1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are You Afraid Of iCloud?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It just seems to me that it is too easily hacked.

Yes, I am paranoid, but also lucid.

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah. I have music in it but that's it. It's not so much hacking than I don't trust big tech wanting everything uploaded to their servers. Trust me, I have plenty of space on my hard drive and it's not a hassle transferring on usb drives.

I should point out now that the last breach was done by password theft on a personal level and not a break in on anything at Apple.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not trust things being backed up correct, so no.

Security? Not worried about that part.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what are you putting on the cloud that is so security sensitive? It's secure enough for what I use it for.

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everything is too easily hacked.

The question you need to ask yourself is .... would anyone want anything you are putting on there, would you particularly care if anyone got it, and if you would, are the features of it worth that risk?

If you are a top actress who takes naughty selfies and doesn't want them googled, be afraid. If you're no one of particular significance and you don't want anyone to know that you have all the Fine Young Cannibals albums, and 10000 pictures of your cat, you are probably safe.

6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that's funny!

7. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

No.

The accounts that were hacked were protected with either very simple passwords or had security questions that could easily be answered by someone with Google. For example, let's say an actress had her account hacked. The hacker would simply need her email address, which could be discovered any number of ways. Once the hacker has them email address, he did one of two things. The password could then be reset by answering security questions like "What city was I born in?", which for a celebrity is easy to find out. Another method is to simply enter (via script) thousands of passwords until something hits. This is called a bruteforce attack.

The moral of the story is use a strong password. When I say strong I mean a mix of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and punctuation marks. Use all of them, not some of them. Also have strong security questions that only you know the answer to. Something like "Where is my birthmark?" or "Where did I first meet my spouse?".

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the other people here. I am just careful about what I put in there. No password files, money info, personal docs, etc. Music, photos, etc are okay. But my naked selfies stay right where they belong - Non-existent. :)

Now, if I could stop my dad from letting "Microsoft" access his computer when they cold-call on the phone. DOH!!!

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many businesses are pushing the icloud to store your data. The icloud people say that they encrypt all files so even if they are hacked the file should be protected. Some companies use computer generated passwords that are supposedly so long that they can't be hacked or broken, plus these passwords are changed on a regular basis depending on how secure you want your files to be.

Personally I don't trust the icloud to store my personal data and won't use them but many companies are starting to move to the icloud to store their data.

10. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

Many businesses are not moving to the "iCloud", they are moving to cloud storage. iCloud is Apple's cloud storage and computing service. Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, Dropbox, Mega, Amazon Cloud, etc. are all cloud storage services. Most businesses use cloud storage provided by the company that provides their web hosting or server space.

11. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other than my Music Library a few Photos and some iOS edited iMovie(s), I export my Media
    to an External Drive for safe keeping and then delete them from iCloud and "My Photo Stream".
    I do keep a few of my favorite trip Photos in My Photo Stream to view on all my devices.

PS: I should add that I do Manual Back Ups only to the Cloud. I never use Auto settings.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

iCloud, not iClowns? Shit. I was gonna chime in that I'm damned fearful of iClowns. Just creepy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.