play. Not on tier. Sometimes tier and average are related, but not always. Depends on each persons play history.

5. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree they will look at $10,000 losses. I have not experienced that they will look at a $1,000 loss - am I missing something?

Either way, this is different than bankroll.

6. fox

fox Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks nostress, you read my mind. I was actually debating wiring ~20k just for comp purposes. I still might do it though, just for the ease of transport.

7. dodgydave

dodgydave Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always wire money to the cage, because it is just so much less hassle than the alternatives.
    Put it this way, on the balance of probabilities, I would say you have a much stronger chance of being comped better if you have put up a decent amount of front money, than if you hadn't.

8. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you're willing to actually penetrate a significant amount of that bankroll, I don't think bringing the extra amount will get you anything extra in comps.

On one hand, I do think wiring 20K would get someone's attention. It could theoretically impact what they are going to do for you upfront. But mostly, they will look at your history for upfront comps, as well as your actual play for end-of-trip comps.

If you wire 20K and only wind up putting up a theo of $1K for the trip, I don't think they're going to be impressed. If you put up a theo of $8K, then they will be willing to do a lot for you.

9. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i was staying at a cet property as the rates where so low i just payed 27 a nite at harrahs.figured i would give mgm properties a try .i was up around 20 grand after a few weeks in town playing bj.should have quit then.

lost 5 g's at belligio and then went right over to mirage and lost the same,so down 10g in one nite ,basicaly happend again another nite.i wasnt staying there ,they picked up dinner the next nite and a host took care of hyde for me on a friday nite.got about 170.00 in express comps.
    mirage just offerd 3 nites comp compared to low playing bj at cet properties they just offerd me 11 nites comped at harrahs.
    the one thing i hate about is mgm properties is there resort fee and if after you play the want to wave it,atleast with cet a zero comp is zero at the end of your trip.
    comparision cet bj avarage 75 hand too 200$

mgm prop 100 to 800 a hand ,a lot of 2 hands 200$ a hand

just seems cet give me rooms and little food and mgm is the oposite.i guess i perfer the free rooms

10. testing123

testing123 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how would you calculate this? 12 hours, $100 average, lose $4000, mostly craps and paigow poker and little VP. thanks,

11. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much you lost is mostly irrelevant at your level. Super duper whales - it matters more - but at black chip level, it's mostly about theoretical. (Hosts may take actual losses into account when they greatly exceed theo, but this varies.)

Theo = Coin-in X House edge

Coin in is how much money you put into the betting circle or slot.

House edge varies based on game. In craps, it's pretty low, especially if most of your bet is free odds behind the pass line (they don't rate the odds). The edge is higher in pai-gow.

I'll use blackjack as an example, because it's easier and more straightforward.

If you play 60 hands per hour, and bet $100 per hand, and do that for 12 hours, your coin-in = 60 X 100 X 12 = $72,000. The house edge on blackjack varies based on how well you play basic strategy, as well as some of the game rules that vary from table to table. But let's just say the HA is 1%

So the theoretical = $72,000 X 1% = $720.

Your comp value is estimated at 40% of your theoretical (this varies), so your comps could = $720 X 40% = $288.

Pai-gow is a higher edge game, so this number could be higher. Also, some bets on craps have a higher house edge.

But in general, this formula and approach is how you would figure it out. Specific house edge info can be found at Wizard of Odds.

12. BLNT

BLNT High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds about right... ;

13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, as a host, one of main job duties is to give comps to people. And to do that, I base it on their play/coin in, etc. But, I have no idea how that is tracked on a system that has been around for a month or two.

Come on MGM. Spend just a little money on training your staff. How hard can that be?

14. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter has it exactly right.
    You get 10% loss or 40% theo.
    The rest of the discussion,like wiring money in to the cage, is pretty much BS.
    Unfortunately I have been comped on both sides of the formula.
    Usually theo works better but a couple years ago at MGM I got crushed.
    Not a winning session in 3 days!!

Definitely short played them as I would not chase.
    Theo was not big because time was low.
    So my host comped everything on my bill from the percentage of loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.