1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Area 51 Tour

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by The Stig, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anybody on here done this tour and if so was it any good and is it worth the money, it does sound interesting but is worth stumping up nearly $200 for it.

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go through there twice a year on my motorcycle and camp in Rachel when I do. I like that kind of stuff - whereas I brought my wife through there once and she's not interested in seeing it again. There is a whole lot of nothing up that way, which I find peaceful but many others find boring.

I have not done the tour. Since it's a long round trip from Las Vegas, I'll assume much of the cost is due to transportation. For, there's very little to see out near Area 51. The closest you can get to it is seeing signs on dirt roads that lead up to it. You cannot actually see area 51. Tour staff will not be able to access anything that you can't on your own. But, I'm sure they have a lot of interesting information about it all. The bar at Rachel (Little A'Le'Inn) is the best part of the area - decent food and drink at reasonable prices. They'll let you camp near the bar if you simply ask.

I've been at Little A'Le'Inn when the tour group comes through. The staff seem like good people and the tourists with them seem to be having a good time.

Bill

3. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we all go with UTE! Any interesting stories UTE?

Seriously, I've wanted to do this too, but I'd make my own tour, do a lot of research, go out and see Rachel. Eat in the Little A'Le'Inn. Look at the black mailbox.
    Take photos of the Do Not Go Beyond The proverbial Line in the sand sign.
    Post them here on this site!
    http://www.aleinn.com/

Have some home cooked food!
    [​IMG]

Oh, and wear that motorcycle gear in your avatar:alien1:eek:n the drive out there and the whole trip don't speak any normal words...sorta just hummm.:eek:
    Make sure you video tape it & post that here too!
    :wink

Great travel Map
    http://www.aleinn.com/directions/

Have a few shots at the bar
    [​IMG]

This is from the Little A'Le'Inn web site:
    Rachel is an unincorporated portion of Lincoln County, Nevada. As the closest habitation to the Nellis Air Force Range and Area 51, Rachel enjoys a modest celebrity, particularly among aviation enthusiasts and UFO hunters. The town lies approximately three hours drive north of Las Vegas along Nevada Highway 375 (the "Extraterrestrial Highway"), which has an unofficial "speed limit" of Warp 7. :eek2

4. flyguyfl

flyguyfl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't taken the Area 51 tour, but I have toured the Nevada Testing Site and I strongly recommend this free tour. You have to register months in advance (looks like you'll have to call for 2015 dates) and pass security clearance, but you'll be able to enter the government area of which Area 51 is one of dozens of sections. You'll see craters caused by nuclear detonations and other test areas.

If Ernie is still giving tours (each bus has a tour guide) pick his tour. He worked at the test site when it was built / active, and has great stories.

I am interested in Area 51, but was disappointed in the exhibit offered at the Atomic Museum (not sure if it's still there). I like the rest of the Museum.

6. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took an opportunity to contemplate the Universe at the Black Mailbox.

[​IMG]

Bill

7. Danny1970

Danny1970 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about safety? Radiation will last for centuries. I'll skip this tour.

8. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were fine with it, but I can see how folks can have concern. You're outside for a few hours total during the tour, and the tour guides have been giving the tours for decades (one was in his 70s, the other his 80s - both worked on the base when it was active).

Again, this is somewhat unrelated to Area 51, since you do not have access to that area during the tour, but it was a great tour and time well spent if you are interested in the nuclear age.

9. angelo

angelo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that the Area 51 tour is not so much of seeing something (it should be), but just the experience and excitement of going to a secret area.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't know there was a tour. No, it's definitely not worth $200!

I know I wrote this up on Usenet over a decade ago but I can't find it so I'll summarize.

I, my brother, and one of his friends drove up to Area 51, one of those "sometimes you just gotta say "what the {heck}" type of things.

It's out in the middle of nowhere, and you really won't see anything exciting, but if you time it just right you may meet some very interesting characters.

To say that this place is in the middle of nowhere is an understatement! The big highlight of the trip up there was stopping for a soda at Alamo, the only real town between Las Vegas and Area 51. It's a loooooooooong drive. We enjoyed the drive and just shooting the bull.

We stopped at the Black Mailbox, which is actually white. Most famous mailbox in the known universe! :)

We did breakfast/brunch at the Little A-Lee-Inn, which was at the time one of two places open in the non-town of Rachel.

We decided to do breakfast at the bar, and I was a bit surprised to see all of the Anti-Clinton propaganda on the wall behind the bar!

I got a chuckle out of the "Restricted Area" sign on the ladies room door. :)

Among the people we met at the bar was one guy named Clark. I can't remember if Clark was his first name or last name, but he was semi-famous at the time, and was writing a book about Area 51 and such. At the time, he had been arrested, his house searched, etc. He and another guy at the bar told us in detail what we could and could not do ("don't cross the line of orange posts") and what we mostly could not see.

There are two places you can get up to the line, one is a wee bit north of Rachel, but the famous one is just south and west of Rachel and they gave us a Xerox sheet with a hand-drawn map of the dirt roads and exactly where to go.

It's several miles on dirt roads to the restricted area. It kind of sneaks up on you, however. It's incredibly scenic out there, assuming you like deserts. :)

The big highlights out there are the sign "Restricted Area, Use of deadly force authorized" and the jeep with the goons ("Cammo Dudes") parked high on the hill and watching us with binoculars. We waved, of course. :)

Yes, there is a line of orange posts, and it looked like the Cammo Dudes were positioned so they could clearly see if somebody went an inch or so over the line.

We hung around there maybe 5-10 minutes and then drove off back to Las Vegas, stopping for gas and a soda in Alamo, of course.

That's about it. Woo-Hoo - Really exciting, huh? :)

11. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the replies, although I'm interested in the Area 51 stuff I guess that all I will see is a lot a desert and some signs, thinking about it, if it was cheaper then I would be tempted but maybe $200 is a bit much. I did the LA trip last year for the same price and seen a lot more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.