1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Bowlers out here?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Backagain1, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am new to bowling, have only been a few times recently and I love it. Want to get my own equipment.

Any tips or suggestions on the sport or the supplies?

2. npom

npom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say to start at the pro shop at your local bowling center.They should be able to help you with equipment choices. There may be a coach on staff that could help you too. My son coaches college bowling for a living and gets called quite often for private lessons.

3. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is great. I bet he loves it. I will go there this weekend. :wave:

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on a bowling league like 18 years ago. Carried a 160 average, I was AWESOME, not.

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Players in my league will bring 4-8 balls each night. You don't need but one or two until you average 180 to 190+. Concentrate on learning repeatability and accuracy. And learn to make your spares. Have fun!

6. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are only going to bowl at one center you don't need 8 different balls, one ball that you will throw 99% of the time, and a spare ball mostly for any corner pin spare(depending if you are a righty or lefty). Being a beginner you won't need to most expensive ball on the market, entry level ball($90/$125) will be fine and a cheap spare ball($50). Join a league...the only way to get better is with practice. A league will get you there every week. Summer leagues are just starting and they only last around 3 months. Winter leagues are much longer. You will probably want to get a few lessons to get the basics down but all in all...practice, practice, practice. You want the same release every time, you will learn the adjustments to make as you get better but your release should not change.

7. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Multiple bowling balls are for those who don't know how to alter their game and make adjustments.

If you lived close by I would be happy to head to the lanes with you. :thumbsup:

Take your time. Research and inquire about weight and grip.
    You don't want the lightest and probably don't want to start with the heaviest.
    With grip are you going full finger or finger tip.
    First visit or two to the pro shop should be with question. If the guy doesn't have much to offer try a different shop.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good source for equipment:

http://www.bowlingball.com/sale-products.php?gclid=CIHxlfbjxL4CFedFMgodUkYAJg

I don't know how they do it, but very competitive on ball prices, with free shipping.

I got bored with the 33 week leagues and retired about 10 years ago with a 185 avg. I never had more than one ball. My wife is still a very active bowler and has purchased a couple of balls from the above site.

9. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! So much advice, I appreciate everyone taking the time!

10. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck. It's a great feeling the first time you break 200, or shoot a 600 (or 700 or 800) series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.