1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any computer whizzes out there...help!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by weluvvegas, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an Acer Aspire that is about 2 yrs old and today when I turned it on the power light came on for a second then went out..did that twice then stayed on but all I have is a black screen. No acer startup logo..nothing.
    I hooked it up to an external monitor...still the same. I tried the battery trick I read about on Google and even tried to boot up via Bios on a flash drive...nothing.
    I'm trying not to have to take it to a shop but I might have to. Any advice? I have everything on that computer, I could just cry right now!

40th Birthday Bash!
  2. JoJoR

JoJoR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a motherboard issue. If it was a bad hard drive, you'd at least be able boot into BIOS. Good news is that your data should be fine.

3. weluvvegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So...what does something like that cost to fix usually?

40th Birthday Bash!
  4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the model number? The easiest way may be to buy a used replacement and transplant the HDD.

Laptop prices usually decrease in a hurry.

Repair costs are typically higher. $79+ for an estimate and then add on repair parts.

5. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could be a few things....like someone said provide the model number.....

Pull everything out ram CDROM battery and see if it will post...

6. weluvvegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pulled out the ram but too scared to take out anything else. It's an Acer V3-731. I'm ok with buying a new laptop, I just want the contents of my documents folder back!

40th Birthday Bash!
  7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A quick search of eBay shows:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-V3-731-V3-731G-V3-771-V3-7710-Motherboard-Flat-Rate-Repair-Service-/330940165323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0d922ccb

flat rate motherboard repair $109.95

"We repair ALL Models Motherboard issues. You need to ship your laptop to us for repair first. The repair service takes about 2 to 7 business days. However, some special issues may take a little bit longer than expected. If we cannot get your laptop fixed, you can either receive full refund plus our free return shipping, or you can pay extra for the replacement of your entire motherboard."

You might get better results locally. First you need to have it examined because we're only guessing it's the motherboard.

8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, make sure that it is plugged into an outlet and not running off the battery. Then try pressing the F2 button continuously when you turn it on to see if Bios will load up that way. If the screen stays black, then, most likely, the motherboard is probably dead, but the hard drive and data should be OK.

If that is the case, it may be more expensive to repair it than to just replace it outright. If you go this route, talk to the salesman about an enclosure for your existing hard drive (they may even have a service where they can pull your files off for you.) With the enclosure, you could then take the hard drive out of the bad laptop yourself, plug it into the enclosure, then plug it into your new laptop USB port and pull any files off of it that you wanted to keep.

9. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you turn the computer on does it make any beeps?

If there are beeps then you can search on the internet for "beep codes" and your computers make and model and that might help. One beep means "all good" which is why you always hear a beep when you turn your computer on and then after that there are certain beeps for bad motherboard, bad ram, bad hard drive, etc.

That you can't get in to the CMOS or boot using a flash drive means that there is probably something wrong with the motherboard, memory or power supply... but as mentioned it does mean that your hard drive is probably still good. If it was a hard drive problem (IE: bad boot sector, hard drive damaged) you could look on the net for something like "Ultimate Boot CD" and burn one of those and then use that to boot your computer up... but that still requires being able to get in to the CMOS and changing the boot sequence.

As far as getting it repaired: unless you have a warranty from where you bought it that includes free/discounted repairs or your computer is really high end it is often going to be cheaper to just buy a new one (and then you can transfer over the hard drive to the new computer) or the cost will be close to the same but you would end up with a newer and more powerful computer if you bought a new one - thats just how fast computer technology keeps changing, two years doesn't seem like a long time but thats just short of "forever" in computer terms.

If you do want to go the route of getting it repaired: the first place you should try is where you bought it and see if they will give you some cheap or free service. If not then you might check if you have any internet cafes in your area - they are often run by computer nerds who have nothing better to do than watch people log in all day so many will offer very cheap services for things like minor repairs, installing upgrades, backing up data, etc.

10. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some good advice above. Go to this webpage and let us know what your computer is doing or not doing: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysymptom/tp/computer-wont-turn-on.htm

From what you described, it sounds like #4 on the list. Computer has power but won't turn on.

Do you hear the fans and see lights but it's just the screen that's dead? Do your hear whirling and beeping? When you hooked up the external monitor, did you hit Fn and then the appropriate F key to get the laptop to show the screen on the external monitor?

The biggest thing to diagnose is your ears. Does it sound like it's booting up or does it sound dead inside? As mentioned above, the beeps are important.

11. donfairplay

donfairplay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    weluvvegas, diagnosing and repairing a motherboard or possibly the power brick on an old laptop will cost about as much as you can buy a new one. It doesn't sound like its the hard drive, but it could be.

If the hard drive is still good:
    I suggest getting a USB to SATA adapter. You'll need 2.5" inch SATA compatibility because you have a laptop hard drive. They're about $20. They should have external power bricks/adapters (small ones) to plug into a electrical socket, take out the old laptop drive completely and plug in the cable of the adapter's 2.5 inch SATA and then hook it up to the USB port of a working computer.

Here are USB to SATA adapters on Newegg: linkhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb+to+sata+adapter&N=-1&isNodeId=1. Amazon is also a good place for them.

If the hard drive is bad:
    Professional recovery places are out there, but it would probably be at least $500.

edit to add...
    Shock's suggestion of hooking up the old drive to a drive enclosure is also good (probably easier than a USB/SATA adapter dealio)

12. weluvvegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks you guys. All that made my head spin! I had someone look at it today and it is the motherboard. He is the husband of a friend who does that stuff for a living..so thankfully he will recover my hard drive for really cheap once my new laptop arrives.
    Yep, already ordered one. I feel lost without my computer....how sad!

40th Birthday Bash!
  13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you order a touchscreen laptop with Windows 8?

14. weluvvegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep...it's what comes with it. I ordered a dell. 8 GB RAM, 1TB hard drive (need that space for my slot videos )

My work laptop is an Acer touchscreen with windows 8. It works good but I don't use the touchscreen feature.

40th Birthday Bash!
  15. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WIndows 8 is just Win7 + a Metro screen for people who want it to behave like a WinPhone, hahaha.
    WinKey + D FTW!

Palace Tower Suite!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.