1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another way to tell you're getting older ...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

... you email the Christmas menus to the family and you get back an encyclopedic listing of ailments and infirmities as so-and-so can't eat this because of that and that-one-there can't have that because of this.

Hmm.

Prunes and cottage cheese, it is! :evillaugh

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my reply would be "more booze for me and less for you!, oh and we're having White Castle cater our Yule fest DEAL WITH IT!"

3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that's funny!

4. queuetee

queuetee High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was emailing the menu where you went wrong. You are invited...can you come....great...we don't really need anything, but a bottle of wine or some of those great nuts/chocolates from XYZ store would be nice. See you then.

5. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May I add another "You know you're getting older when..."

...someone asks you how old you are and you have to do the math to answer them.

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! How true! "How old am I you say? Lets see, I was born in 1956......ummm...."

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  7. ken2v

Indeed. Thankfully I was born in an easy 0-ending year so I eventually can get the math figured out.

My other thing is knowing what day of the week it is, or rather not knowing.

As for the eat-what-you-get matter: We do try to see to health-related concerns. But if someone simply just won't eat something, we figure they're an adult and they can find a way around our offerings or buck up and actually try to expand their horizons.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have to agree 100%. I've never been invited for a holiday dinner that didn't have choices. If they can't eat the main course, eat just the sides and drink.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not the older folks (like my age) who have given our extended family some issues when planning a dinner. It's things like 20-something newly-professed vegans who can't seem to find ANYTHING to their liking and then there are a few plain old fussy eaters.

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I hear you on that one.

Bill

11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are certain foods the doc advises me to stay away from, but when I get invited to dinner parties I just eat in moderation the ones that I'm "not supposed to eat".

What the hell, cheating once in a while won't hurt, at least that's how I see it. Even the doc acknowledges that during the holidays blood sugars will spike more often and cholesterol levels will be a little elevated.

I never tell the hosts that I can't have this and I can't have that. It will make them feel bad or obligated and I think nothing good will come out of it. I'm just thankful they invited me!

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  12. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you're deathly allergic to something, I feel you should be as polite as the host who sent out the menu. Don't mention it and just don't eat what you don't want. It's enough work arranging a party without dealing with multiple wishes/demands. I was a vegetarian for several years. I ate what I was served or just chose other alternatives. Since I'm still alive and healthy, getting through a few parties and being polite wasn't that big of a deal.

13. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a bunch of whiners. What do they think you are the Rio Buffet? I would add a note at the bottom ,those who have dietary restrictions bring your own food. Besides the usual shrimp and other appys ,Mrs JG puts out a baked ham and several Polish and Italian dishes,nobody ever complained.

14. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^^This^^^. It is incredibly rude and entitled to expect a host to accommodate every dietary preference of every guest.

15. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We put out a full turkey dinner, with all the trimmings .... stuffing, two types of potatoes, gravy, two vegetable choices, and a mixed salad.

Eat or go hungry .....

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It pisses me off when someone wants a gluten-free meal.

17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, and I always work backwards from an event to find out how long ago it was in terms of history.

For example, I graduated from high school in 1966, which is 48 years ago. 48 years before that, World War I was being fought, so that is the time between now and high school, which makes it seem like a long time ago.

18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm afraid this is me right now. I'm on a really restricted diet. I'm sugar free, gluten free, grain free, and processed food free. I'm trying to only eat whole, low GI foods right now. Not really party food material. :)

I went to a birthday party for a friend and I ate something before we left because I knew it was going to be a junk food fest. And it was. Later in that evening, I was rolling a meatball on a cocktail napkin to get all the sauce off it. LOL. But I didn't say anything to the hosts for sure! I'm the one with the goofy diet, I could have brought a dish if I was worried about it.

I have a vegan friend who is really great about it. She will ask if something contains meat or dairy and just passes it over. She almost always brings a dish and doesn't have an issue with the rest of us being elbow deep in BBQ. Ideal guest, IMO. That's what I try to be.

19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do those potatoes have milk or butter in them?
    Does that broccoli have butter on it or is it oleo?
    Does that cake have milk or eggs in it?

Annoying, isn't it?

20. ken2v

As hosts we don't mind flexibility in the planning process, particularly when it is a small group. I don't see that as a problem whatsoever. Now for our annual shrimp boil, it is what it is, and it is obvious when the invites go out. But something like this, we are cool with tossing something else into the mix. Seems to be a lot of hostility in this thread.

Here are our "rules": If we ask, we are genuinely interested. We might not be able to make some changes but we will try to accommodate health needs; if you're simply of the ilk you won't eat anything that had a face, bring carrots. If a person shows up, surveys the scene and cops an attitude, that person is a boor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.