1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone lose most or all $$ at airport upon arrival??

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by bubbamsu, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbamsu

bubbamsu Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To go along with some of the recent threads about the airport slots and losing cash funds......

A few trips ago, my wife and I were sitting behind a couple that where obvious Vegas rookies and they were extremely excited and went on and on during the flight (4hrs from Detroit) about how they were going to play the first slot machine they saw and how they have heard stories that almost everyone wins in Vegas, etc... Their enthusiasm was great and I can only imagine how I sounded the first few trips. It made the flight enjoyable when I paid attention.

After deplaning, the look on the lady's face was priceless, wish I had a camera. She shrieked like a 12 yr girl at a Boy Band concert when she saw they had slots in the gate area. She took off like a bat out of hell and immediately started to play. We left the baggage area without seeing them come down to get their bags and I have wondered if they ever got out of the gate area??

I have always wondered how many people have gotten a little crazy after getting off the plane and blown through most or all of their funds. It has to have happened in the past.

2. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never known anyone to do that and thank goodness have never done it myself. I hope for her sake, that this couple had a huge bankroll!

40th Birthday Bash!
  3. Kimsa70

Kimsa70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone onve told me he lost $6k when he landed in Vegas. He was 21 from NY and grew up going to AC every weekend with his parents. He said his parents had to wire home more $ for his trip. I don't even want to know how he went through that much at the airport considering there's nothing higher than $1 machines!

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never play when we land, because I want to get to the hotel as soon as possible and do SERIOUS play, with drinks. And no worries about baggage, checking in, transportation, etc.

I only play a little on the way out. I know those machines are really tight, and also a bit concerned about the flight. It could be two hours, but I would get a machine that would not pay me and need a slot tech. Or, I might even hit a handpay and then be faced with missing flight or getting my money. If I miss the flight, I would much of that money to buy a new ticket.

5. 4dazeoff

4dazeoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i can understand playing some slots at the airport on your way home but i can't see why anyone would play upon arrival. ok, maybe $20 or $40 because of excitment. and maybe just another $20. then $20 more. alright, one more $20. wait, i almost won! $20 more. ha ha, you get the picture! good luck all!:beer:

6. stanmills34

stanmills34 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    25 dollars in the .25 wheel of fortune.

7. Pinny Long

Pinny Long High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never played on landing.
    Only when waiting for my departure.
    And it's with no hope of actually winning something. It's just because they're there and I have another hour before loading on the plane.

8. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never play when we arrive, I'm in too much of a hurry to get the party started, lol. Well it already started in the aiport waiting to board.

When we USED to check bags, I would throw a ten in one of the machines by the carousel while hubbie waited for the luggage.

I can't imagine someone playing alot of money once they arrive at the airport, lol. Bad odds, no free drinks, the horror!

:beer::beer::beer:

9. Jameezy

Jameezy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Luckily for me I just look past the slots at the airport for the most part. I realize there are no comps at airports so I don't bother. Now on the way back if my flight is delayed I will put a few bucks in to pass the time.

10. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not really, they rebook you on the next available flight for free. i've missed several flights over the years for various reasons.

11. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

Note the word "available". Sometimes not a nice word.

And even worse if traveling with wife who has had enough "fun".

12. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which airline is so considerate and generous of putting you into the next available flight for free (while it's your fault of missing the flight)? Unless you bought the first class ticket?

13. golfnut

golfnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always throw ten dollars into the slots by baggage claim while waiting. Like to use it to set the tone of the trip. Unless I lose then I don't.

14. MTPocket

MTPocket Low-Roller

On one trip years ago my flight schedule had a plane change in Salt Lake with a 90 min layover. When the first flight landed in Salt Lake I was told that there was an issue with my connecting flight (different smaller plane type). I was given an option of taking the next flight which was in 20 min & on the other side of the terminal; stand-by for my original flight; or re-book on a flight in 4 hours. I took the 20 min run through the terminal, however I was told my bag would not make the flight but would be on my scheduled flight.

I ended up in Vegas over an hour early however I did not want to have to come back for my bag. I sat down at a machine and willingly gave it a $20, and by five spins I was up $500. I took the money and went down to baggage claim and waited there for next hour.

Not a loss, but a great way to start a trip.

15. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recall vividly a trip from maybe 20 years ago, we arrived early to leave vegas and were just sitting there watching the people throw their money away at the airport machines, some guy got lucky and won $1000(really big money back then) ...he let out a little shout to his companion, it took some time to get paid in those days. I said to my wife what a lucky bastard(we had had our ass handed to us the whole trip). The funny thing is he kept playing the same machine, I had hardly got the words out of mouth about what an idiot he was to keep playing, and how he was going to lose it all back, when he hit for another grand, I didn't say another word, I didnt need to!

16. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't know people still checked bags.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always check bags. Can not get my wife anywhere near the carryon limits. We have Delta credit card - no baggage fee. On Southwest, no baggage fees.

18. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me it isn't about fees, it's all about incompetent airlines continuously losing luggage. Or watching the ground crew throw the bags around like they are footballs.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  19. auburnu008

auburnu008 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people need to pack more than what can go into a carry on. Therefore those people (90+% of travelers) check a bag.

20. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bet its closer to -50% than it is +90% esp now that most charge.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.