1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anniversary Dinner - Bellagio

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by FlyoverFi, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyoverFi

FlyoverFi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I are going to Las Vegas for our fifth anniversary next month. I have made reservations at Prime for dinner on our actual anniversary, but now I'm beginning to wonder if we should try somewhere else. I'd really like a view of the Bellagio fountains, and I've read up and become intrigued about Scarpetta at the Cosmopolitan, which also seems to have views of the fountains. If you had to choose among the following, which would it be and why?

Prime

Scarpetta

Le Cirque

Somewhere else? (Twist?)

We'll be staying at the Mandarin Oriental, so I'd rather stay around Center Strip.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fi

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never miss Le Cirque at table 90 when I'm in town. but Prime is an equally great choice if you get a table next to the windows. just depends on what kind of food you like. if you like the French degustation menu kind of thing, Le Cirque can't be beat. if you just want a great steak, Prime is better.

3. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't really go wrong with any of those. One other idea to add to the mix, however, would be the Eifel Tower restaurant. Ate there once a few years ago. Excellent food and a great, elevated view of the fountains.

4. john1516inny

john1516inny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eiffel tower restaurant

Yu should try the Eiffel Tower, food is great, view is amazing. Ask for Allyson and you will have a great night. Use open table for reservations

5. AusTex11

AusTex11 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at Mandarin on my last trip, and while it's certainly got less riff raff going on, I'm not sure I'd peg it as being romantic. Twist is a hard call to make, since it really does seem to be a love it or hate it kind of place being rather molecular in it's French offerings. The view will be nice, but for a special occasion, I'd be afraid to risk having a meal that doesn't win me over by being overly complicated.

Le Cirque certainly wins over in atmosphere, especially if you can get a table next to the windows. It's VERY intimate here, and has a great vibe for couples. The staff here is also just absolutely awesome, and it's what sticks out the most to me going so far as to even outshine the actual meal. They've retained most of their staff since day 1, and their experience shows. Our server was Martin, and if you can have him that night, do it - best guy there. That said, definitely take a look at the menu. I'd come back here in a heartbeat just for dessert, but as for the overall meal, it was on par for it's level, but nothing I'd plan to come back for. It has romantic written all over it though. I myself actually took shifter's advice and asked for table 90 when I went. I'd have to disagree with him for French degustation though. If you want that quintessential experience, look to Joel Robuchon's restaurant at MGM Grand. His smaller L'atelier was amazing, but it might not have the vibe you're looking for. Stick with his namesake, 3 Michelin next door if you really want to splurge on an experience centered on food.

Prime just about clinches how Bellagio has it down for atmosphere, because again, this place made for a very memorable meal. If you're celebrating such a special occasion, you should absolutely try and get a table al fresco fountainside. It'll make for a meal you'll never forget as you sit for a very hearty menu while watching the lights of the Strip go on and the fountains go off every 15 minutes. Don't worry if it's hot, you're close enough to get a light misting from the water cannons as the fountain shows go off. It's hard to complain about their food too, and as far as steaks go, I found their offering to be better than most of my cuts while doing a tasting at Wolfgang's CUT. It's definitely a steakhouse with nice, hearty cuts and sides that are just as heavy - something went wrong if you leave here hungry. I'm making plans to head here and dine out on the patio for my own anniversary in September, so I may be a bit biased ;)

6. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not trying to be a jerk, but what does that mean?? Truly, I enjoyed your reviews, but that adjective lost me :confused2:

7. AusTex11

AusTex11 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, I don't think you sound like a jerk at all, UKFanatic! I honestly took time to submit my post, because I thought I sounded absolutely foodie and pretentious, which I really hope I'm not that bad. I just watch A LOT of Top Chef :rolleyes2: I booked my dinner at Prime, because in the end for me, nothing beats meat, potatoes and beer :beer:

Anyway, I was trying to say how most people are pretty polar about this place, since their food can be pretty different and unexpected. Twist is appropriately named because of how their "molecular" style puts a twist on familiar French food. I throw that term out since it's being used to describe a trend in cooking where familiar food is served in unexpected and untraditional ways. Twist, for example, has wasabi ice cream, and they go on to serve it with a main course rather than for dessert. Another Vegas restaurant with this style is é by José Andrés at Cosmopolitan. They serve things like a liquid olive and honey air infused oysters. If molecular as a term sounds weird, it's pretty much because it is :evillaugh Not really my thing, but I'm sure it makes for a fun and interesting dinner.

8. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool. I'm form the south. We're not that fancy. Our food is fried and the molecular food is deep fried

9. FlyoverFi

FlyoverFi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, this is *really* helpful. I think I'm going to stick with Prime. I'm a little more adventurous in my dining than my husband, and I don't think Twist would really be his thing. I think he'll be very happy with a nice steak dinner rather than experiencing the cutting edge of molecular gastronomy :)

As for the Mandarin, I've spent a lot of time in Asia, and I've never had the chance to stay at a Mandarin hotel (although I've had high tea at the original hotel in Bangkok), so I decided to splurge when I got a good rate online. I was toying between that and the Four Seasons, but the mid-Strip location for the MOLV won me over.

Thanks again for all the replies - I LOVE this board. So helpful!

10. valsdad

valsdad Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You made a great choice of hotels by staying at the Mandarin. I would suggest contacting the concierge and letting them know your stay is for your anniversary and discuss restaurants with them. They are among the best in town. Have a great trip.

11. dernsky

dernsky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    did prime in june for my 50 b-day dinner, it was fantastic!!!!! we were sat outside overlooking the fountains. it was worth every pennie.about $350 for 3 of us.

12. AusTex11

AusTex11 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely slipped my mind the first time, but valsdad has it right! Definitely get in touch with MO's concierge, and they'll set everything up to a tee and even help to guarantee that patio seating at Prime. If there's one thing the MO did for me that really made my trip much easier to plan it was coordinate all my dinner plans down pat to seating preference and time (even if OpenTable showed otherwise).

13. FlyoverFi

FlyoverFi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear such a positive review. I did have the MO concierge make the reservation at Prime for us and explained that it was for our anniversary and that we really wanted a nice table with a fountain view, so hopefully it works out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.