1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any orchid growers out there?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mom has had an orchid in her room for probably three years now. She has never had the mindset to properly take care of it. Her mild dementia is turning into moderate dementia. She recently had a 5 week stay in the nursing home after a fall -- I went through her bedroom and seriously considered pitching it. It had no flower /vine growth at all and the roots were thick above the soil. Just the green leaf - But I know how she loved it when it bloomed. I repotted it and now I have a spurt of vine improving every day. I put one of these stained glass watering bulbs my sister gave her to help keep the soil moist -- Not sure if that is the right thing to do but I've got growth. And it is sitting in a window facing east.

Any tricks of the trade?? Thanks Val

36th Wedding Anniversary
  2. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm no expert. I've cared for an orchid for about 4 months (so far). I think you are supposed to allow the orchid media (it isn't regular potting soil, it's a cellulose-looking compound) to dry out in between waterings. The container should have a large hole on the bottom to allow any excess water to drain.
    You may want to check one of the gardening websites, like Dave's Garden, for detailed information.

3. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I did repot in a miracle grow soil that was labeled orchid soil. I'll check out the site.

36th Wedding Anniversary
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.