1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Answer for People Who Question Going Repeatedly to Las Vegas...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Texas Gramma, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just came across this in Las Vegas Advisor's Jeanne Scott's Frugal Vegas column.

"You will notice that the last chapter in my 'The Frugal Gambler' is titled “Breaking Even is a Terrific Thing.” Here is an excerpt from that chapter:

If someone told you that you could take the kind of vacation described in this book and you could do it all for free, would you also insist that you had to make some money while you were at it? Take home a profit from a free trip to paradise? Maybe... but that sounds a little greedy to us.

2. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing I notice about people who comment on repeated vegas visits( "weren't you just there? Dont you ever go anywhere else?, etc) is that they usually dont go anywhere themselves. I always ask them where they are going on their next vacation? they usually say nowhere or "the cabin", I'll ask why they dont go to hawaii or the carribean, that usually is enough to change the subject.:thumbsup:

3. wbk1711

wbk1711 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been asked this question many times. My answer is all about affordability. No where else we visit offers free hotel and food.

We had a wedding in New York this summer and it killed me to pay $200 a night for a mediocre hotel room and $15 for eggs and toast for breakfast. :(

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    careful, not everyone gets free hotel and free food in Vegas

this is another very subjective topic...

5. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't agree more. Some people I just lie to if I didn't turn a profit on the trip. Because five days of top notch vacation where I spent a total of $200 is answered with a look of pity. Sigh.

6. imwired

imwired Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, Kinda free :peace:

7. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Jean and others...
    I can't go anywhere else, for "free" (meaning playing 99%+ video poker, and using the freebies to mooch off the system)

Palace Tower Suite!
  8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why defend your choice at all?

A simple, "It's what I choose to do," is all one need say in response to such queries. There's no requirement we justify what we choose to do with our money and time. If that frustrates others - so be it.

Bill

9. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

"...careful, not everyone gets free hotel and free food in Vegas...this is another very subjective topic... "

Hotel rooms are a bargain in Las Vegas, so long as you're careful in choosing when to visit. I don't play enough to get much free food, but the food I buy costs no more than it would at home. That is factual, not subjective.

As for people who want to live their life and yours, ask them where they think you ought to go on your next vacation. If they give you an actual answer, say it sounds like fun and ask them when the check will arrive so you can make plans.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you're borrowing/asking for money for gas and groceries and whatever else and complaining about being broke all the time, it's nobody's business what you do.

11. Frankr163

Frankr163 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AMEN!!!
    Couldn't state it any better.

12. vegasglenn

vegasglenn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone knows it is a cheap vacation and I really enjoy it.
    Free rooms, comped food and cheap flights.
    gamble wisely and I bring a good share of my money back home for the next trip. Once in a while I'll even come out ahead.

13. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always just ask them what other destination can you go to where you have the chance to make $$?
    Does Disney refund you comps on X amount of visits,hats for the kids,rides?
    Cmon..

14. Wanger1969

Wanger1969 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get asked this ALL the time. Its my vacation and my money, so I go where I enjoy going. That means Vegas. Every trip is a new adventure.

15. imwired

imwired Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one says this to us. I guess we have big enough boundaries with our friends and family. They make think it but they don't say anything.

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favourite is when the people who say this go to the same spot over and over for vacation. Like Cuba in winter and the cottage in summer. Same resort in Cuba year after year. Same cottage that's been in the family for 4 generations. And then I really love it when they talk about how bad the food in Cuba was at their resort and how they eat hot dogs all week at the cottage. Yeah...I'm sorry I didn't hear that last part...I was having a mild heart attack from all the prime rib I ate in Vegas.

17. NickyDim

NickyDim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lets just compare for fun Vegas to the Caribbean or Hawaii

Free rooms, cheap/free meals, 1/2 price coupons to eat, free play. (Caribbean or Hawaiian will cost you $300+ daily for eat and stay)

Hundreds and HUNDRED of Shows/entertainment options, thousands restaurants (Caribbean or Hawaiian resort gets you 5 overpriced restaurants and the local talent show)

They'll tell you the beaches are beautiful, I'll tell them the pools are nice, the women are goregeous, and the gaming action is nonstop. You don't need SPF 50 when playing Let it ride.

They'll say they went windsurfing or snorkeling, I tell them I went on a helicopter ride over the strip at night or down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and tomorrow I'm taking a ballon ride, or driving a race car at 120mph.

They will say look at those sunsets, I'll say look at those beautiful 10,000 ft mountains or a canyon so red it will hurt your eyes.

They will say the weather, I'll say the weather, but without afternoon thundershowers.

They will tell you of the exotic drinks with umbrellas they had, and I'll tell them I can't remember because I drank so much of that free booze.

They will say it cost me and my wife $5000 for 5 days with airfare, and I'll say the airfare was $600, but I came home with $500 more than I left with.

I can go on and on and on as everyone here knows. There is no comparison as to what's the better value, better entertainment, better food, better excitement. Life is short, why not spend it the best possible way, over and over again.

18. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL - apples and oranges and a matter of setting expectations. I love Vegas with my buddies, it's cheap and somewhere you can get away for 203 days.

Hawaii is awesome, unlike any other place I've been, but we ran up a $300 bar tab before we even got in our room! My buddy and I each ordered a qasadilla and a beer and the bill was $50! Still, no bugs, perfect weather, awesome.

19. Grid

Grid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly this! I tell people I used to go to Disneyworld every summer instead and not once did the mouse comp me anything. Disney for the fam ends up being over $2K. I go to Vegas and stay in a suite (for free) eat my meals (for free) and see shows (for free) and I usually end up dumping a grand in gaming. Thats a bargain when you think about it! And sometimes I actually get all that free stuff and I go home with their money as well!

20. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one asks me because they know I will tell them to "F" off....:evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.