1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anesthesia Question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had my 5 year colonoscopy yesterday. As usual, the knockout was delivered with the young lady delivering a cute line. This time it was "Party time, 1999". I said, "Boy Howdy, Joy Juice". Then "This is quick", buzzed like crazy for about 2 seconds and then waking up in recovery about 1 second later, even though the procedure took about an hour or so.

I asked her what was in the Joy Juice and she refused to answer. Before, they always said beforehand, this is Demerol and Morphine. She never said that, but before (4 times so I know what I'm talking about) I lasted maybe 10 seconds before blackout.

Can anyone answer this?:faint:

2. bubbamsu

bubbamsu Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It could be a few things, Demerol, versed, propofol, etc.... too hard to tell, doctors have a specific anesthetic or combination that they like to use and there are a lot of different things to use on the market.

Ask the doctor next time you see him/her. The nurse probably did not know or the hospital has a policy of nurses/techs not saying anything specific, CYA(Cover Your ASS).

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No clue. I had my 3rd colonoscopy earlier this year but never asked. She just said here we go and then it was bingo, lights out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude, I don't know. But, out of all the anesthetics...I've had, it's my favourite. I tend to stay semi-awake through them though. I stare at the tv screen and ask questions like a drunk. Here's an excerpt from my first one; What's that? (answer) No way! Seriously? (squirrel nap) What's that? (answer) No way! Get outta here! (squirrel nap) What's that? (answer) OMG, that's my insides? Wow! (squirrel nap).... It went on like that until he said it was naptime and put the rest of the plunger of anesthetic in me. And then I woke up in recovery.

5. floridavegas

floridavegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GI docs are typically using MAC (monitored anesthesia care) - they are moving away from Versed, Demerol due to the fact that people are more restless and don't want to remember anything.. Propofol is currently used in our surgery center and in most in our area.
    You can call the outpatient center where your procedure was done and the anesthesiologist can tell you what was used or when the nurse calls you back regarding any biopsies (if you are on the 5 year plan I am assuming biopsies were taken) she can also tell you as it is documented.

6. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have avoided full anaesthesia 3 times luckily.

Scoped knee for cartilage (got a local, was woozy and watched a monitor).

ACL replacement in knee (got an epidural, completely awake, cracking jokes, and watching a monitor)

2 regular and 2 impacted wisdom teeth pulled (got a local, woozy and could hear the crunching and cracking)

Does a colonoscopy require full anaesthesia? I have quite awhile before I get the recommended screening for it.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You, as a patient, have the right to know what is given to you! Period! The drugs/dosage will be on your chart. Phone the physician's office. If they balk it's time to find another doctor!

8. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had my first colonoscopy a couple months ago. The doc told me they only use propofol because it acts so quickly but wears off quickly as well. I stayed awake approximately a millionth of a second once she said this might sting. Next thing I know I am in the recovery room listening to Barry White with a glass of chardonney looking into the doctors eyes....:eek::wink2:

9. ttom

ttom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you had an anesthesiologist or CRNA then it was likely Diprivan - propofol; if not it was likely Fentanyl and Versed - they will give you more squirts if you become too much of a pain in the arse

10. win4me

win4me Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG! Huddler you are too funny!

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No it's not a full anesthesia (general) for the colonoscopy.

12. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive had 4 of these and they never put me out. Just slightly woozy and staring at the screen watching the camera travel up my colon lol.

13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah but everybody is different. For some people those drugs are enough to put you into solid naptime for a good hour or so. I could hear the guy in the next exam room snoring.

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great! I never want to go under!

I had to request locals and the epidural before.

It was weird being paralyzed from the waist down and feeling like my leg was still on the bed even when it was lifted.

15. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats for sure. I have some weird kind of immunity to some some of these drugs. When I had my stent put in, they kept giving me more and more and more. Finally the anethesiologist said that he had never given that much to anyone without them going to sleep. I was still fully awake and coherent. With my colonoscopy, they have always used Versed. My doctor told me that they use it because it causes amnesia, so that you do not remember anything, even though you are usually still awake.

16. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto on what my doc said re: versed - amnesiac. They want you to be loopy and able to follow some commands as needed, but then you forget everything. At least that was my experience:peace:

17. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you wake up and are alert and not fighting to stay awake it was Propofol.

18. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or as my doctor quipped "Michael Jackson Juice". The docs love it, when they want you out, they turn it on. When they want you up, they turn it off. I've had it many times with many surgeries and have yet to wake up groggy, foggy or with a head or stomach ache.

I do get a great nap with it!!

19. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I had my knee replaced I had a epidural block. They used versed to put me out and I guess to keep me out. I was awake and they said I was "chatty" during the procedure. I did not remember any of it, after surgery I was awake but could only remember the events that happened when friends and family were making fun of me for the things I did..:faint:

First Trip 2017
  20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I've had 3 colonoscopy and been totally out. No memory of anything except waking up in recovery.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.