1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are you a "Water Pressure Snob" like me? Need advice/info!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by ssfblue, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssfblue

ssfblue Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just recently, I was labeled a "water pressure snob" by a friend because of my complaints about crappy water pressure at some hotels.

I have been trying to figure out why water pressure at some hotels sometimes suck where at others, it's absolutely awesome. My first thought was that hotel management regulates the water pressure so they can save money on water; however, I had an issue come up recently on my latest stay at the Encore.

Every single one of my previous stays at Wynn/Encore have been perfect, in terms of water pressure. The showers would spray with much gusto and I would feel utterly clean afterwards. My last stay, however, the water pressure absolutely sucked! The pressure was so soft to the point where I felt like the soap either took forever to wash off or it did not feel like it was coming off at all!

Previously, I have stayed on either high floors or the 6th floor, as I request lower floors now. And the water pressure has been great! This latest stay had me on the 5th floor.

I began to wonder if the level of water pressure is related to the floor I'm on or whatever. I mean, the low water pressure at the Wynn was so surprising considering their track record with me.

Does anyone have any insight on how water pressure in hotels work? Is there a way for me to "pick" the right room or floor, if such a thing is involved?

Crappy water pressure is crappy.

2. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go stay at Caesar's Palace next time then. :poke:

Was just there in the Augustus tower 31st floor and nearly got my skin peeled off by that insane water pressure! Tried to rotate the shower head to 'pulsate' mode, but it was just too strong. I loved it!

Maybe there just isn't that much pressure left that far North on the strip! :evillaugh

3. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too, want enough pressure to clean an elephant at the zoo. Although poor pressure and low volume are annoying, the slimy, not rinsed feeling is more likely from soft water. I am a car wash owner and have softeners at each car wash. It drives me crazy when I wash my hands at the wash because they never feel rinsed by the soft water. Maybe they have installed softeners where they didn't have them before.

4. dalej42

dalej42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do like a good shower when I'm in Las Vegas. I live in an older high rise in Chicago, so I rarely get any water pressure at home. The Luxor, thankfully, has good water pressure in all of their rooms.

5. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time I stayed at the MGM Grand I was in a room with two showers. One stand alone and one with a tub. We literally couldn't use the stand alone shower because the water pressure was too strong and would have ripped us apart.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with Buck. I don't like soft water. You don't feel rinsed. I hate feeling like there's still soap on me. I'm not as fussy on the actual pressure. Although I will notice if it truly sucks. I'm not trying to clean paint off metal or anything.

7. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at the Mirage over christmas and the water pressure was near non existent. We take showers but once in awhile we will soak in the tub and it took about 15 minutes to fill and just as long to empty until the maintenance guy came and pulled a huge hairball out of the drain.:vomit:

He also said he increased the water pressure from a valve behind the tap but we didn't notice any improvement.

8. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    interesting... last encore stay i was also on floor 5 (rm 502) and noticed much lower water pressure than typical at encore. I usually get high floors.

at the spa which is the floor below, the water pressure was cranking!

9. Emeraldcity

Emeraldcity Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I asked maintenance to come and change out my shower head. Seems it was just clogged by the hard water deposits and the new shower head fixed the problem. I've done this at Bellagio too. Sometimes it is just a simple shower head change out to make all the difference.

10. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a plumber but I did a lot of repairs when in my young and stupid days when I owned 6 apt. houses. In new construction systems need to be designed and plans have to be approved to make sure they meet codes. Volume serving hundreds or thousands of rooms potentially all being used at the same time would have to be calculated and feed pipes would have to be sized to deliver the amount of water necessary.

At our farm we have a well and septic so we have a pump and a tank and regulate the pressure while at my business and houses in town water is delivered at a certain pressure from the street. The minute I read that ssfblue said he had stayed at other rooms with great pressure and this room was terrible, I suspected the shower headed. In this case it turned out to be minerals, in older buildings on city water systems often it is a broken washer or water restrictor or other object that flowed up under pressure and becomes an obstruction. Most of my houses were over 100 years old and had no shutoffs at all when I bought them so I started putting shutoff's to different parts of the building, and as apts emptied I installed shutoff's under the kitchen and bathroom sinks and the toilet. Originally I used shutoffs wth washers in the basements and these eventually would deteriorate and break apart and would end up obstructing a faucet somewhere. I soon paid a bit more and used only brass ball valves with bleeders for all shut offs.

In old construction where units were added on and tied into existing plumbing, undersized pipes could cause a drop in pressure if several were used at the same time but this would not likely be the problem in new construction like at the Wynn. So yours was a good call Emeraldcity!

Jimbo338

11. Jinx

Jinx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too am a water pressure snob, not much to add, as others have pointed out, hard and soft water will make a difference, also with Wynn doing some of their cost savings recently, it's not out of the question, that they installed water flow pieces on the shower head, I truly hate those things, but they do work.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.