1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another Mohegan Sun trip

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by dewey089, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I had a grand time for two days and a half days. Then things turned sour. Perhaps I got a little sour. Anyway, it ended up putting a sour note on an otherwise fine trip. I'm trying to distance myself from that. Part of it was losing $640, most of it the last day. Part of it was a dealer error. Part of it was knowing that losing meant no going again until next year because I need to protect my Vegas bankroll with 50 nights there in the fall.
    I don't know.
    Highlights included a visit to East Hartford Pho restaurant recommended in Westie's reviews.
    Then I found the VP that IPRugrat told me about. So thanks for that. Great machines. Is don't think what is earned on them will help with the buffet, but I only ate one buffet and that cost less than $5, so I don't need more than I'm earning.
    I encountered my worst hand ever at one of those machines.
    Dealt A-K-Q of diamonds with a Qclub, I held the high pair. You know what the first two cards were. 10-J of diamonds.

The folks at tables were pleasant and funny and great to meet and banter with, except for the last players at my last table. I should have left earlier. And again, it was probably my own disappointments.
    Anyway, if you want more details, especially the good ones, they are here:
    http://foxwoodspokertr.blogspot.com/2015/07/mohegan-sun.html

2. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report as usual Dewey. Sorry you got skunked the last day. I hate those VP plays where proper strategy doesn't always work. When are you going to Vegas in the fall? I will be there in mid November. :wave:hi

3. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be there Halloween until Nov 20th.
    Thanks for reading.

4. zignerlv

zignerlv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me make you feel better about your missed royal flush. VP machines today do not select the cards for the redraw until the deal button is hit. Now, the time it takes you to hold the two queens is different than the time it takes you to hold 3 to a royal. It may only be 1/4 second different, depending on how long it takes to press the buttons, but it will be different. In that 1/4 second, the machine is virtually shuffling the cards thousands of times a second. So, if you took the extra split second to hold the 3 to a royal on that hand, you very likely would not have been dealt the 2 cards needed to complete the royal.

With that being said, there will be times when you would have hit a royal if you held the 3 to a royal instead of a pair. But the odds say hold the pair (in the game type you were playing) and that's helps your bankroll the most in the long run.

In table poker, I am sure there are times you fold a bad hand in early position if there is a raise in front of you, only to find that the flop was so perfect for you, that you would have won a big pot had you called. Still the proper play, long term, was to fold the hand. Same here with VP. Play it the best way in the long run.

5. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely!! I had been confused and thought the next two cards would be the same. They would not.
    That will make it easier to play the correct strategy all the time.
    I had been thinking that as well as seeing the missed royal, I might well see a missed quad eventually were I to gamble in a riskier way and not follow correct strategy.
    I'll remember that the cards that show after draw depend on the RNG.
    Thanks. Very helpful.

And certainly in table poker it happens very often that folded cards would have won a pot, only in that game whether we have folded or not does not alter what flops, turns and rivers, so misses are more annoying.

My most annoying hand in live poker was at the Imperial Palace. My quad jacks were beat by a straight flush. There was no bad beat. I got $50 for the quads. Had I had the same cards and experience a week before at Foxwoods, my hand would have been worth $180,000. The dealer was also saddened. He would have had a fine hefty tip.

That may well happen to me again because I tend to play at the Golden Nugget where there is no bad beat, just progressive high hand awards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.