1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

any good "southern cooking" restaurants in vegas?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Bigben77, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigben77

Bigben77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any good southern cooking in vegas? Like a meat and three type place.

also maybe a good chicken and waffles place

Poker/Vegas fix
  2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried Ella Em's in North Las Vegas and really liked it. It's a small meat + three place with authentic southern dishes. It's down the street from the Cannery. Map it out if you decide to go because my GPS couldn't find it.

3. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps High-Roller

There are several that "southern themed" like Yard Bird in V/P. It's ok, not fantastic, but certainly not bad. Reasonably priced (at least for lunch) as far as V/P restaurants go. I've only been the one time. I'm not sure if its truly "southern" but it has a vegas-style take on southern dishes.

4. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a fellow Southerner Yardbird is the only place I have personally went that would get my vote.

Cosmo Christmas
  5. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $26 for half a fried chicken and $8 for fries... I was very underwhelmed -- especially for the price. To top it off, the tables are crammed very close together, so I felt as if I should be carrying on a conversation with the people at the table next to me as there was about 6" between our table and theirs.

Maybe I'm spoiled having lived on true Southern home cooking, but it was definitely a one and done for me.

Hash House a Go Go has a "southern" touch -- chicken and waffles, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but even they add some not so southern flare to their menu items.

6. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps High-Roller

Is that the price for lunch?? Holy Cannoli, I was either drunk or don't remember looking at theright menu.

I'm actually not a fan of hash house, I agree it has some southern touches, but the times I've been there I've left very underwhelmed. Maybe it was the amount of hype I'd heard before I went that I was expecting something better. I've also only eaten there at breakfast.

It does seem like when it comes to Vegas dining "southern cooking" is not well represented.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

YardBird was way underwhelming. I also can recognize bad sushi and bad pasta, even though I'm Dutch-Norwegian. lol

8. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup. That's what we paid for lunch. The fries (if I remember correctly) weren't even hand cut! They tasted like the same fries Wendy's uses, but maybe fatter...

9. davidcyndi

davidcyndi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    try getting on yelp and search "best southern food". There were a few hits that looked promising. You could always do hash house a go go and get the chicken and waffles.

10. Bigben77

Bigben77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    took your advice and yardbird is number 1, m+m soul food cafe is recommended too.

Poker/Vegas fix
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does a "meat and three" mean? I'm interested in Southern cooking and would like to know. I tried ham hocks and collard greens with white beans at the MSS buffet and want to try more authentic southern food.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  12. gegesmom

gegesmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A meat and three is one meat + three sides; most soul food or southern restaurants are meat and two, but occasionally you can still find the "meat and threes".

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    M&M Soul Food is well worth a visit when is Las Vegas. I've been to the original location out on W. Charleston several times, but they also have a newer location just north of Sahara on Las Vegas Blvd. across the street from the IHOP by the Strat.

14. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had EllaEm's on my radar for a couple of months and plan on trying it on our next trip. Here is a recent review:

http://endoedibles.com/?p=35460

15. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you. I want the meat + 3. Whatever the 3 are will be fine, I'm sure!

I also want to eat sweet potato pie.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  16. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Popeyes. They have a few on the strip.

17. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes - at the Showcase Mall (just North of MGM) and at Excalibur in the food court. Excellent fried chicken.

Bill

18. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't I hear there's a Cracker Barrel coming to Vegas? Nothing like a big bowl of chicken and dumplings, greens with pepper sauce, fried apples, and some sort of pea or bean. Of course with a side of cornbread!

Classic southern food is anything fried, mashed potatoes, candied yams or sweet potato casserole, any sort of slow cooked greens (collards or turnips), greasy Mac and cheese, and a fresh batch of Granny's cat head biscuits.

19. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get it.

You're from TN so can eat at great southern/BBQ places whenever you want.

Why would you want to go to an imitation southern place when you're in Vegas that you know is never going to be as good as the real deal?

That's like going to France and eating at the American food place.

20. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be fair and realistic what food you get at home can you not get in Vegas outside places like Robuchon, Savoy or the other highest end places? There are great steakhouses in most any big city, yet people flock to and fawn over a steak at STK they can very possibly get for far less at home, Tex Mex the same yet people flock to every Tex Mex place in town, Californians can get outstanding sushi all over the place yet again fill the sushi places and one could go on and on. So whats not to get?

Cosmo Christmas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.