1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Portland, Maine advice?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realjwstorm

realjwstorm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're coming to Maine, it's going to be well worth the drive to go to Acadia park IMHO .. I try to get down there at least twice a year .. one of my favorite spots is Schoodic Point. It's a former naval air base .. basically just a point of land that jets out away from the coastline .. you'll see some awesome waves and tons of rocks to climb on if you're into that kind of thing. While it's technically considered part of Acadia, it's separate from the Bar Harbor area and what most people consider Acadia National Park. It's a bit of a drive away from the island, but well worth it!

As far as Portland goes, the only times I've really ever been there much has been for concerts or events at the Cumberland Civic Center. There's the Old Port, but that's more of a college crowd thing ..

2. dostoy

dostoy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up south of Portland. Definitely hit J's Oyster bar, Becky's Diner and Gritty McDuff's. Also take the mail boat run on the Casco Bay Ferry you get a great tour of the Bay.

3. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do wander north on route 1, make sure to stop at Moody's Diner. It's open 24 hours, has fantastic food (especially the homemade pies) and a bit of local flavor. Acadia National park is beautiful, especially the northern portion noted as the Schoodic Penninsula. It's a long drive from Portland, but it's worth seeing. If you won't ever return to Maine then I would say make the trip. If you think you might be back then save it for a trip where you have more time to enjoy both the park and the drive (some of the best of what Maine has to offer is found by simply meandering on Route 1 and checking out whatever you see that sparks some interest). The suggestions of Becky's diner and the mail run above are also worth considering.

4. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yep - Acadia...
    take some food and drink and do sunset on Cadillac Mountain.. great views from up there...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.