1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone from Ventura?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NandJfrmNJ, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

On our upcoming trip to LV, we'll be spending several days in LA and plan to go to the Channel Islands. Anyone been there? Places to stay in Ventura close to the pier? Which island? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

We're a bit more than an hour north.

Santa Cruz or Santa Rosa; check the NPS website for what island offers what and which outfitters provide access. There's a Crowne Plaza by the westerly pier by the fairgrounds, more options down by the harbor. Eat at Brophy's in the harbor. And downtown is cute, lotsa options.

3. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

Thanks Ken. I did check the website and TA but still can't decide. Have you been there? I think Island Outfitters is the only provider for trips to the islands so I guess we don't have much choice.

4. ken2v

The islands are somewhat interchangeable (once you get past Santa Catalina). Go with Santa Cruz for the addition of the watersports.

5. ken2v

P.S. Do you plan to venture northward at all?

6. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

Northward to where? Should we? Actually, we'll be coming to LA from Harrah's Rincon but if there's something else we should see further north, we're game. We don't plan on spending any time in LA. Live an hour from NYC and rarely go there-not big fans of cities.

7. ken2v

LA isn't remotely like NYC, not in size, temperament or most anything else. In some sense, it's not really a city, more like a huge feudal fiefdom. But I understand what you are saying.

As for north and if, that's your call. It's not exactly part of the norm for visitors to seek our Channel Islands NP, but it's cool you did. So I was just wondering what else you might've researched or what might've caught your eye, if you have the time.

8. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

We really enjoy outdoor stuff, National Parks, hiking, geologic sites, etc. I haven't really done a lot of research beyond the Channel Islands but, if you know about anything we should see, we'd be happy to hear about it. We thought of the tar pits but that looks pretty commercialized. Always looking for new stuff to do and see.

We also thought about spending a day or two in Palm Springs but early Sept. might be a little hot for hiking. We're not golfers but it looks like it's an interesting town.

If we decide to return to Vegas from Ventura, it would probably be on a Friday evening. What route would you take to minimize the onslaught of traffic to LV?

9. ken2v

If you're in the vicinity of Mid-Wilshire, here's a bit I wrote for AAA: Westways article. Car-buff or not, the thing to see there is the auto museum because it's as much about Californiana and popular American culture as cars. And grab a sando at Canter's Deli.

One thing a lotta folks don't realize is how massive is Southern California/"Los Angeles." It's huge. It goes from ocean to mountains to desert. Palm Springs to Ventura, without traffic, is a 2:30-3 hour drive; it's 180 miles. And Ventura ain't even that close to LA proper (downtown).

Well, yes, there's tons you should see beyond LA, but it doesn't sound like you have much time. For instance, Santa Barbara is 25 miles from Ventura and that's the doorstep to a wholly different California, the central coast. AWESOME wine country. Oak woodlands. Long, empty beaches. Great little villes like Santa Ynez and Los Olivos, perfect little cities like SLO and Morro Bay.

Palm Springs/Coachella Valley will indeed be hot then, but you can drop a good 15-20 degrees by going up the tram, and hiking up on the flanks of San Jacinto; it'll still be quite warm. The Living Desert in Palm Desert is another desert must-see. Again, it will be hot. Nosing around the village (Palm Springs' downtown) always is fun. It will be hot. Lotsa hiking in the Indian canyons. Ditto. I've written gobs about the desert, so drop me an email if you want to explore this in more detail: [email protected]

Anywhere-to-Vegas on a Friday will be a zoo and the only sure bet is to leave early. From Ventura you can cut up through Fillmore to Santa Clarita and on across to the high desert hooking up with the 15 in Victorville; no real time savings that way over the 101-134-210-15 route. (It's all dependent on traffic.)

10. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to compile all that info. I'm thinking that maybe we should save Palm Springs for our Oct. trip when it will be cooler and drive up the coast instead. We've driven from Oregon to SF and from SD to LA but never between SF and LA. That area would be a trip by itself. Since we come from the east coast, our time is limited but we usually stay for at least 10 days and always take 4-5 days to explore. We really love the SD area but it's getting old. We need to broaden our horizons. We're running out of NP's!
    Yeah, I guess we should plan the trip back to LV on Sat.or Sun. morning and spend more time in CA.

Again, thanks for all your help and offer of more info. When we firm up our plans, if we have any questions we'll be sure to email you. You seem to be a font of knowledge.

PS. The Living Desert would be right up our alley. We might have to fit that in on our Oct trip.

11. ken2v

Hopefully. lol Or it'd suck at my job.

October doesn't bring much relief to the desert. Sure, it likely won't be 110, but you won't want to be out hiking the Indio Hills at high noon. But it's definitely low season which is a plus in the Land of Horrible Drivers. If/when you get down that way you must include Joshua Tree NP on your itin.

Again, drop me a line if you decide to head up north through our part of the world, exciting via the Bay Area.

Ever heard of Pinnacles National Park? Our newest. Oh, and have you ever done the Sierra Nevada???

12. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

It will be late Oct. so maybe the heat will be tolerable by then. We've been to Joshua Tree many times, Mojave Desert Preserve (including the cave before it closed), Anzo Borrego (loved that one-went when the cacti were in full bloom). We go to Tahoe/Reno regularly so, yes, we've been thru the Sierra Nevada. Also been to all the state and NP's on 395. We were going to go to Pinnacles on our Rt. 395 trip but it would have been too hot. Is it worth going to?

We really are running out of new things to do! There aren't any NP's in CA, NV,UT, NM that we haven't visited. Have to get back to SW Colorado to see Shiprock and Mesa Verde. That's another great thing about going to LV-so many side trips to take!
    Thanks yet again, Ken.

13. ken2v

Worth? Hmmm. Pinnacles is what I call a subtle NP. I'd probably not cross over from 395 to hit it, but if/when you do go make it late winter/early spring, when like so much of the state it will be a full natural bounty.

I'm impressed, we have 9 NPs in the state. Most natives I know don't get close to taking most of the bases.

I like how you guys travel!!!

You need to take up golf before you get back to Shiprock, NM/Four Corners country because Farmington has one of the best muni courses in the nation!! Take a walkabout through Bisti Badlands, and have you been to Chaco???

14. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

We have been to Chaco Canyon. Don't think we'll be taking up golf anytime soon. My husband used to play but only when there was an outing with his company. Just not my cup of tea-rather be hiking through a NP instead.

15. ken2v

Sounds like your time here would be best served in wine country. Santa Barbara County wine country!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.