1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another SWA sale, another joke!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why I even look at these SWA emails about sales. Today I got one promoting the $69 fares for travel through Oct. I know better, but went and looked. For our Oct Vegas trip, which is already booked, the "sale" price was $12pp higher each way. $48 dollars more. :nono:

Oh, it is $69 if I want to fly from Milwaukee to Kansas City.:evillaugh

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    {twirling index finger} ...

3. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The same here. We have been looking for the past four months for June travel. The 69 dollar fare never did apply for Tulsa, where my daughter lives. The fare has gone up. She decided last week to buy the tickets and get credited if the fares are lowered.

4. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe I feel your pain. Only time I ever look at swa.com is on Tuesdays.:thumbsdown:

5. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying out of Midway, I don't think Southwest is a low cost, budget airline any more. They have a monopoly and they take advantage of it.
    I guess it is just that I am not used to seeing the type of high airfares that I am seeing now.
    It has certainly caused me to change my travel plans. For the first time since 1995, I will not be going to Vegas in May. Being retired and on a tight budget, I really cannot afford Southwest"s prices anymore.
    It all means a lot fewer trips to Las Vegas in my future.

6. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [QUOTE Today I got one promoting the $69 fares for travel through Oct.[/QUOTE]

Ha! add a zero to that and that still doesnt get me a return ticket :grrr:

7. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Today IS Tuesday........

8. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's when they used to put out there lowest fares.:thumbsdown: Not today!

9. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Potawatomi.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, the only place I gamble is Vegas, except for on-line NFL bets.

We haven't stepped foot in Potawatomi in about 8 years, even though it is only about 20 miles away. We just don't like the feel of the place.

11. boogaloobboy

boogaloobboy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First of all I still don't get all the buzz about "tuesday fares" on SWA. I have checked ticket prices religiously 3 days a week for two months and they NEVER change from Birmingham to Vegas. A flight that was 199 always and frequently 149 a year ago is now 248 a leg at minimum. It NEVER changes.

The consolidation of all the carriers is raping the customer. It is getting extremely hard to justify Vegas trips when it costs a Grand to fly out there with my wife, considering we can do 4 days in a luxury all inclusive Cancun resort for the same cost. And oh yeah thats flight/room/food/booze included, take 100 in one dollar bills and your set. I went to vegas 6 times in 2011 and 8 in 2012. I'm looking at once this year, and it may be my last trip due to the ridiculous cost of flights. My vacation dollars just go so much further at other locals.:thumbsdown:

12. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of Albany NY and while I realize the days of the $99 flights are gone forever, in the last 2 years the normal price has gone from $149, $169, $189, $199 and now it is $229. From 2005 - 2011 I made 5 trips a year to Las Vegas. In 2012 I did 4 trips and 2013 I was down to 3 trips. This year I did a trip for Super Bowl weekend and I have a trip scheduled for July.
    While there are other reasons (expensive food, poor service), the main reason is the airfare price increases and airport hassles.
    I can drive to Atlantic City in 4 hours, get free rooms during mid-week, enjoy the ocean during the summer months and I have found customer service to be better.
    While AC lacks the entertainment and glitz that Las Vegas has, it more than satisifes my gaming itch I get every few months.

13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I paid $412 round trip last April, checked frequently and it never changed from when we booked to when we flew. Same thing in October, $412 and it never changed. For our upcoming trip on Sunday we booked in January and it was $412. But then it changed. Went down about $75 each. So it always pays to keep on checking.

14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, we can all face it: any flight going into and out of LAS is going to cost you. Gone are the SW days of $99, $119, $139 (one way) fares.

Heck, any carrier is going to cost you in and out of LAS.

I've just resigned myself to the old adage: it is what it is. So I pay the $179, $189 and $194 (one way) fares. Those fares won't stop me from going to Vegas, though.

Oh and remember DING! ? Hah! I uninstalled that thing 3 years ago.

15. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas flights are always full (for me anyway), they have no reason to reduce/discount fares. Oh well at least bags fly free (insert ex wife joke). :)

16. harry47

harry47 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am within twenty miles of two riverboats in Joliet but have no desire to play there. They just don't have that Las Vegas ambiance.

17. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

As an avid follower of SWA fares for past 20 years, I've resigned myself to the fact the party is over and its been over for at least a couple years or better. Instead of mourning the loss of $79 one-way flts out of Midway, I am grateful it lasted as long as it did.

18. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes, the SWA sale is legit (twice a year) for the Florida area. Most of the time, it is just a miss spelling.

Instead of SWA announcing another lame sale, it is a typo (should be spelled "SELL" instead of "Sale").

19. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Feb Spirit had MSP to LAS for $29.99 each way. That was total, including taxes for less than $60. Like Spirit or not, they get you there.

20. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Midway

I was surprised by this so I checked American cost $620 1 checked bag price and SWA $580 2 checked. For same dates SWA Milwaukee departure was around $480. Since SWA has gained a near monopoly in Milwaukee I guess we can see where this is going.

I guess I'll keep doing the 1,800 mile drive. :cry:

TomTWI

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.