1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone been watching "Money Talks" on CNBC?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BeeeJay, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do people think of the show? The overall theory of the business practice?

It's funny the phone calls sound a lot like the boiler room calls on "Wolf of Wall Street" to me.

I enjoy the show and like the characters, but personally I think sports betting is already too much vig to win without inside information/fixed games, add in giving 50% of your winnings to these guys for inside information and I think it becomes virtually unwinnable without hitting like 80%+ of the picks.

2. Wolfman619

Wolfman619 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The show is fake and "Steve Stevens" is a felon.

3. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

The "clients" that appear in person on the shows are not real clients, they are paid actors. The entire show is a scripted sitcom.

The phone calls they place to unsuspecting people reflect a standard scam that has been used by boiler room pick selling operations for years: give half the clients one side of the game, give the other half of your clients the other side of the game--50% of your clients win every time. Those that win will undoubtedly purchase another "pick", which allows you to repeat the same scam.

"Steve Stevens"--who real name is Darin Notaro--has been convicted three times of scamming elderly people out of their money over the phone. He is the worst type of scum on the earth, and CNBC glorifies him by allowing this ridiculous show to air.

As someone who would like to see sports betting legalized in other states (which would help to reduce corruption and would also result in a huge tax windfall for state governments), I think this show is terrible black-eye for the industry.

All that being said, the show has a bit of "car accident" quality to it--you know you shouldn't watch, but you can't take your eyes off it.

4. mjamesp

mjamesp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy watching the show like my wife and kids like watching Dance Mom's. You know there's going to be drama (scripted drama) and a potential train wreck. But this has lots of Vegas scenes in the back ground to keep interested.

Here's my take on the business:
    Non-stop search for new customers with credit cards
    Sell a short-term subscription service
    When natural variance shines on them push to increase size of the wager with those that happen to win a couple in a row
    Move them to a "personal" service where somehow 50% vig is collected on wins
    Eventually variance turns ugly and customer is lost
    Rinse and repeat

If you could find an audience that would front the wager and pay 50% commission on wins with no risk, you couldn't help but make money. The challenge is to find a steady stream of donkey's.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    from betting games that have already started to games being played on dates other than what they claim on the show it's made-for-tv fiction

6. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get a kick out of the show. One thing is that I like to see Vegas footage, the other is I like bad tv. I have no doubt that the show is staged. There is a web site for the VIP Sports. You can even get a free sports tip! You just have to give them your phone number. I'm sure it's worth it.

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.