1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone use Booking.com?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by gambler, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just searched through the threads and see alot of people suggesting using Booking.com to find room rates.

Just wondering if anyone actually booked through them and whether everything turned out well? We're looking for rooms in Williams, Flagstaff and Sedona for a trip to the Grand Canyon. They seems to have spectacular rates for the area but it's kinda scaring me a bit. Anyone with reviews? Thanks.

2. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used Booking.com a few times to get a room in Montreal, with no problems whatsoever.
    the only thing is with those websites (Expedia, Priceline, Booking, etc...), you don't always get your ideal room. If floor number and that sort of thing doesn't bother you, then you'll be fine.

3. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use booking. Com for nearly all my bookings. Never encountered getting a crappy room because of the discount fare. Have even gotten a free upgrade to a suite once on a cheap rate, wanted to check out if the 20$ trick (20€ trick in this case) also worked here in Holland. It was at a hotel where my wife's work had a party. My wife didn't want us to look like fools so she forbid me to test it. But we got the upgrade anyway :evillaugh
    Back ontopic, just be careful when you book that you look if the price you're paying is refundable incase you want to cancel. Those are normally the cheapest rates. And if breakfast is included or not.
    Good luck!

4. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer it to all the others.
    They don't take the full amount of the booking upfront, just whatever the hotel takes to hold the room, in Vegas that is one night's booking.

The site does not charge a cancelation fee, but some hotels might.
    It is always better to book directly if you can manage the same price because modification of all discount broker bookings is impossible. To change from a 5 day booking to a 4 day booking you have to cancel the entire booking and rebook and usually that is at a higher rate.

Also, make a call always to the place directly and ask about resort fees, cleaning fees, insurance fees and anything else that might be tacked on the room rate. You never know unless you talk directly to the hotel. You can still book through the discount broker.

Then when you do that final confirmation a few days before you go, do that also directly with the hotel to see if they know you are coming. If there is a paperwork snafu they then have time to correct it before you get there rather than while you wait, tired from travel, in the lobby.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also like booking . com because they don't charge you the whole thing up front. Hotels . com is good but you have to pay everything up front. Like Dewey said, for most reservations, booking only charges what it takes to hold the room. I used booking . com for a stay at the el cortez last year, they only charged $50 (I was there for 6 nights at an avg of $24 a night) and I paid the rest when I got there. The policy depends on the hotel, some hotels don't charge you when you book (you have to pay when you check in), other hotels charge you a night or two.

I always make sure that my reservation took so I call the hotel to check prior to my trip to confirm.

Also note, booking . com has a price matching guarantee so if you find a cheaper rate through another site you can always call them (booking . com) to get the lower rate. I recommend calling them, when I tried to go through the net it took days for them to respond and by then the lower rate went away. As Dewey mentioned, when I find a better rate I call and they usually cancel my original booking and rebook under the lower rate.

As for rooms, it might depend on the hotel. I used the site to book a room in san fran. the hotel gave me a crappy room, saying that they usually give the lowest rooms for third party bookings since they are cut rate prices. guess YMMV but in vegas most rooms are usually the standard ones. Not sure about elsewhere though.

One word of advice, when you are on the net checking out rates, make sure you read the fine print, some rates include everything, including taxes and hotel fees, other rates are only the nightly rate and so it will cost more when you add in the taxes and fees.

6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried Booking.com on the recommendation of Dewey in one of his posts and could not be happier. I like all the advantages mention above. i have also cancelled and rebooked a stay without any problems at all. Honestly, my first reservation was so cheap at THE EL CORTEZ, thought they wouldn't even talk to me. On the contrary, I was treated like a VIP or their best high roller. This year I was supposed to stay at the Gold Spike, and before booking, I called the hotel direct and they quoted me a prive $150.. cheaper directly so explore all avenues. have a great trip.

jimbo338

7. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your help guys. It was exactly the info I was after.

The booking.com site is a great reference for room types. I haven't found another site that actually tells you what beds are in each room. We'll be travelling with our teenage son and daughter so I was specifically looking for a suite with 3 beds or a sofabed. Since it doesn't sound like they'll guarantee me that specific room, I'm just going to book 2 regular rooms with 2 queens in each. The rates are around $50 a night so it's pretty cheap. I'm really surprised that I can get rates like that outside of Vegas.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.