1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

And why did they even allow 17 other players into the event?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I mean, seriously, Tiger is back, why do we need this window dressing?

2. scohitch

scohitch Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta hope he's back in form. Now that he has some competition, it would be nice to see him challenge again. Like to see him drop everything above a two iron. He'd have beat Jack by now if he'd done that years ago.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a swing mechanic but I've read others that say that the 2iron stinger is very stressful to the back and could be what has caused him injuries. On the other hand, I'd be pretty close to scratch if I could hit that stinger off every tee.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tiger who?

5. ken2v

:beer:

I admire the guy's tenacity. The first big change through Haney's made sense even while you ask what was wrong remotely with 2000. Now the Foley thing was in no way supportive of his health needs when he needed it most, so that had to go. There's no quit in this guy. Faldo only did it once and that transition took some time. Padraig? Not such a good idea. Fowler? Looking like a very good idea. But all those were only once. Amazing.

There's a lot of chatter out there using mid-late 20th century overlays showing what Tiger should have been doing to avoid the troubles. That's bull. No one can or would swing modern equipment like the stuff that was in bags even into the '90s.

6. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm probably premature (as usual), but through 10 holes Tiger is +5 and in last place, 10 strokes behind current leader Jordan Spieth. And, remember this is Tiger's own tournament on his long-time home course, Isleworth.

I wonder if he had a roll with the Perkins waitress last night.

7. ken2v

Dang, I don't even have it on, but sounds like a look-see is required.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as one should expect with how little he's played.

this event is meaningless.

the real teller will be April at the Masters.

if he's in contention even if he doesn't win, maybe he's got a chance to do something.

if he bombs there with or without more injuries, he's done.

9. RAWDAWG33

RAWDAWG33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me state what I am enjoying about tis event. Jordan MFing Spieth. Man I love watching this kid succeed. Anyone else?

10. ken2v

Wow, back-to-back chili dips. As shifter says, we can't draw conclusions from this other than he needs more reps and more time. I wonder if he might up his sparse appearances during the west coast swing?

It was cool to see Spieth win last week. His demeanor is commendable.

What I'd like to see/hear/read is: nothing. Can we let a young guy win a tourney without running him up the Tiger-replacement/best-(pick nationality) flagpole? Read something just yesterday at how Koepka is one of the best hot America's now. OK. He won in Turkey, grabbed a bunch of mini-tour events before, but please ... Just let him play.

And then last year, when we had a young guy who did put in a good run, he was pilloried because he spoke his mind about his position in the game. Moxie is good.

11. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tiger's back, right where he was when he left, the question is will he pull out of this tourney with another fake injury? Seriously, there is no cut right, is tiger gonna hang in there and finish 40 back?

12. PayTriple

PayTriple The Cucumber King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you know his injury when he pulled out in the past was faked? Do you have facts or are you just speculating?

13. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:

The problem is that golf needs a tiger like figure to draw in the ratings, that is why there is a rush to find the next "Tiger".

As to the last point I am not sure about your reference but I think golf needs eccentric personalities. The problem is a lot of the established golf fans get mad at it. You see it in hockey too.

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  14. ken2v

I agree, and it certainly isn't simply the golf media and the golf-consuming public as it runs across all sports and then culture and society and over to politics; how often do the "news" weeklies/monthlies parade out a new "savior for the GOP" or the "rightful heir to the Tea Party mantle," and we swap out hottest chef and up-and-coming star with the rapidity of a cat licking itself.

But sometimes you just gotta let it happen even if it can't happen. There won't be another Tiger for a very long time, likely not generations. Arnie and Tiger are separated by 50 years, and while the best player (still) is aged between them and certainly moved the needle, Jack was neither Arnie nor Tiger when it came to exploding the game (in relative terms in keeping with their respective time periods). Rory is an awesome talent, and he already far exceeds Tiger on the PR and interaction scale, but even if he pulls off a Rory Slam and wins 10 overall in a year, he won't move the needle like Tiger.

Tiger and his timing were a perfect storm: Unparalleled ability, a soon-to-totally-explode revolution in equipment and how the game is played (and who would play it), and an orgy of new forms of media and information distribution. It wasn't a race thing; a non-issue poorly exploited by the Tiger Camp and horridly handled -- still -- by the media. It wasn't him vs. the establishment. It was simply the most-skilled person at his craft coming of age on a stage of never-before-seen dimension.

Your establishment comment is apt. The tour has a robot leading it -- and how he has successfully guided the organization!! The USGA for all its $$$ and chatter still reeks of old school. The PGA of America could be the leading voice but it's too busy reinventing its mission and sweating over the Ryder Cup "debacles" and engaging in Byzantine intrigues in the board room. And most golf capitalists -- companies, course operators -- still are more keyed on the next quarter not what it will take to ensure there still are next quarters x years down the line. Some of the "solutions" to golf's (I say non-)problems are asinine stuff like footgolf and manhole-sized holes. Finally, as you note, regulatory bodies, TV and fans want more color but then balk when someone is colorful.

Golf's problem is that it never grew to the point everyone said it would and toward which they modeled all their planning; it couldn't. The game itself isn't broken. The deflation is in overcooked expectations. Yes, the industry needs to adapt to that, but the industry created it's own nightmare.

The player to whom I was referring is Patrick Reed.

15. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    time to go back to broads,booze,and whatever else he was doing..:wink2:

16. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct Ken everyone has to be the next big thing I guess it is a result of all the information out there, information coming to us at a rapidly increasing rate. People are built up to be tore down.

