1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any ideas why Newark flights are so much cheaper?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Geogran, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Planning a family visit in October from Austin, Tx to eastern Pennsylvania. Looking at SWA's low fare calendar nonstop flights and looking at 3 airports. We find that Newark is almost 50% cheaper at most times of the year. We always rent a car so we can make side trips when visiting, so driving distances for these three airports are not a factor for us. We prefer NS flights.

We often fly into BWI since we like to stop in Gettysburg for a few days before heading on to see family but BWI has gotten a lot more expensive. Philly is closer to our family but there are NO nonstop flights, fewer flight options, and also more expensive. So we are considering Newark this time. It's been 12 plus years since we flew into Newark - I have read that security at this airport is lacking (many TSA failures in detecting contraband) and wondering if that is a factor?

Any information or ideas from those who fly out of EWR why Newark is so cheap from Austin compared to the other two?

AUS - EWR Newark $97 ($388 roundtrip for 2) - NS
    AUS - PHL Philly $180 ($675 roundtrip for 2 - (plane change)
    AUS - BWI Baltimore $180 ($715 roundtrip for 2 - (NS and plane change)

Thanks all.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because it's Newark, fugheddabowdit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am guessing supply and demand at work.

4. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha Ha - thanks for that spelling lesson - I never could figure out how that word was spelled...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Newark is United's hub. I can't believe it has anything to do with TSA's incompetency. It's a very busy airport. I just flew back from Italy in Newark last weekend. Living between Philly and Newark, I fly whoever is cheaper so I utilize both airports. Flying to San Diego much cheaper out of Philly than Newark.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EWR is a major airport, lotsa traffic in and out of there, with the economy of scale. I very much prefer LGA when I go to NYC but sometimes it's much cheaper at EWR so much that it makes the hassle of the trip to the city worth it.

Occasionally I have to go to the York, PA area, and it always seems that BWI is cheaper, for me that is, than PHL or ABE. Usually PHL is sky high!

Have you priced ABE? (Allentown) Sometimes the price is very decent, but it's those teeny toy planes most of the time.

7. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, in the old days I used to fly into ABE on occasion, but now pretty much locked into SWA and they don't have service to ABE. Plus can't get a nonstop from AUS to ABE on other airlines. Flew a prop into ABE one time - never again, lol!

Agree with you, dmr, we used to get cheap flights into BWI, but last couple of years haven't had much luck - could be the dates we travel aren't on sale. And, yes, PHL has always been higher for us too. For a short time, SWA had a NS into PHL from AUS, but no more.

Cheaper prices make EWR look like a good option this trip - so may give EWR another try.
    Thanks for your input!!

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The FAA eliminated slot controls in Newark which should mean more flights, but this doesn't take effect until October 30. It has been my experience that Philly is cheaper than Newark, but with the merger of AA and US Air, competition has been reduced. Fortunately, Spirit and Frontier have added flights and there is one direct flight to Austin on Frontier.

United Airlines operates codeshare flights to Philly, but the plane lands in Newark and passengers take an Amtrak train to Philadelphia, the station is ZFV.

9. Alexander

Alexander Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My educated guess why flying to Newark is cheaper is because Newark is such a non issue, hole in the wall place and is not a very popular place as say New York(true story, some little girl said that her Dad lived in Newark and I assumed since she was so young that she couldn't say New York properly. I was flabbergasted to learn that Newark is a real place that is not New York. ;)) ,Los Angeles, Chicago, Hollywood.

10. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in the minority, but I love Newark airport. I only fly out of JFK as a last resort. I flat out will not fly out of LaGuardia, which airline pilots describe as a "third world airport".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.