1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any tips for a large family get together?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by danhansen, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danhansen

danhansen Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be in Vegas from June 30th until July 3rd. This is my wife's first visit and we are also bringing 8 other family members including 2 from overseas (Norway) that have never been either. We have booked 3 shows including Love, Penn and Teller, and Illusions. All staying at Harrahs. Any tips on what else we can do together as a large group. Do u think we made the correct decisions on the shows? Trying to get a little taste of everything for both my wife and the Norwegians.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3 shows for 3 nights? man you're going to be busy.

3. MangoPort

MangoPort Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've travelled several times with groups as large as 25. Here are some general tips:

1) Have a meeting spot. Not necessarily a plan to meet there, but find a lounge or place to sit that looks comfy and if ever you've got time to kill, just want to sit and have a drink etc all agree to go to that same spot. This way if you find yourself alone and bored at 3pm you know where to go, and there's a good chance someone else from your group will wander on by.

2) Have breakfast together; even if it's at the buffet, all your plans are usually made "day of" for the little things like shopping and such so having everyone agree on a time and place to meet each morning for breakfast makes planning easier.

3) Find some alone time, even if it's just for a short bit.

4. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to add a few days. Vegas Virgins will want to see the sights. Seeing three shows is a LOT. Especially on the Euros.

Don't plan anything else.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My tips would be:

1) Don't plan too much
    Its OK if plans don't work out.
    Its OK if the group doesn't stay glued together at the hip the whole time.
    Its OK if somebody wants to go off and do something that the rest of the group doesn't.
    Its OK to do something that doesn't involve everybody in the group.

Some people who plan/organize group trips end up getting all upset when things don't work out, when they go and plan all these activities and time together and then the group doesn't end up doing hardly any of the stuff on their list.

It is better to just plan a few things, usually no more than one a day at the most, and then let the group do whatever it wants the rest of the time.

2) Tips
    This can catch some groups off guard: if the group dines together almost all restaurants will add a mandatory tip, usually around 20%, to the bill.

6. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you have two magic shows, as you probably know, though Penn and Teller is not a typical version. I'm one of those people who always recommends Broadway-style shows to people headed to Vegas, with Jersey Boys topping my list.

we often end up in Vegas with a large group, and we've found that planning only one thing per day works best for us. we usually make it an evening event, in part because a lot of people stay up late in Vegas. it gives people some structure and confidence that they will get some time together, while still allowing plenty of flexibility for individuals to explore what interests them most.

one last thought: with so many first-time visitors, you may want to arrange a meeting place at your home base and then travel to and from the dinners / shows together. it will be easy to just walk across the street to Mirage from Harrah's for LOVE, but you'll have some logistical challenges getting to the other show locations. when the "host" has figured out those logistics in advance, I think people really appreciate it.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have some fixed group times.

More important though it to have lots of time that is NOT GROUP.

Buffets are great for meeting and eating. Everyone can do their own thing.

8. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One tip for big groups, is to find a central meeting spot that everyone knows. I've done several big group trips. One in particular comes to mind. We were all staying at Ballys and would set up a meeting time for dinner or whatever. It was either at Sullys bar, or in the first row of slots by the front door. When people were late, and they are always people inevitably late, a simple text "wru? We are at "bar" or "in front". There was always one or two people, even three days into trip who never got it and would respond with "in front of F'n what!" That person would be frustrated and the group of us who were there on time would be frustrated. So set this up so EVERYONE knows. We finally put a time limit on how long we would wait before just moving on.

At harrahs, you might want to pick the middle bar, or just outside the doors by carnival court

Again, having learned the hard way, just because you are the planner doesn't mean waiting around for people longer than you should have to. It's your vacation too! Go with the flow, make some plans that are definitive, and stick to them. One way to get people to show up is have them pay for the tickets in advance and not have to pay someone back "later" or right before the show. But make others plans that are more of a "I'd like to do that, if we make it great, if not, oh well". You'll find someone is on a winning streak at craps for example, and doesn't want to leave the table. Great for them, catch up to them later. Don't stress on it. It's vegas, have fun!

Have you thought of a pool day or two? Could be fun for a larger group if you can get seats together. Just finding a spot to sit, grab a drink and people watch can take up a lot of time, so that's always something.

9. danhansen

danhansen Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much for all the responses!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.