1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are cameras allowed

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Atlsooner, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atlsooner

Atlsooner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was wanting to know if cameras were allowed at shows? Going to dinner one night , and then a show. Didn't know if cameras were allowed . Thanks for your insight.

2. NickyDim

NickyDim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No they are not. They will tolerate you taking a photo or 2 from your phone, but I was snapping away with a camera at Legends and a bouncer came up behind me and said "Put the camera away or you'll never see it again". I'm sure each show has there own tolerance level. Gordie brown was no trouble taking a few shots but we weren't close to the stage.

3. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Colosseum shows - no flash photography but, I would say 80% of the audience use their phones

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends on the show. Most do not permit it. Some say no flash.

Years ago I remember Gallagher at Sahara said to go ahead and take them. I tried to get a good shot of watermelon pieces flying.

Right before the short-lived variety show Buck Wild they made an announcement "Anyone caught taken photos will be taken to the back room and severely beaten!" :)

I've occasionally gotten away taking discreet photos at concerts. I shot this (available light, hail-mary shot over the head) at PH about 10 years ago:

[​IMG]

5. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most shows do not allow photos. They usually mention this in a funny way at the beginning of the show. But I'm sure it wouldn't be so funny if they caught you! The key, I think, is not to use a flash, because at that point it becomes obvious!
    IMG_1558.jpg

Will give them a try!
    Caesar's AC
  6. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, but just turn the flash off, and no one will know the difference.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you asking if cameras are allowed or if taking pictures is allowed?

8. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blue Man Group encourages the use of phones at the end of the show only. Most other shows don't tolerate it.

I was at Fantasy in December. A dude a couple seats away was trying to take a video from his phone, they quickly told him NO. A few minutes later he tried again. This time they were more emphatic. A couple minutes later they were rushing past me to drag him out, he was protesting loudly. They came back, apologized to our row (I was about four seats from the end) and offered us free drinks. Of all places to think you could video and get away with it!

A bright video screen in a dark theatre. A drunk patron who thinks he is smarter than the sober Security personnel. Pretty funny! Made my night even better!

When Wayne Brady was playing a few years ago he actually stopped his show and called out a lady who had her phone out (he's really nasty when he wants to be). Made them toss her from the show because she did successfully sneak a picture (it flashed). He berated her to tears. What an asshole he is. I understand it interrupted the flow of the show but he went way overboard. My son was with me that night and we both lost all respect for him as a performer that night.

Best bet is to just sit back and enjoy the show, memories are so much better. I usually buy the CD or DVD afterwards to have the music permanently. Better quality anyway.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NOT DIRECTED AT THE OP (unless it fits), but instead directed to others.

A pic or two is not bad, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not do videos, or take pictures through the entire show.

All the people around you paid good money to ENJOY the show. Watching somebody with a phone up in the air taking pics or video ruins the show.

And, guess what - you will probably never watch it again anyways. And, none of your friends and family really want to watch it either.

Sit back and enjoy.

10. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Depends on the show. Examples of shows that do allow no-flash photography are Zarkana and Le Reve.

11. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I saw Terry Fator a month ago, he encouraged photos and video.

As others have noted, it depends on the show. Some shows list what's permitted on their websites, some do not.

I've been to several shows and special events where I was required to check in my camera because pictures were not allowed. Then, I was frustrated to see the cell phones come out during the show and Security did nothing. If cameras aren't allowed then cell phones shouldn't be allowed either - there is no difference between the two anymore.

At a couple of recent events, pro or full-sized cameras were not allowed but small digital cameras and cell phones were. I found that distinction interesting.

Bill

12. Atlsooner

Atlsooner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much for your insight. The reason I ask, my wife and I are going to The Top of the World for dinner. Obviously want to take pictures, but after dinner, we are going to Mandalay Bay to the Cirque de Soleil show. Just didn't want to carry my expensive camera to dinner and then the show, and not be able to use it at the show. Thanks again.

13. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's the MJ show, from the website: "Taking Photos during a performance is not only dangerous to the performers, but distracting to your fellow patrons as well. Video/Cell phone/Recording devices of all kinds are prohibited. This policy will be strictly enforced."

Bill

14. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Don't bring the camera. Photography of any kind (flash or no flash) is not permitted at any Cirque show. They make this very clear by way of announcement when the show is about to begin, and the ushers will strictly enforce this rule. When I saw KA I took a quick photo of the inside of the theater way before the show even started because it is very beautiful, and I was quickly told "no photos allowed" by a vigilant usher.

Some shows do allow photos and even encourage them. I saw Britney Spears a few weeks ago and you could take all the photos and videos you wanted as long as you did not use flash and you only had a small digital camera or smartphone, not a professional quality camera.

15. Atlsooner

Atlsooner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. Advice taken.

16. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we saw Rod Stewart a couple of years ago they told people no video photography and Rod caught somebody doing it and called him a mother F'er. Can't remember if he had the guy thrown out but I would have no had problem if he'd done so. It's a simple request to not take video. If they say no pictures it's pretty clear no pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  17. JoJoR

JoJoR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is actually not true anymore. I just saw KA a few weeks ago and they do allow photos.

18. M_ILIS

M_ILIS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before the show only, right? When I saw it in April they made a point of saying you can take photos in the theater up until a few minutes before showtime. Then they told everyone it was time to put all cameras away and acted out a demonstration of what they do to people caught taking pictures during the show, which apparently (and unfortunately) wasn't severe enough to scare off a couple losers around me who kept taking pictures.

19. JoJoR

JoJoR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Naa they allow pictures during the show as well too (just no flash). I've had the same experience with O and Zarkana this year as well.

20. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every show is different Saw Britney twice never had any problem taking as many pics as i wanted, Absinthe 3 times no problem, Shania the first 2 times they were watching a lot warning people , last time around no problem at all and i had front row seats

Olivia newton john i took a couple and got a warning

They know its a losing battle with phone nowadays but the smaller rooms/adult show still try to enforce it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.