1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any one else sticking it out for SW anniversary sale??

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by vwhiten, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good grief nothing under $200 to fly from either San Antonio or Austin to Vegas on August 1st. What happened??? I know supply and demand. I found the flight I want out of Austin non-stop -- I prefer Austin to San Antonio -- nicer airport - cheaper parking, plus they have a free shuttle that takes you to and from the parking lot. I grew up in San Antonio and they have never been able to make their airport classy - it has a 3rd world kind of feel -- it has gotten nicer over the years - sort of. I'm entitled to criticize because I grew up there.

I will have enough points for my flight to Vegas and may have to purchase a few for the hubbie's flight. Then I am hoping the fares come down to get the return flight. I know southwest lets you re-book for a cheaper. I'm not the kind to keep checking after booking my flight. However, I just rebooked my MGM stay when my Saturday night went from $149-119 -- then I promptly added the $20 early check in. :grrr:

36th Wedding Anniversary
  2. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same problem I had. I wanted to fly out of SAT or AUS for our October trip. Rates were pretty low, around $140 each way. I almost booked but didn't. Checked the next day, they went UP to around $170. Said screw that. Now, I don't mind road trips, we have driven to Vegas twice. So, I checked DAL (Love Field). Rates were $104 non-stop each way. I booked those right away. Now those rates have gone up.

I just checked August 1st, and the lowest is $171 for non-stop (out of DAL). I am hopeful that AUS rates will drop, but not holding my breath.

Good luck.

Edit: I put Hobby for the DAL airport. Don't know why I got confused with HOU.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dallas is still reaping the rewards of the Wright Amendment dropping off the books. Southwest is rewarding them nicely. I wish I could have booked when it was around $50 to fly out of Dallas. They are still cheaper but a flight to Dallas takes away any savings. Then to drive 5-6 hours to catch a flight to save a few bucks to me is counter productive. -- I just don't want a long drive going and coming.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  4. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. The drive for me wouldn't be worth it for just a few bucks. There are 3 of us, so round trip from Dallas opposed to Austin for a $600 savings, I'll take it.

When is the SW anniversary sale?

5. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The late-night flights. to & from Austin, non-stop on Frontier, are about impossible to beat.
    Seriously - $148 round trip?
    The downside, of course, is getting in near midnight and leaving Vegas near midnight.
    If you're young - why not?
    Fly in...drink, party, gamble until check-in time the next day. Take a 3 hour nap & get right back to it!
    On your return day, arrange for a very-late check-out...try for 3 PM & nap until 2PM... check your stuff with the bellman... gamble for 8 hours & head to the airport.

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought they usually had a big sale sometime in the summer. I have been waiting for a good sale myself. Taking my sis for her first trip to Vegas Labor Day. We only decided to do this 3 weeks ago and the rates have been sky high. Running $504 rt pp...I am not paying that. The nonstop out of BDL....5.5 hours is long enough, not transferring it makes the flying time too long. I keep telling her we will book the flight when I get a sale for under $400 rt. Prices are all relative to what you are use to. I read other peoples rates and think, damn that's cheap! Anyone remember when the anniversary sale usually happens? I just remember that they normally have 2 big sales a year one in the summer and one around Christmas.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So? When is this Southwest Anniversary Sale? (Or have I been hiding under a rock?) :)

8. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year it was around June 4th -- I get antsy waiting but I think I can hold out and if no great sale I will just go ahead and purchase. I don't mind leaving late from Vegas but I do not want to take the red eye going.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  9. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anniversary/Birthday sale is usually end of May, first part of June....watching for a friend from Nashville to be able to book...over 200 each way right now...but in the past she has hit that sale and been able to book for 125-140 each way....this sale has not failed us in 4 yrs...LOL

10. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope they do it again, my 6/12 flight is double the usual price right now, but anniversary trip so not optional

11. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

When they have these sales do point redemptions come down as well?

12. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the past the rapid rewards points needed came down with the price.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  13. zignerlv

zignerlv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, Last year they didn't call it their anniversary or birthday sale, and it was a week or two earlier than in prior years. People were wondering if they should book a trip on that sale or wait for a possible better anniversary sale. It turned out there there was no better sale in the following weeks.

14. runningonthehub

runningonthehub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this will be the case this year. Southwest really has no reason to have an "anniversary" sale. I would not expect anything great price wise. Some routes may see savings, but the more popular ones will not. But, money saved is money saved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.