1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone taken a Route 66 Road Trip?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, Jun 9, 2016.

1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry - I've been a pest lately............

One of our considerations for a fall trip is to start in Illinois & meander along Route 66. I like to meander, but also am not willing to risk being 'hotel-less' due to fall travel so I would like to plan ahead a bit (of our 7 night trip last year the hotels we were at were sold out 5 out of the 7 nights and they were turning people away when we were checking in).

We have taken numerous trips to St Louis over the years and a few down as far as Springfield & Branson, but those have pretty much been on the 4 lanes. We have hit a few 'well known' 66 landmarks such as Ted Drewes numerous times & I have been to Cozy Dog in Springfield, although husband hasn't.

I'm thinking 4 days down with possibly 2 days back (not as much stopping on return of course). We will be starting in Western Wisconsin so we are a good 5 hours to a start point of Joliet or so (likely would not start in Chicago).

Just curious if anyone has done a road trip like this, what your favorite stops were, how long you spent doing it, did you stay at more 'classic motels' (if there are any left) or just stick with the known chains at the interstate, etc.

I have been looking at the site for drivingroute66 - but would like personal opinions from anyone here. Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. Jaci2014

Jaci2014 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We drove it from Gallup New Mexico to just the San Bernadino area. Beautiful drive, sometimes boring but worth it to do such things as standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona!

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We won't be able to get that far west this trip. Just trying to get tentative plans made. Still hashing around taking the regular small Sonoma truck we usually travel with or possibly the 53 Studebaker instead.

4. bu$hman

bu$hman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Waiting for my son to get a little older. I grew up, and live on 6 (Albuquerque.) I want to do the whole thing, one of these days.

5. justdeb

justdeb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we used to drive cross country from CA to Richmond Virginia in the summers when i was a kid. (the 60's)
    we'd take the 66 from somewhere in Arizona to Illinois. This was before the interstate i believe, because when i got
    older, we didn't do the 66 anymore.

i wish my hub would want to do stuff like that now.

6. jack1057

jack1057 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I drove the Amarillo to Kingman portion 4 times. Lots to see. Petrafied forest and Painted desert. Winslow, Gallup, Williams Az. The Tepee Motel, Roadkill Cafe. Sure some of it is just desert but you cross the Divide up in mountains and it's beautiful. We usually spent night in Flagstaff and Albuquerque. Just get off IH40 at the small towns and most have renovated old stores and gass stations etc

7. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd love to fly out west & go from there east/west. I haven't been thru the painted desert since I was 13. But he likes having our own vehicle.

8. PJMargDE

PJMargDE Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A Rt 66 trip is on my bucket list. Maybe from NM then west. Trying to get one of my brothers to join me.

9. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done pieces of it ever since I was a kid. Living in San Bernardino you really can't help it. The wife and I have done dribs and drabs along the length, but the full thing will have to wait until I retire. Then we can do a serious road trip!

The Wigwam Motel is still open.

10. wormhole

wormhole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drove the AZ section a few years ago. Stumbled on the Roadkill Cafe by accident (due to turnng around in a parking lot after missing a turn off to I40). My reaction was: "Oh really? I need to check this place out."

11. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking to drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. I'm sure there's a Route 66 in there..

12. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found nothing interesting on Route66. I didnt get any kicks or thrills on it.
    Besides that over priced store with 60's style cars and manequins all over, there is not much to see.

The thing is a molehill made into a mountain for consumers of tourist traps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I drove it twice - East to West / then, West to East.
    This was a looooong time ago !
    I drove from NYC to Knoxville, Tenn ----
    then, thru Fort Smith, Ark -- ( looking for a beer in a "dry" county ! ) -
    then, thru Texas + Okla "panhandle" --- into Alb. NM - onto destination = Phx AZ.
    Not sure anymore, what part was actually old Route 66 ?
    Cranking 100 mph like it was 45 mph !
    Accidently drove thru a herd of "open range" cattle doing 90 mph -- jesus ! I was lucky !

• Like Like x 1
  14. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would rather do Smoky Mountains, New Orleans, etc. however none of those seem to be getting a good response. Not that I have anything against doing 66, but I want a 'destination' lol vs. just driving.

15. G Mack

G Mack Tourist

I've done major parts of the trip. It's definitely not for folks who require luxury accommodations and/or constant stimulation, but if you get a kick out of long road trips and kitschy stuff (think Wigwam Motel, Cadillac Ranch, etc.), it can be fun. Worked for me.

16. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I have driven it twice in the sixties when it was fully intact. We started in Chicago and broke off at Kingman, AZ when we made a run into Vegas.r

17. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After mom & I went to Joliet last weekend, I would easily at least consider starting there.