In hockey though it is a race and xenophobic issue. A flashy European player or an out spoken African American/Canadian play has a bigger lens on him then the "good old farm Canadian boys." Look at the critisim Alexander Ovechkin or P.K Subban get for over exuberant celebrations. While Patrick Kane does a lot off the same stuff. Hell he yelled "showtime" after a goal in the playoffs and the media ate it up. If either of the other two did that they'd catch a lot of heat. It always reeks of "the right way to do things" and drives me crazy. The sports on the fringe I think need to have larger than life personalities and talents to keep interest and grow interest.

I follow Golf, but mostly the majors, sub majors and team events so I am obviously not as close to the sport as you are Ken. That being said I loved Phil being outspoken with the Ryder cup. It'd rather hear the truth then the same old "we'll get em next time."

I love playing golf, I blow, but I love it. Still looking for my first sub 100 round! I am youngish, 32, but I do the the (non-problems) are real problems. At lest in terms of dollars and the game. It can be expensive as hell to get started with. The greens fees are perceived to be too high, there are deals out there. It takes a long to play, and is hard as hell. All those things do turn people away from the game. I was bothered a bit when the course I go to ($18 with GPS card after 3 everyday!) had speakers to rent in the clubhouse. But then I thought about it, if it get more people out who cares? Let people come out and have a good time. But I know there are some people that would gristle at the notion of music on the golf course.

17. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mean his injurie'ssssss? He's probably play better today(be hard not to for a pro), but if he does put up another clinker, look for him to report a "twinge" and withdraw. He's not the only one who does it, mcilroy did it(and apologized), as have others, it's just the frequency that's so ridiculous, always when he's playing poorly.

With regard to speculating about who's gonna be the new Tiger, there is no new tiger and there never will be. Tiger was tiger, jack was jack, arnie was arnie. If Mcilroy stays strong and progresses as careers typically do, the comparisons between him and tiger will fade away until it's all about Rory.

Tiger is likely done as a dominating golfer, changing his swing(again), changing his coach(again),he's kidding only himself, he's just not that good anymore compared to modern golfers. He's not up against the Bob Mays, the rocco mediates, the mark omeara's anymore, outdriving them by 50 yds, . These young guys hit it farther than tiger, straight than tiger, and putt a whole lot better than he does now, his advantages are gone, never to return.

I would like to see tiger win again, but I dont see how that will ever happen unless if he starts entering the milwaukee or puerto rican opens.

I hope Tiger sticks it out this week, but I dont think his ego can take finishing 25 or 30 back in a 18 man field. We'll see.

18. ken2v

Hockey ain't exactly my main game, but I read enough about it in SI and ESPN and elsewhere to get that big picture.

I don't know that that triad is new: time, cost, difficulty. Taking out the high-end resort locales -- which really weren't more than a thread in the quilt of golf back in the day -- I'd guess that local golf is probably about on par. It's always been difficult. As for time, players of old might've moved around the course more expeditiously, but there also was more to the game then -- drinks, food, the club thing. But our leisure time now certainly has been comprised because everyone has so much going on; how did we ever take care of ourselves as kids, feed ourselves, play, without ever-hovering parents???

For me it's a balance between staid and over the top. I guess at a public access course if someone shows up dressed straight from an episode of "the People of Walmart" but they bat it around timely, know good jokes, aren't gross arrogant racist boors or egotists, I'm cool, I guess. But it's easy to not look like a slob who just rolled in from the shelter, as well.

Most of us suck, that's a fact, and what burns my cookies is slow play. If you're Prince Stick and actually can hit a high, drawing 3i consistently to a tucked flag, then by all means survey the landscape for an extra tick or three. If you're a normal Joe, step up and hit up. If you spend more than five seconds over a shot, you get a slight electrical jolt to your nuts. If you ball isn't in the way on the green, don't freakin' touch it. When you NO longer three-jack multiple times a day, then you can prance around the ball looking for breaks you can't even recognize in the first place. If you don't have your club in hand and shot in mind by the time the other guy hits, we feed you to the piranhas. Etc.

Awareness and courtesy are the keys to speeding up play. (As well as slower greens, lower rough, drier faster fairways, sideboards, smart course designs that allow walking and put golf not ugly condos first.) I've had far more fun rounds -- and played better -- with utter hacks who were enthusiastic and knew when to pick up than prima donnas toting staff bags who you could time on a calendar.

Awareness and courtesy. Two things we could use in big doses in other parts of daily, social and political life, as well.

Oh, and paint every set of white markers blue and move them forward of where the whites used to reside.

19. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man I 100% agree on the slow play! I take aim at the flag, lineup behind the ball and hope like it is goes somewhere close! If I lose a ball, I drive or walk around for a 3 mins or so and the drop where think it was.

Also as to making the game easier in design I agree! There is no reason at said $18 course that the pin should be placed at the intersection of two different breaks! I often play alone so at busy places and times I am often paired up with a group and the looks I get when I say I am playing the whites, not the blacks or blues is priceless! One guy actually told me "we paid for it we might as well use the whole course" :bang:

Lucky for me I have summers off and two grandmas happy to take my son for me to sneak out for a round, but I totally get the time thing. Before the anchor baby came along I played a lot more then I did before!

20. PayTriple

PayTriple The Cucumber King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you are just speculating?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.