1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Recent Experiences to MSS or Fremont Seafood Buffet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by VegasLover8, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 Low-Roller

I asked this last year before my March Madness trip. But never did make it to either buffet. Unfortunately (or fortunately) too many cognacs at the D playing VP prevented me from going.

Any recent experiences at the MSS or Fremont Seafood buffet?

I plan on going to one of them on Friday (3/20). - Unless I drink too much again

Thanks

Rich

2. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only been to the MSS seafood buffet once, and thought it was OK, certainly nothing to justify the long lines. But I have to qualify it a bit. Especially when it comes to seafood, I'm a big believer in quality over quantity.

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lately both buffets have slipped, for me anyway. At MSS the crab legs were small, spindly, and dry. I usually try to understand this because crab legs are subject to seasonal and supply and demand issues. What I didn't understand is the lack of other seafood dishes offered. No clams, oysters, or peel and eat shrimp. There were only tilapia fillets and a shrimp casserole.

Fremont's buffet had mountains of crab legs. All on the small and spindly side. And 70% were frozen solid. What thawed out ones you were able to get weren't worth the time to eat it. There were other seafood dishes though, along with limited sushi offerings.

I'd like to think that I've been there on off days, all establishments have their bad days. Hopefully I just was unlucky and that both of these buffets are back up to par. If you do decide to go let us know how it went. Good Luck and have a great time on your upcoming trip.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  4. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

I'm a fan of the Fremont seafood buffet, but it does have its ups and downs. As someone else mentioned, the season probably has a lot to do with it. Snow crab and shrimp have been available each time I've gone although the size of the crab legs changes. There have been times when the oysters were amazing and times when you didn't want to risk it. On one trip they had stone crab claws, which almost none of the other diners were touching because they didn't know how to eat them. They have a good variety of seafood dishes, so much, in fact, that I kind of wish they offered a few more non-seafood dishes for variety. Everything is served in big steam trays so many of the fish dishes have a tendency to be on the dry side unless you catch a fresh batch. The portion sizes on some of the fish dishes are way too large too. The sushi selection is small and unimpressive. They have a very good clam chowder, but it alternates with other soups. Service has always been decent for a buffet. So if you catch them on a night when everything is in season, at a time when stuff hasn't been sitting out for too long, and they have clam chowder, I'd say it's amazing for the price. On another night they're still ok. The worst visit we had, we still are enough crab legs that we felt we got our money's worth, although one of my friends was not happy about not having clam chowder.

5. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 Low-Roller

I plan on going to the Fremont one since I've never been. I've gone to the MSS one but that was 3 years ago. It was decent, but nothing stood out. The MSS had all the things I wanted (oysters, clams, mussels, crab legs, squid). Also the MSS is a few bucks more compared to the Fremont. According to their website, pricing depends on what players card level you are. Fremont is $21.99

Are the crab legs hot at the Fremont? I think they were at the MSS.

6. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

I think they had hot and cold, but hot you had to work for while cold was the split down the middle type.

7. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Small and spindly crab legs are not a seasonal issue; they are a cost-cutting measure by some buffets. The larger (and hence more meaty) a leg is, the higher cost per pound cost. Additionally, crab-catchers are only allowed to catch a minimum-size product. Anything smaller must be thrown back in the ocean.
    The smallest buffet crab legs I've encountered is at the RIO.

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have been to both buffets many times for all meals.

I love MSS because if the room but the food just doesnt do it for me.

Fremont has way better food in my opinion. Suprisingly better for the looks of the place.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cost of the MSS buffet varies depending on your player's card level. Fremont you get $2 off no matter what level you are so it is $21.99 with player's card.

I just ate at the Fremont seafood buffet last week Tuesday (march 3). Food was okay for the price. They did have cold crab legs and hot/warm crab legs (warm legs located near the carving station). Fremont also had prawns (or were they crayfish, I forget but they were red). they also had tilapia fillets and mahi fillets in addition to salmon. No clam chowder, they had seafood gumbo soup. On the other side they had calamari and some other seafood dishes. I ate my money's worth of crab legs. Like someone else said, they don't split the crab legs anymore so they provide (or you can ask) you with a utensil that will split the crab legs. They do try to put cuts in the legs to help you open them up. They also serve some sushi (located near the ice cream dispenser).

I remember the MSS seafood buffet also having stone crab claws while fremont doesn't carry them much of the time. MSS also has a better selection of other types of food (Chinese, etc. on the other side of the room, pizza also).

I really can't determine if one is better than the other but I go to the fremont seafood buffet because it is cheaper. If I'm in the mood to also eat other things (than seafood) I would eat at the MSS buffet IMHO.

10. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 Low-Roller

Thanks for the update on the Fremont one. That is the one I'm planning on going to.

Did you notice whether they had other shell fish like oysters or clams or mussels?

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, they did have oysters. It was right next to the cold crab legs. Not sure about clams or mussels since I don't usually eat those things.

good luck though, I heard that it will be nuts this year with march madness so expect to see lots of crowds when you get there next week. (not sure, you have the march madness countdown timer so not sure if you are going to be there or not).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.