1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ants

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Publius, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publius

Publius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So tonight I'm in my 2nd floor bedroom and I see a couple of ants crawling on the ceiling, they weren't forming a single line but were scattered. There is no food around so I don't know why they are invading. They are tiny black ants.:poke:

Anybody have any experience around here on taking out these little pests. I know its weird asking a forum about Vegas this question but I figured someone else has had this problem

2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They sound like Cirque de Soley ants!

Jimbo338

3. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dark black or light black?
    Usually the light black or brown ants are the "sugar" ants. There is a special chemical that is used for those.

If the darker black ants I would search the room for a food source.

4. crappie_man

crappie_man Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diatomatious Earth scattered around your foundation should work wonders. I use a ziplock bag with a couple of small holes punched in the corner as a "puffer". A little goes a long way and is inexpensive. It can be used indoors also. but leaves a dust so not as desirable.

5. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terro ant killer. It's a clear syrup in a small bottle, maybe 2 ounces. It comes in an orange box. You put it out for the ants to eat and take back to the colony and they all die eating the stuff. If you put it out at night, you will see a LOT of them in the morning but in a couple days they will be gone.

6. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't figure out how to post a link on my iPad ... Google "crazy ants" and the university of Nebraska - Lincoln.

They're spreading around the country & super hard to get rid of- if these ants are what you have you'd want to know

7. Laura_W

Laura_W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Borax is also a good ant killer. I mixed it with a sugar water and put it in a bowl by where I saw them. They ate it and took it home to their colony and finally died off! Just be careful with the borax if you have pets, as too much can be toxic to them.

8. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have terrible ant problems, and if I don't get at them in the spring, I battle them all summer long. If they're coming out of the ceiling, they're inside the structure of your house, and your best bet is to find something they will take back home to the nest. You can spray them all summer long, and it will come to nothing.
    Living in a dry climate, I've come to rely on a two fold system.
    1. Granules all around the foundation of the house.
    2. Find out where they're going , and put some liquid bait in their way. Ando, Terro and Hot Shot liquid baits all work. Ants need water, as much as food and will be attracted to this. Now this is the important part. Don't spray the ant's! You have to have some live ones bring the stuff back to the nest.

I've also heard that mixing peanut butter and jelly with borax does the trick. Ant's are either attracted to fats or sugar. This makes sure you're covering both types.

If you have pets, be carefull of placement. Most packaged ant baits are fairly safe and self contained, but pets seem to get into anything they can.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  9. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't say enough good about this product. It'll wipe out the entire colony. Sometimes ants may come again but it's another colony and when their gone too its peace for a long time. I used to have ants every year and now nadda for the last couple of years.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First LOOK for WATER....they are attracted to water and you might have a roof leak you are not aware of...this is a much more serious problem then the ants right now...

Second the best thing I have ever used is Ortho Home Defense...a one gallon jug with built in sprayer will set you back under $10.....can be purchased at any Home Depot or other hardware stores. This stuff is incredible against ants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.